Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
flying BOS-AUA this Sunday... i have enough for myself for an upgrade not for my old lady... hoping to either pay the 60 bucks or just somehow see what i can do
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Silver, Delta Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Nice!

I got AirTran status when I took up SW's offer to match my Frontier elite status for them and AT. I finally had occasion to use it this week HOU-MKE. Got upgraded on both legs at the gate and really enjoyed the experience. Out of Denver though, AT options are limited and almost always involve ATL, which I don't need to visit very often. I was impressed with AirTran's crews and the up-front service. Good job and if I get the opportunity I will be back.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:43 pm

Expiration?

I am not bothering to accumulate enough AirTran credits to renew my elite status because with the Southwest merger business class will be going away.
My elite status expires on Jan. 16, 2013. Does anyone know if the upgrade eligibility goes away instantly that day; or at the end of the month>
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Oct 22. FL 111 ATL-PBI FAILURE;
Obama's plane landed at PBI 15 min after mine. I wonder if the debate caused BC to fill up so fast. I don't think any elite upgrades were offered.
Economy was not full. I hope WN is noticing BC being sold out almost every time on this segment and will phase this route as late as possible.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: I fly for free.
C class sold out many hours before the flight operated on that one..
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:00 pm

Oct 26 PBI-ATL: easy success. BC went out full.

Nov 17 Saturday 9:05am ATL-PHL: FAILURE.
No upgrades were given out. The BC section was half empty until a few hours before departure. The counter lady told me there were healthy number of walkup purchase of upgrades. I think with the holiday rush, people have to checkin bags anyway, so they might as well upgrade.

I have to return to ATL on Nov 23 Friday night after Thanksgiving. I am debating whether to gamble and look for the freebie upgrade or go ahead and upgrade for my mother and I the prior day.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
I'm probably cheaper than most and I'm not afraid of coach, but I would expect you've got a very good chance at upgrades day after thanksgiving. I think it's usually a pretty slow day, and judging from the fare being $104, I'd expect the load is pretty light right now...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:22 pm

If Southwest were to continue BC, I would be taking calculated BC gambles. Or if I were traveling alone, i would do the same on short flights., But since it is being phased away, I would like my mom to enjoy BC as much as possible until that point. I guess I will check the status. If the Friday evening flight looks light on the load, I might gamble since BC doesn't have a single seat assigned yet. But I will err on the side of upgrading using her and my credits if I see it half filled in the morning of the flight. .And I ahave been on flights were economy is half full and BC is fillled up.

Last edited by saneman; Nov 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm
Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:12 pm

Aaargh, I was trying to upgrade our tickets because economy was packed. But then this afternoon, they told me that only one seat was available in BC. So looks like we are stuck in economy for the 7:25pm PHL-ATL flight.
Funny thing is when I try to buy a new ticket and then check the BC availability, most seats were still unassigned in BC. I mistook that for it being low sales in BC instead of people merely not getting seats assigned.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by saneman
Aaargh, I was trying to upgrade our tickets because economy was packed. But then this afternoon, they told me that only one seat was available in BC. So looks like we are stuck in economy for the 7:25pm PHL-ATL flight.
Funny thing is when I try to buy a new ticket and then check the BC availability, most seats were still unassigned in BC. I mistook that for it being low sales in BC instead of people merely not getting seats assigned.
I find that FlightStats provides fairly reliable BC availability info.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...vailability.do

I recently was out of luck for an elite upgrade, though I was #1 to check in, and the night before departure showed about six seats available in BC. The GA told me that it's funny how BC paid upgrades are selling out more frequently, since the upgrade fees increased.

Last edited by mke9499; Nov 29, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Cool site - thanks for sharing! Helped me decide whether to use 4 credits to upgrade to BC Saturday from ATL-LAS or take a chance on the six seats showing available right now.

I figured it was worth the points for the guarantee on a longer flight like that.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Pretty successful trip this week.
MEM-ATL, Thursday 6am, TPA-ATL Friday 1pm and ATL-MEM Friday 5pm were all successes. ATL-TPA Thursday 9am sold the last two upgrades right before T-40.

I've also noticed the gate agents have gotten ALOT better at processing the upgrades without prompting and by the order of check in. However, on ATLMEM yesterday, I got the runaround from a GA about how even though 1C was showing open on the seatmap, that it was because this seat was being reserved for a wheelchair pax. Then he said I could have it (this conversation was at T-20 after most pax had boarded and he'd initially told me BC was full) but only if I paid the $69 upgrade fee, and that this was company policy. When I told him that was odd because I'd been given 1C just the day before, he told me it was probably because I'd paid for it, which I assured him wasn't the case. Anyway, he showed me that the seat was full on his monitor, but then pulled up another screen that showed only 11 seats taken in C, and when I pointed that out, he told me it was illegal for me to look at that screen, scanned my BP, and insisted that I continue down the jet bridge. Figuring I'd been defeated by Shena, I just said all I wanted was what I thought the program offered, and went and took my seat. Less than 2 mins later, a supervisor looking woman came down to my seat, asked my last name, and gave me a BP for 1c and said I could move up to it. So completely absurd. I'm glad it worked out, but I hate the aggravation I encountered in getting the UG.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:09 pm

ATL-PBI last monday night. Success. There were 3 empty seats in BC even after my upgrade on the 10:20pm flight.

PBI ATL last Friday afternoon. Grand FAILURE. BC was sold out even before I got to the airport. This has got to be a good sign and hopefully Airtran brand will survive at this location the longest.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:49 pm
dc2

Are elites eligible for upgrades at T-40min if traveling on a standard award ticket?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by saneman
PBI ATL last Friday afternoon. Grand FAILURE. BC was sold out even before I got to the airport. This has got to be a good sign and hopefully Airtran brand will survive at this location the longest.
I don't necessarily think this is a good sign, but rather a reflection of the addition of codeshare BS bookings from the WN site.

There is a problem, though, when WN is still selling eight BS tickets, while, in reality, there only two or three BC seats remaining.

When a customer spends the extra money on a BS fare, to be able to sit in BC, what happens when there are no physical BC seats available?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.