Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Another RT success from ATL -PBI on the 17th(11;40am ) and 21st(2:09pm from PBI) of this month. Coming back , I suspect there were a bunch of free upgrades . Both times, the cabins left full.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Frustrating, and then positive turn of events

Karma worked out for me this weekend.

9/29/12 MEMATL 6am Saturday. Was 1st to check in, and 2 seats were available at T-40, but the GA (who I'd spoken to at T-45) was doing other things, and one of them was sold while I waited. She'd tried to check us in for the upgrade, but had to give us two new BPs for our same seats in Y since the UG wouldn't go through. Since I was with Mrs. Cooger72, I turned down the single upgrade. Not sure if this should count as a success, but since we flew Y, I think it goes here. On board, the GA came back and bumped a service member to the last UG.

I'd always liked that GA, and while she'd taken a hit in my book on my own upgrade, she got all those points back when she went out of her way to bring that guy up front.

9/30/12 ATLMEM 845am Sunday. Mrs. Cooger72 was on a separate PNR, and I'd been upgraded when we got to the gate, but she hadn't. GA allowed her to sit up front as well! 5 seats open at take off.

Overall, it seems we got 2 upgrades we shouldn't have, and were denied two that should have gone to us. Works for me.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Was 001 for both ROC-ATL and ATL-FLL on 10/3 leaving 7:20am. There were no upgrades available from ROC-ATL but I got one ATL-FLL. I was surprised ROC-ATL was full up front - the 6am I usually take isn't nearly full. The flight was oversold by two seats.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: I fly for free.
The flight was oversold by two seats.
Wasnt oversold, had some standbys listed thats all..
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Originally Posted by PA42
Wasnt oversold, had some standbys listed thats all..
Interesting. The gate agent announced they were oversold by 2 seats and solicited two volunteers to be bumped in exchange for a free RT. He only got one at first, but made another appeal a little later and exclaimed "YES!!!" and did a fist pump when someone finally came up. Boarding began moments later.

Do they typically offer free RTs for VDB to accomodate standbys?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:07 pm

Got an upgrade FLL-ATL 10/5 at 7:58pm, but I think I fell victim to some ATL shenanigans on the ATL-ROC leg. I asked at the 45 minute mark if they had any available upgrades. I had already looked at the seat map online and there was one open seat. He said no - they were "sold out." That was his phrase. Since I had been upgraded on the first leg my BP position changed from 15 to 80 so I had been preparing to make my case for propert position, but since they were sold out I didn't bother.

About 5 minutes later another gate agent called up an Elite and upgraded him to BC. I don't know if he had a lower check in number but I never had a chance to discuss it because I was told BC was sold out.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:07 pm

Interesting. The gate agent announced they were oversold by 2 seats and solicited two volunteers to be bumped in exchange for a free RT. He only got one at first, but made another appeal a little later and exclaimed "YES!!!" and did a fist pump when someone finally came up. Boarding began moments later.

Do they typically offer free RTs for VDB to accomodate standbys?
I guess I should have cleared that up more.

No, VDBs would never happen in order to accommodate a standby. What happened in this instance is that it was initially oversold so the agent took VDBs (correctly) then other pax changed flights who never checked in. Since the VDBs were issued and reaccom was completed there was collateral damage left (an empty seat) that went to a standby.

In any case the flight did not close even at capacity.

There are different priority codes for revenue and non-revenue standbys and 99.9% of the time a revenue standby has always the higher priority code. There are as usual exceptions..
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:12 pm

If FL planes are running as full as indicated....

What kind of loads are WN experiencing in ATL?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:30 pm

Not as bad as you might think as far as pure loads are concerned.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
This past Friday LGA-CAK: Success! Biz class had only 2 seats marked full at ~T - 3:00; by ~T - 1:10 only 4 seats were left. Three of us were called up at T - 0:39 with upgrades already processed; biz went out full.

This morning CAK-LGA: Success! I was running very late and didn't get to the gate until T - 0:20; my upgrade was waiting. Only one empty seat in biz class; the plane was ~70% full.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
So I had an interesting experience today, flying RIC-ATL.

Checked in at T-24 and was No. 1. When I checked my bag, I asked the attendant how biz class was looking and she said, "There are five seats open right now and you're first on the list, so you should be fine."

I go sit at the gate and around T-50, the GA makes an announcement that there is "one business class seat available for purchase." Huh? Where did the other four go in the span of about 15 minutes?
Since I had my laptop out, I called up my reservation and checked the seating chart and it had me in seat 1C. Great, so I was already upgraded. I wait until T-40. T-30. T-20. Finally, the GA starts asking for people to gate-check their bags, so I go stand in that line and ask, "Have you given out the boarding passes for Elite upgrades yet?" (knowing, obviously, she had not).
She looks at the computer and says, "Business class is full."
So I said, "Yes, but the seating chart is showing I'm in seat 1C, but my boarding pass is still for 21A."
She repeats, "I'm sorry, there are no upgrades left."
"I understand," I tell her, "however, I think I've already been upgraded and just need a boarding pass."
So she huffily asks for my name, I tell her, she prints off the boarding pass and hands it to me without a word.
So my question is, had I not a) noticed on the seating chart that I had been upgraded at some point and b) inquired about it at the gate, would no one have told me and I would have sat in the exit row while my biz class seat remained empty?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Originally Posted by melissaru
So my question is, had I not a) noticed on the seating chart that I had been upgraded at some point and b) inquired about it at the gate, would no one have told me and I would have sat in the exit row while my biz class seat remained empty?
Weird. Usually when they upgrade you, they call you as soon as they've got an open window. Like you though, I usually monitor it so I can just ask for my BP if the upgrade has already been processed.

I think though, that your 21A BP would not have worked when they scanned it, and that at that point, they would have had to give you 1C. I got there late once and had an UG waiting when I tried to board. I'm pretty sure once they upgrade you, you original BP is canceled and won't work anymore. I think this is also related to the fact that when you get upgraded, they give you a new BP for your connecting leg also.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:31 am

At ROC they typically don't call you up. When they scan your original BP rather than making a "BING!" noise, the computer makes a "BUH BUH" noise and they swap out the BP at that point.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by melissaru
I think you foiled a Shena sighting here. It would be interesting to know if a non-rev passenger was assigned to your original seat (21A). If this turns out to be the case, it's very possible that the GA was holding your BC seat for a "friend", bypassing any sort of paper trail. In the system it would show that upgrades were processed properly while in reality, you sat in the back. Perhaps PA42 can do a little investigating and report back.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:32 am

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as reservation goes. To the OP - If you feel that you were treated unfairly go to the customer service desk if its nearby and ask for a duty manager or supervisor. Those kinds of things are best settled right there and then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.