Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Some recent MKE-CAK-MKE flights went from $49 up to $59.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:44 am

Any recent experience with UG fees on BWI-GRR? Still $49?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
PBI-ATL FL897 SUCCESS. I was one of two free upgrades. Even with the new $69 upgrade fee, they seemed to sell out BC. Good for me because if it was $49, I would not have had a chance to get a free upgrade. The GA told me that the $69 fare for this short segment was experimental. If it succeeds, they will stick with it.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by abefroman329
Any recent experience with UG fees on BWI-GRR? Still $49?
Just call reservations and ask.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Quick question for the Air Tran Elite travelers...my husband and I are vigilant about checking in at T-24, like, to the point of setting our cell phone alarms so we don't forget.

This morning, he was online at 8:48 a.m. to check in for an 8:50 flight tomorrow. The second the "check in" option became available, at 8:50, he did so in less than a minute.

His boarding pass number? Nine. How is that possible? It happened to me before, too, and I was number 13, literally 40 seconds after check in became available.
(Oh, and his is a flight from ATL to RIC, not exactly Hot Spot USA.)

Thanks for any insight!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Originally Posted by melissaru
Quick question for the Air Tran Elite travelers...my husband and I are vigilant about checking in at T-24, like, to the point of setting our cell phone alarms so we don't forget.

This morning, he was online at 8:48 a.m. to check in for an 8:50 flight tomorrow. The second the "check in" option became available, at 8:50, he did so in less than a minute.

His boarding pass number? Nine. How is that possible? It happened to me before, too, and I was number 13, literally 40 seconds after check in became available.
(Oh, and his is a flight from ATL to RIC, not exactly Hot Spot USA.)

Thanks for any insight!
Connecting passengers. If you're on the second leg of someone else's trip, they were able to check in for your flight at 24 hours before the departure of their first leg. So by the time you check in, they may have had several hours to check in and get in front of you.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Ah, that makes total sense! Thank you.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I flew FL this past weekend on a biz class award ticket (so I wasn't looking to be upgraded myself), but I thought I'd report that the following flights were 100% full. People were moved up front, I don't know if those moved were elite or not.

Friday night's red-eye SEA-ATL, it looked like 3 people were moved up front.
Saturday morning's ATL-HPN, possibly as many as 9 were moved (seat map had 9 openings and I didn't see/hear evidence of paid upgrades).

PA42, is there any policy on who to move up to biz when the back cabin is full?

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Jul 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm Reason: added Q for PA42
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
6/29 FL 634 CAK-ATL, upgraded at gate, had to ask at T-40.

That was the return trip - B fare class on inbound got me an upgrade at booking. Also got me an extra 0.5 reward credit (business class bonus).
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by melissaru

His boarding pass number? Nine. How is that possible?
Maybe people like me were checking in at the same time!!! You surely don't think your husband and you are the only ones who thought of that. Heh heh. A minute is an eternity. I have managed to get #1 or #2 almost every single time I fly.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by saneman
Maybe people like me were checking in at the same time!!! You surely don't think your husband and you are the only ones who thought of that. Heh heh. A minute is an eternity. I have managed to get #1 or #2 almost every single time I fly.
I usually get #1 or #2 every time as well, which is what made these two instances so unusual. I believe the gentleman who responded to me earlier and said the higher number likely reflects those who are checked in on a connecting flight is correct.
I would possibly believe that a dozen people were checking in simultaneously had this been a flight to LGA or MDW. But RIC? No, not buying that!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by saneman
As was suggested the many earlier connecting flights check-in time might be way ahead of the check-in of the ATL flight.

If you get 1 or 2 almost everytime you fly you likely aren't flying out of a hub with connex.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:13 am

I am based out of Atlanta. So my flights are usually coming from somewhere else too. If you got #9, I am guessing maybe 4-6 at most were from the connecting flight? I wonder what the stats are for elites based out of non ATL stations and maybe other airports which are not even mini hubs. .
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:36 pm

PBI-ATL Friday the 13th. 5:23 pm flight(FL879?). Delayed an hour. No problem. I was given an upgrade at baggage checkin already. Very nice staff at the PBI location. Always get excellent service there. One older guy with a mustache(I think his name is Frederick) is one of the most gregarious friendly GA/TAs I have met. And not only that, they gave everyone a $10 voucher for food AND a $25 voucher for future Airtran travel for a mere one hour plus delay.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
One older guy with a mustache(I think his name is Frederick) is one of the most gregarious friendly GA/TAs I have met. And not only that, they gave everyone a $10 voucher for food AND a $25 voucher for future Airtran travel for a mere one hour plus delay.
I know who you are talking about..Ill forward your compliments onto our station manager and him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.