Can you upgrade an aleady free ticket?

Old Jun 1, 09, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Can you upgrade an aleady free ticket?

My wife and I have an upcoming trip. She's on a free ticket (used A+ points) and I'm on a free ticket (used bump voucher). If we wanted to confirm upgrades 24hrs ahead using 4 points each, could we do that on these tickets? Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 1, 09, 3:07 pm

I don't see why not. Let us know what happens when you call. I would suggest calling at midnight the day before departure.
Old Jun 1, 09, 8:11 pm

If you have the points, you can upgrade (ie move to the front of the aircraft) in advance for an additional 8 points per trip. Calling after midnight the day before departure will get you the same deal for 4 points.

You can also upgrade at check-in (I think) for $49 per leg.
Old Jun 1, 09, 9:42 pm

Programs: BAEC(G); HH(G via AX Plt); SPG/MAR(T); Hz(PC); was [UA2P, WN A-, FL A+Elite, BD G, Hyatt P/GLB]
Originally Posted by EmoryFlyer View Post
My wife and I have an upcoming trip. She's on a free ticket (used A+ points) and I'm on a free ticket (used bump voucher). If we wanted to confirm upgrades 24hrs ahead using 4 points each, could we do that on these tickets? Thanks for the help.
I have successfully upgraded "free" AirTran tickets (both A+ & bump voucher) to Biz class using 4 A+ credits. If you're flying two segments, the 4-credit deal is the way to go, IMHO. If you are only flying a single segment that is under 3-ish hours, consider paying $ instead ($49 for a "short" segment; $69 for a "medium" segment).

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 12, 09, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Yup, I was able to upgrade both types of tickets (and one of them was an upgrade to the very last seat in business). This is great flexibity on behalf of AirTran. I imagine if I asked a Delta rep the same question I would hear laughing on the other end of the phone.
Old Jun 12, 09, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by EmoryFlyer View Post
Yup, I was able to upgrade both types of tickets (and one of them was an upgrade to the very last seat in business). This is great flexibity on behalf of AirTran. I imagine if I asked a Delta rep the same question I would hear laughing on the other end of the phone.
Great! Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Out of curiosity, which route was this?
Old Jun 13, 09, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss View Post
Great! Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Out of curiosity, which route was this?
ATL-LAS-ATL

Search this Thread
Search Engine: