Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite Memberships Will Start Expiring On 02/01/09!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Memberships Will Start Expiring On 02/01/09!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Thumbs down Elite Memberships Will Start Expiring On 02/01/09!

New elite requal rules:

"Once a member earns Elite status, the member will be required to fly at least 12 one-way, A+ credit-earning flights during the subsequent 365 days to renew the Elite status for another year. Current Elite members will have until 1/31/2009 or 1 year from the date of attainment of Elite status, whichever is greater, to renew their Elite status."

This goes into effect on the same day that FL will end the creation of new voucher redemptions.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
I really don't see this as a huge issue if you travel on FL. What other airline would you need only 6 round trip flights to gain elite status? When you consider the requirements by other airlines, these kinda make me laugh.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta FO
6 RT trips isn't that tough. The only thing that is kinda puzzling is that the Elite benefits are extremely skimpy so I'm not sure why the change of heart.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
It's got nothing to do with being tough or not, its just that they've taken a program that never had a requal requirement since its inception and have now added it in.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It's got nothing to do with being tough or not, its just that they've taken a program that never had a requal requirement since its inception and have now added it in.
As every airline has learned, programs must change and evolve. If you had a large amount of Elite's that didn't have to travel to keep their status, what type of retention program is that?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I have to agree with Airtran on this one..why would they want to keep giving you Elite benefits if you are not giving them business..Its a question of "What have you done for me lately"..Airtran is just purging its elite ranks and will probably make it much better for the elites who really do give them business..@:-)
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Alas, my November 2003 status match will finally come to an end
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Jersey Mike's Sub Club
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I have to agree with Airtran on this one..why would they want to keep giving you Elite benefits if you are not giving them business..Its a question of "What have you done for me lately"..Airtran is just purging its elite ranks and will probably make it much better for the elites who really do give them business..@:-)
True, although the 'benefits' really aren't that generous, so the only true advantage I see FL gaining is that they are able to expire my credits sooner now. They were able to poach some of my last-minute travel from DL on Y/B with the immediate upgrades, but now I'll be exclusively DL since I'll have a higher upgrade % on Y/B with DL and I won't have to worry about my credits/miles expiring in 12 months. Time to burn all those credits with a last-minute trip to vegas up front...
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:41 am

I see it more as being fair to their best customers. Is it fair for people who gained Elite status 4 years ago and never fly with them now to have the same upgrade privileges as people who flew on them 50 times in the last 12 months? If I am a frequent flier on AirTran I see this as a huge plus - less competition for free upgrades from undeserving infrequent travelers.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
It may not be that huge of a benefit since they sell (pawn) upgrades at the gate to anyone stupid enough to pay the fee..
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
The expiration of elite status has been listed on the website (12 paid trips in 12 months to remain elite) since early this summer, if not earlier. They just chose this time to announce thier policy widely.

As far as the buy-up policy, that has been a "temporary" policy for at least the past two years; I think they have become addicted to the revenue stream. As someone who is "stupid enough" to pay for an upgrade on many of my single-segment flights, I'm glad this is now standard policy. I don't mind paying $139 vs. $89 for the extra comfort on a one-way to MCO, for example. Now that I have made elite ststus, I may not get as many comp upgrades, but I will probably buy-up (or credit-up on multi-segment tickets) as I am happy to support FL, and think the "entitlement mentality" that some people develop (not just elite members of airline programs!) is very unhealthy to both the individual and to the company (not to mention society in general).
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:20 pm
tsc

Programs: A+ Elite, SPG Gold, PriorityClub Platinum
I had wondered when 'Lifetime' Elite status would expire.

I received a status match in January and have done 16 round-trip/multi-city itineraries since then, so I'm not terribly worried about my status not renewing next year. Although, I did fire off an email to FL for clarification -- the person on the Elite line was not quite sure.

I do agree on FL's decision -- keep their loyalty program to those who are continuing to be loyal to FL. They'd have more of my business right now, but since their cutbacks in September, they've axed some flights I normally take. For example, try setting up a roundtrip from DAY to SAN or SFO. You either can't get there, or can't get back because of the schedule changes (unless you take a ridiculous 12 hour layover or something). So, I'm flying DL instead right now to SAN and SJC.

EDIT: It appears some DAY-ATL-SAN-ATL-DAY schedules that are favorable have been added, so perhaps I will be flying FL in October after all.

Last edited by tsc; Sep 24, 2008 at 11:50 pm
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:49 pm

I don't see where lifetime has a end except death or bankrupty? I guess I can add this to the 3 lies.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Haha yes, mine too!

Originally Posted by gleff
Alas, my November 2003 status match will finally come to an end
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by rbernheim
I don't see where lifetime has a end except death or bankrupty? I guess I can add this to the 3 lies.
Was 'lifetime' Elite status ever advertised or written as policy or was it a term that flyertalkers coined when AirTran didn't enforce their expiration policy? I don't remember AirTran ever promising Elite status would last a lifetime, it was just the result of a customer-friendly lapse in enforcement of policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.