Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why put the check-in kiosks at the check-in counter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why put the check-in kiosks at the check-in counter?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Post Why put the check-in kiosks at the check-in counter?

I fly to DCA a couple times a month, and I am always struck by the crazy design of the check-in area.

They have a few self check-in kiosks. But they're located right up front, so that if someone is at the check-in counter, you would have to walk to the front of the line past everyone else and ask the person at the counter to step to the side so you can use the kiosk.

Why, oh why, did they put the check-in kiosks there? Whenever I try to go up front to use them, even though they're just sitting there unused, I get dirty looks from people who think I'm cheating the system. And then some other people who could use the kiosks, don't, because they don't realize they're there and that it would save them time.

Boo, hiss. Anyone else inconvenienced by this?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:56 pm
cl_

Interesting timing of your post because this very situation at FL's check in counter at another airport aggravated me today. I also do what you do, which does get dirty looks.

The ideal situation would be what they have in ATL, with the kiosks out in front of the counter. However I understand that could be cost prohibitive. However, what I cannot understand is why they don't just have 2 lines; one for checking luggage and one for printing boarding pass only. That way the dirty looks would be more limited.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
They also have the kiosks at the counter @ BOS & BWI. What's worse is there's no dedicated elite/biz class line at BOS and the one at BWI isn't marked clearly, so the plebians in coach always try to hog the kiosks while they figure out how to use the 'next' button. BWI does have some secret ones around the corner en route to security though. IAD/DEN/ATL have good layouts, except for the half hour commute out to the terminal.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
AirTran, like CO and many other airlines, has a quota for kiosk usage. The way it is at most AirTran counters is to have an "express" line for elites, corporate members, business class, and online check-in, then a "regular" check in which is supposed to be 100% on the kiosk. But most Ma and Pa Kettle-type travelers have no idea how to use the kiosk, so having the machines up against the counter just makes things slower. The only setup that might possibly save time is the way the kiosks are at MCO and MKE, where there are two kiosks per agent, with both set at an angle on the podium so that the agent can help two passengers at a time. But again, most AirTran passengers are not very seasoned travelers so the idea of self-service check-in is foreign to them and it slows things down.

I think that Delta has the best kiosk setup; at many outstations (like my home airports RIC and MKE) the kiosks are in an area away from the counter and cater primarily to passengers with no bags to check. If you are smart enough to check in on the kiosk and do have checked luggage, you can skip the "full service" line and jump right up to the counter where an agent will have your bag tags. Delta has no quota for kiosk usage, either, so anyone who wants an agent's help can get it. AirTran should take a cue from DL in the whole kiosk situation. I agree that DCA, with such a small counter to begin with, has a terrible setup.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:13 am

I agree 100%... the current system is down right silly.

An example: A passenger shows up without his confirmation number. I have to use the computer to find his reservation, write down the record locator, hand it back to the customer and ask him to now use the kiosk to check in, after which, if he has bags, I will again add his bags manually. What a waste of time!!! It would be so much faster if I just checked him in manually right away...

It's been brought up several times in meetings, etc., but nothing comes out of it... The quotas have to be met. Period.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Delta has no quota for kiosk usage, either, so anyone who wants an agent's help can get it. AirTran should take a cue from DL in the whole kiosk situation.
Well, let me share with you my experience with DL and their kiosks. Last summer I was traveling FCO-CDG-BOS-ATL. FCO-CDG-BOS were on AF metal, then BOS-ATL on a DL MD80. All flights were DL codeshare. Of course, AF couldn't issue the boarding pass on DL metal (despite already having a seat assignment).

DIGRESSION - What is the point of "codesharing" if you can't issue boarding passes on codeshare flights?

Anyways, I arrive in BOS with two hours between my arrival from CDG and departure to ATL. Having only carryons, I zipped through immigration/customs, and make my way to the new Terminal A. There were TWO agents working the ENTIRE Delta counter. That's right, two. Of course, having a paper ticket, I couldn't utilize the kiosk, so I went and stood in line. And waited and waited and waited. Finally, 20 minutes prior to my departure, I finally get a boarding pass, and still have to transit through security. Luckily, the flight was late.

No, DL doesn't have a kiosk quota, but I've seen at numerous locations, the ticket counter will be woefully understaffed, thus promoting the kiosk check in options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.