Wiki Posts
Search

Lugge size limits?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2007, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Lugge size limits?

Hi all,

Anyone know how strict AirTran is with their luggage size requirements? Their website says that they allow checked luggage to be 50 pounds and 62 inches (length + width + height).

They also say that luggage in excess of 2 pieces will be charged $50 and overweight luggage will be charged either $25 or $65.

They don't mention what the charge is for oversized.

I should be fine with weight, but my pullman is slightly oversized - 63.5" to 65", depending upon how you measure it.

I've taken this on other airlines before and I'd hate to get slapped with an extra fee for each leg... but I'd also hate to have to buy new luggage.

I've never flown airtran before - do they measure, or have a box it needs to fit in - or do they just weight it & eyeball the size?, etc?

Any idea what happens if it is flagged as oversized?

Thanks!!!
Old May 23, 2007, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Found some more info on their site...

Oversize baggage, with dimensions from 63 to 80 inches, will be accepted subject to an oversize charge of $65. Baggage over 80 inches in dimension (with the exception of some sporting equipment) will not be accepted.

...so it looks like they'll at least take it. Any idea how closely they check the size? I still don't want to have to pay the extra $$$.
Old May 23, 2007, 8:00 pm

Luggage Size

The bottom line is that it depends on who is working at check-in.

Never had an oversized bag but I have been allowed on flights with a slightly overweight 52-53# bag.

I have seen others charged for 51#.
Old May 26, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
No box, just a scale and the agent's eyeballs. They are much more likely to ding you for being overweight than oversized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.