Hidden-city ticketing?

Old Oct 13, 06, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Hidden-city ticketing?

Not sure what AirTran's policy is on hidden-city ticketing, but their one-way fares probably make it relatively easy. Just noticed a good opportunity for anyone traveling BWI-ATL in the next few weeks. Airtran.com web fares:

BWI-ATL $84
BWI-ATL-DTW $39
Old Oct 14, 06, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Hidden-city ticketing is not prohibited on AirTran. Of course, it's not a practice the company promotes, but if you find a lower fare to a connecting city even if Atlanta is your final destination, you are welcome to book such a ticket. Unlike on legacy carriers, the rest of your itinerary won't cancel out if you don't fly all segments, so you can even book the hidden-city ticket as a roundtrip if desired. If checking bags, just tell the agent that ATL is your final destination and the bags can be tagged as such.

FL and other LCCs are generally very flexible in this regard.
Old Oct 15, 06, 6:11 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
That almost sounds too good to be true!
Old Oct 16, 06, 6:39 am

I've done it before (RIC-ATL-FLL was $49 one way while RIC-ATL was $119). Trust me...not too good to be true.
Old Oct 17, 06, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL, US
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I've done it before (RIC-ATL-FLL was $49 one way while RIC-ATL was $119). Trust me...not too good to be true.
Were you not required to check in at FLL? Did they let you check in at ATL for your return flight to RIC even though you booked RIC-ATL-FLL-ATL-RIC?
Old Oct 17, 06, 1:59 pm

I checked in online, which seems to be the most hassle-free way of using this trick. But an agent (or perhaps even a kiosk) can just check you in for the second segment, I'd imagine, once you tell them what you're doing.
Old Oct 18, 06, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by cabinpressure
Not sure what AirTran's policy is on hidden-city ticketing, but their one-way fares probably make it relatively easy. Just noticed a good opportunity for anyone traveling BWI-ATL in the next few weeks. Airtran.com web fares:

BWI-ATL $84
BWI-ATL-DTW $39

how would one go about doing this. i need a trip from fll to las on airtran really cheap please help.
Old Oct 19, 06, 12:01 am

Programs: Airtran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriot Rewards
Is it possible to use this trick if you need the second segment?

For instance, I need to go ATL --> PHL on short notice, which is HIDEOUSLY expensive right now. However, MEM --> ATL --> PHL is currently on sale for $79. Can I still get on my second segment if I throw away the first? Will there be problems in ATL, since it seems to have higher security than some smaller airports?
Old Jun 30, 09, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by cabinpressure View Post

BWI-ATL $84
BWI-ATL-DTW $39
I know this thread ended three years ago, but I want to know if anyone has done this on Airtran recently. I am going to do this in about a month, and I would like to know if the policy has changed... As I understand they did not penalize for hidden city ticketing in the past.
Old Jun 30, 09, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm
Originally Posted by noallegiance View Post
I know this thread ended three years ago, but I want to know if anyone has done this on Airtran recently. I am going to do this in about a month, and I would like to know if the policy has changed... As I understand they did not penalize for hidden city ticketing in the past.
I have done four times with Aritran..
I beleive two times with United and four times with Delta. Most recent one was April 2009. I have not had any problem.
Old Jul 1, 09, 8:32 pm

I assume that since you are not completing your trip you wont get any A+ credits, right?
Old Jul 1, 09, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm
I assume that since you are not completing your trip you wont get any A+ credits, right?
I have never thought about that. Since I take Airtran only 2-3 times a year.

I check my lifetime A+ credits.. Surprisingly, I got 2 credits out of 4 hidden city trips.

I do not think each is counted 0.5... It looks like I got 2 credits from two trips and got nothing from the other 2 trips..

Very interesting....
Old Jul 2, 09, 7:29 am

I've tried hidden city ticketing and I didn't get any credits.

Then I saw this in the A+ terms and conditions:
"All legs of a connecting itinerary must be completed in order for A+ credits to be awarded for travel."

http://www.aplusrewards.com/a_terms_conditions.aspx
Old Jul 2, 09, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by travelingfool23 View Post
I've tried hidden city ticketing and I didn't get any credits.

Then I saw this in the A+ terms and conditions:
"All legs of a connecting itinerary must be completed in order for A+ credits to be awarded for travel."

http://www.aplusrewards.com/a_terms_conditions.aspx
I read this too. I just wanted to confirm with someone else that they didn't get their credits. I'm not expecting any for my trip, but if I do it will be a pleasant surprise and I'll be sure to post here about it!
Old Oct 5, 09, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG PLT
Now that this old thread has been resurrected, I'm also curious whether anyone has recent experience to confirm that

Originally Posted by wahooflyer View Post
Unlike on legacy carriers, the rest of your itinerary won't cancel out if you don't fly all segments, so you can even book the hidden-city ticket as a roundtrip if desired.
Thanks
ivk5

Search this Thread