Wiki Posts
Search

New Service on Airtran to SWF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
New Service on Airtran to SWF

ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced that the airline will add Newburgh, NY as its 51st destination. The airline will launch new nonstop service from Stewart International Airport to Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa, on January 11, 2007. The routes will be served by the quiet and fuel efficient Boeing 717-200 aircraft, part of AirTran Airways' youngest all-Boeing fleet in America.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) was on hand at the airport this morning to help unveil AirTran Airways' plans to offer nonstop service from the Hudson Valley. "I have long believed that Stewart International Airport has enormous potential to attract low cost air service for businesses and travelers alike," Sen. Schumer said. "Stewart is the perfect place for AirTran Airways, and AirTran is the perfect airline for Stewart and the Hudson Valley. Companies often look at the number of flights before bringing a business here, and up until a few years ago, people were complaining there was no way to fly here at a reasonable rate. This is a great day, for Stewart and everyone in the Hudson Valley." Schumer applauded the airline's efforts to bring affordable airfare into the city while increasing travel options. AirTran Airways will connect travelers to nearly 40 destinations nationwide.

"We are pleased to offer passengers traveling from Stewart International Airport direct access to Florida beaches and attractions as well as low fare service to almost 40 destinations nationwide through our Atlanta hub," said Bob Fornaro, AirTran Airways' president and chief operating officer, who was on hand to make the announcement. "AirTran Airways is lowering the cost of doing business in the Hudson Valley, boosting economic development efforts, and improving quality of life with new direct service to top business and leisure destinations."

AirTran Airways offers Hudson Valley passengers everyday low fares, new airplanes, Business Class seating on every flight, XM Satellite Radio available at every seat with more than 100 channels of commercial-free entertainment, and an award-winning frequent flier program.

"AirTran Airways is one of the best run, low-cost airlines in America today," said Stewart International Airport President and COO, Charles Seliga. "They are a great choice for Stewart because of their route structure, and we have a large demand for Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa. We have a new partner, a partner that the Airport and the community are going to support, market and turn into a huge success here at Stewart."

AirTran Airways will offer the following nonstop flight options between Stewart International Airport and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport:

Nonstop Service between Newburgh, N.Y. and Atlanta

From To Flight Departs Arrives Frequency
Newburgh, N.Y. Atlanta 590 8:40 a.m. 10:45 a.m. Daily*
Newburgh, N.Y. Atlanta 589 5:30 p.m. 7:35 p.m. Daily

Atlanta Newburgh, N.Y. 591 11:20 a.m. 1:25 p.m. Daily
Atlanta Newburgh, N.Y. 571 8:10 p.m. 10:15 p.m. Daily**

* Operates Daily except Thursday through February 14th, and Daily
effective February 15th
** Operates Daily except Monday through February 14th, and Daily effective
February 15thAirTran Airways will offer the following nonstop flight options between Stewart International Airport and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport:

Nonstop Service between Newburgh, N.Y. and Ft. Lauderdale

Newburgh, N.Y. Ft. Lauderdale 595 1:55 p.m. 4:55 p.m. Daily*

Ft. Lauderdale Newburgh, N.Y. 597 5:30 p.m. 8:20 p.m. Daily*

* Operates Daily except Tuesday and Wednesday through February 14th, and
Daily effective Feb. 15thAirTran Airways will offer the following nonstop flight options between Stewart International Airport and Orlando International Airport:

Nonstop Service between Newburgh, N.Y. and Orlando

Newburgh, N.Y. Orlando 565 2:30 p.m. 5:15 p.m. Daily

Orlando Newburgh, N.Y. 594 2:30 p.m. 5:00 p.m. DailyAirTran Airways will offer the following nonstop flight options between Stewart International Airport and Tampa International Airport:

Nonstop Service between Newburgh, N.Y. and Tampa

Newburgh, N.Y. Tampa 598 8:00 a.m. 10:55 a.m. Daily*

Daily effective Feb. 15th

Tampa Newburgh, N.Y. 599 11:30 a.m. 2:00 p.m. Daily*

Daily effective Feb. 15thFollowing is a sample of the one-way fares* AirTran Airways will offer for its new flights beginning January 11, 2007. Fares listed require a 21-day advance purchase, are available daily and are valid in either direction:

City Pair Introductory Fare
Newburgh, NY - Atlanta $79
Newburgh, NY - Ft. Lauderdale $89
Newburgh, NY - Orlando $89
Newburgh, NY - Tampa $89AirTran Airways, a Fortune 1000 company and one of America's largest low-fare airlines with 7,800 friendly, professional Crew Members, operates nearly 700 daily flights to 50 destinations. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways' aircraft features the fuel-efficient Boeing 737-700 and 717-200 to create America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline is also the first carrier to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft and the only airline with Business Class and XM Satellite Radio on every flight. For reservations or more information, visit http://www.airtran.com/ (America Online Keyword: AirTran).

* All fares are one-way. All fares are non-refundable, and a $50 fee per person applies to any change made after purchase plus any applicable increase in airfare. Service to Newburgh, N.Y. begins on January 11, 2007. Lowest available fare requires a 21-day advance purchase. Tickets must be purchased by October 31, 2006. Travel must be completed by March 1, 2007. Blackout dates are February 16-21, 2007 and travel to Ft. Lauderdale not valid February 1-4, 2007 as well as from Ft. Lauderdale February 5-6, 2007. Fares, routes, and schedules are subject to change without notice. Fares do not include per-segment tax of $3.30. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. The September 11th security fee of up to $10 is not included. Airport Passenger Facility Charges of up to $18 are not included.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: NW Gold; US Plat; UA Premier Exec, AirTran Elite, Amtrak Select; Marriott Rewards Platinum
This is great news for SWF, my home airport. I wonder what this will do to the current service to Orlando-Sanford and Tampa-St. Pete on Allegiant Air. I do wish that there were earlier flights to ATL for business travel connection opportunities.

We'll see what response NW, US, AA have to this service. Hopefully more traffic for all.

-Todd Spivak
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toddr4fun
This is great news for SWF, my home airport. I wonder what this will do to the current service to Orlando-Sanford and Tampa-St. Pete on Allegiant Air. I do wish that there were earlier flights to ATL for business travel connection opportunities.

We'll see what response NW, US, AA have to this service. Hopefully more traffic for all.

-Todd Spivak
My home airport too. Can't wait to see the increased traffic flying over my house (I live on the flight path).

I'm just ticked off that I've already got tickets (on another airline) to FLL on LGA for January. I always fly out of SWF for business, but always go for the nonstops when flying with 3 kids.

I would expect allegiant to pull out of SWF after Airtran starts. No way their 3 flights/week can compete with daily flights on an established carrier.

Now if we can only get nonstops to LAS
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:42 pm

Programs: American. Delta, Frontier
Originally Posted by rd7242
My home airport too. Can't wait to see the increased traffic flying over my house (I live on the flight path).

I'm just ticked off that I've already got tickets (on another airline) to FLL on LGA for January. I always fly out of SWF for business, but always go for the nonstops when flying with 3 kids.

I would expect allegiant to pull out of SWF after Airtran starts. No way their 3 flights/week can compete with daily flights on an established carrier.

Now if we can only get nonstops to LAS
It might make sense for Allegiant to just shift their flying to Vegas. They seem to go there from quite a few places.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Piedmont
It might make sense for Allegiant to just shift their flying to Vegas. They seem to go there from quite a few places.
Except they could not fly the MD's non-stop on SWF-LAS. So it won't be happening.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
Except they could not fly the MD's non-stop on SWF-LAS. So it won't be happening.
MD83 or 87 does not have enough range nonstop from SWF-LAS. I think G4 need to get more new airplane expect with B737-700 or 800 to get there in LAS. I think they could be work out is good for medium haul.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Launching SWF service is a wonderful strategy for AirTran, as it will allow them to become the dominant carrier somewhere other than PHF, CAK, and FNT. I definitely didn't expect it with the company's recent emphasis on serving larger cities (i.e. DTW, SEA, probably PHX in the near future, etc).
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
MD83 or 87 does not have enough range nonstop from SWF-LAS. I think G4 need to get more new airplane expect with B737-700 or 800 to get there in LAS. I think they could be work out is good for medium haul.
Looking at Allegiants route map, they can certainly provide one-stop direct service through many of their midwest cities, however, east-coast flights to vegas doesn't fit their business model.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:19 pm

Looking at Allegiants route map, they can certainly provide one-stop direct service through many of their midwest cities, however, east-coast flights to vegas doesn't fit their business model.
One of their competitive advantages is the non-stop flights. Direct service might result in passengers choosing another airline, "well if I have to stop somewhere I might as well fly...".
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:46 pm

Allegiant expands SWF flights

Allegiant has decided to compete hard for the SWF to Orlando passengers.

They announced today that SWF to Orlando Sanford will increase from 4 flights a week to 7 flights a week beginning Feb 7.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/SW...ds-10Oct06.htm
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Today Jetblue announced it will service FLL MCO AND PBI from SWF. Starting their service in December, before Airtrans January start. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

My guess, Allegiant is the first to leave Stewart. Airtran will stay in the short term for the $$$ guarantees but will probably leave as most passengers will probably favor Jetblue.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:33 am
VIB

Today Jetblue announced it will service FLL MCO AND PBI from SWF. Starting their service in December, before Airtrans January start. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

My guess, Allegiant is the first to leave Stewart. Airtran will stay in the short term for the $$$ guarantees but will probably leave as most passengers will probably favor Jetblue.
It looks like the so-called low cost carriers are starting to butt heads with each other. This was predicted by Mike Boyd and his analysts --

"At the 2004 and 2005 Forecast Conferences, analyses by The Boyd Group outlined exactly what is starting to now manifest in this part of the airline industry. Growth prospects are declining. Intra-LCC competition is increasing, and the model is starting to run low on easy-meat expansion markets. As of today, we expect to see a further, and possibly nasty, shake-out and re-structuring of this segment. And as noted above, there aren't any real lifeboats to be found in the form of these carriers trying to merge with each other, either.

"It's not that traffic demand is necessarily slowing, but instead, the natural limits to the number of markets where price alone can fill 100- to 150-seat jets with substantially net-new passengers are starting to be reached."
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:30 pm

There seems to be some shuffling PLUS butting heads over leisure routes as airlines look for an appropriate mix.

What happens here will be interesting. Allegiant could leave if they lose too many passengers.

The problem is that smaller airports also lose in these head to heads when they don't turn out the way an airline expected.

NW went to some direct LAS flights last year, competing with Allegiant. This week NW is dropping all of those routes due to low yields. But in the process Allegiant left Madison last year. So (for now) Madison will no longer have LAS non-stops.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
There seems to be some shuffling PLUS butting heads over leisure routes as airlines look for an appropriate mix.

What happens here will be interesting. Allegiant could leave if they lose too many passengers.

The problem is that smaller airports also lose in these head to heads when they don't turn out the way an airline expected.

NW went to some direct LAS flights last year, competing with Allegiant. This week NW is dropping all of those routes due to low yields. But in the process Allegiant left Madison last year. So (for now) Madison will no longer have LAS non-stops.
NW is dropping FAR-LAS on 10/27. It looks like Allegiant beat them out on this route also.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c
NW is dropping FAR-LAS on 10/27. It looks like Allegiant beat them out on this route also.
NW also is dropping DSM-LAS so 1 more in Allegiant's column.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.