A+ Rewards - What's the Trick??

Old Dec 22, 05, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
A+ Rewards - What's the Trick??

Recent AirTran flyer and have redeemed an award. I have tried 7 dates from MDW and MKE to ATL. The reply, Sorry - No award seats are available - THE ENTIRE DAY!

I know this is not an accurate barometer; but, I can buy these for $88.00! What is the trick to redeeming a seat. Or is it my bad for flying AirTran??
Old Dec 22, 05, 10:17 pm

my experience has been better on airtran than others. I find if you avoid Sunday& friday you get what you want real often.
Old Dec 23, 05, 6:45 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
If you hit that many bad dates, just say to the agent "I have tried 7 dates from two airports to be flexible. Could you request an additional seat be made available for me on any of those days?" So long as you have worked to be flexible, then they will oblige you with the same.

I always have an easy time redeeming, but I believe the Wendy's promotion has flooded AirTran's 10% available seat capacity for free tickets.
Old Dec 23, 05, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Now that is Strange

Called back for the third time and requested my original dates . . . Was told, there is availability all day!! Well, jumped on that ASAP! problem solved . . I think
Old Dec 28, 05, 7:54 pm

Question New to Flight Awards--Can you enlighten me a bit?

Originally Posted by JoeFlyer
I always have an easy time redeeming, but I believe the Wendy's promotion has flooded AirTran's 10% available seat capacity for free tickets.
I've never flown enough with any one carrier to earn rewards, but I am one of the Wendy's promotion folks. I'm looking at the week before Easter to MCO. I'm looking at Saturday flights. They tell me my dates are not black-out dates and to keep calling. Spring break weeks are high demand in Orlando. I'm also looking to get 2-4 roundtrip tickets with these rewards. Would it be foolish and unrealistic for me to cross my fingers in hopes that these will become available and hold off purchasing these tickets? I don't have any experience with this and the representatives weren't very forthcoming with what I might expect. Thanks for any enlightenment!
Old Jan 11, 06, 8:27 pm

When are rewards seats released on AirTran? We only recently started flying AirTran (about 1 1/2 years ago) and recently redeemed our first set of awards to avoid wasting expiring credits. I've found it a real frustrating experience compared to the years of award redeemption experience I've had with AA (primarily) and UA. I'd like to get one or two one way seats on the earlier of the two daily MLI-PHF route in May. I've been calling since November and each time the agent says no award seats are available "but it is still early so check back." A week ago I finally asked if the agent could tell me how many paid seats are there so far since I'm debating whether to pay for the seats because the current sale brought the price down to around $100. She told me only one seat has been sold! Is it common for AirTran to release seats to award inventory much closer to the travel date?

I also want to confirm something else the agent told me: she said as long as there are seats, we can go standby with our reward vouchers and get a seat that way. If that is true, and this flight remains wide open, we may try that option even though it seems risky.
Old Jan 12, 06, 6:52 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
I've seen references on this forum to A+ Rewards point expiring. How long do they last? Can you do something to keep them from expiring (other than burn thru them of course)?? The only points I get are from using the A+ Rewards Visa card, and those accrue slowly.
Old Jan 12, 06, 8:46 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by gsupstate
I've seen references on this forum to A+ Rewards point expiring. How long do they last? Can you do something to keep them from expiring (other than burn thru them of course)?? The only points I get are from using the A+ Rewards Visa card, and those accrue slowly.
The A+ credits expire 1 year from the date they are posted, and at that time you should convert them to vouchers which last another year before they have to actually be redeemed for tickets. So you essentially have 2 years to use them.

I don't know, but I think I've heard that even after you redeem the vouchers for tickets, you're allowed to change the tickets one time with no charge, further prolonging the time you actually have to use them. (Can anybody confirm that?)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: