FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   AirTran to join Amex Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/506072-airtran-join-amex-membership-rewards.html)

tj41 Dec 20, 05 2:57 pm

AirTran to join Amex Membership Rewards
 
from your weekly Net Escapes:


* New! The Membership Rewards® program from American Express®*
AirTran Airways is proud to be part of the Membership Rewards
program from American Express. To learn more about the program,
or to transfer Membership Rewards points into our A+ Rewards
program, visit http://americanexpress.com/rewards or call
1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276).

ctownflyer Dec 21, 05 1:32 pm

Poor exchange rate though,
1,500 Amex Points=1 Credit

jerry crump Dec 21, 05 10:23 pm


Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Poor exchange rate though,
1,500 Amex Points=1 Credit

24,000 pts gets you a free rt on airtran the majors all take 25,000 pts how is that bad?

ctownflyer Dec 22, 05 1:20 am


Originally Posted by jerry crump
24,000 pts gets you a free rt on airtran the majors all take 25,000 pts how is that bad?

Beacause the airtran visa is 1,000 points to 1 credit, and airtran purchases earn 2 points, so you'll get a free ticket at least 8,000 dollars earlier, plus no offense to FL, but their mileage program kinda sucks, points expire after a year, no way of checking/booking award tickets online, etc.

jerry crump Dec 25, 05 12:38 pm


Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Beacause the airtran visa is 1,000 points to 1 credit, and airtran purchases earn 2 points, so you'll get a free ticket at least 8,000 dollars earlier, plus no offense to FL, but their mileage program kinda sucks, points expire after a year, no way of checking/booking award tickets online, etc.

If you have 24,000 Membership rewards points you can't get a coast to coast roundtrip on Song, Delta, US Air, or continental but you can on airtran. So if you have MR points the exchange rate is good if you want a domestic ticket.


As for comparing it to the airtrans visa the 8,000 dollars earlier only applies if you make no double points purchases or recieve any other bonuses. Personally I have recieved about 3 bonus points for every dollar purchased in MR becuase of promotions they offer that I have never seen offered by visa/MC.

While their points expire in a year you have another year till the code expires and another year counting one change to take the flight. So you really have almost 3 years to to take a flight.

I think they have one of the best programs around. To say it sucks seems extreme to me.

bork15 Dec 26, 05 9:16 pm

duh
 

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Beacause the airtran visa is 1,000 points to 1 credit, and airtran purchases earn 2 points, so you'll get a free ticket at least 8,000 dollars earlier, plus no offense to FL, but their mileage program kinda sucks, points expire after a year, no way of checking/booking award tickets online, etc.

considering that FL flies domestic only, 24,000 pts for a free flight is pretty awesome.

why would airtran want their members to get a better deal through amex instead of their OWN visa? seems pretty logical to me.

jerry crump Dec 27, 05 2:18 am

welcome to Flyertalk Bork15.

P.S. Airtran does fly to the Bahamas so they have around 100 miles of service outside the USA.

gleff Dec 27, 05 6:49 am

This will be great for topping off an Airtran account so that points don't expire but can be redeemed instead.

Not the best - though decent - deal if you want to transfer enough points for a ticket. But a great deal if you have Amex points and, say, 12 Airtran credits already...

ctownflyer Dec 27, 05 8:24 am


Originally Posted by bork15
considering that FL flies domestic only, 24,000 pts for a free flight is pretty awesome.

What is that suppossed to mean? If they flew international then it wouoldnt be awesome?


Originally Posted by bork15
why would airtran want their members to get a better deal through amex instead of their OWN visa? seems pretty logical to me.

They wouldn't, which was my point exactly--if you want to get free airtran tickets you might as well get that card, although granted i dont know much as far as bonuses go for either card.

ctownflyer Dec 27, 05 8:40 am


Originally Posted by jerry crump
If you have 24,000 Membership rewards points you can't get a coast to coast roundtrip on Song, Delta, US Air, or continental but you can on airtran. So if you have MR points the exchange rate is good if you want a domestic ticket.


As for comparing it to the airtrans visa the 8,000 dollars earlier only applies if you make no double points purchases or recieve any other bonuses. Personally I have recieved about 3 bonus points for every dollar purchased in MR becuase of promotions they offer that I have never seen offered by visa/MC.

While their points expire in a year you have another year till the code expires and another year counting one change to take the flight. So you really have almost 3 years to to take a flight.

I think they have one of the best programs around. To say it sucks seems extreme to me.


I looked into membership rewards a little, It seems that they often offer huge bonuses, like 30-35% to transfer into delta or continental, so with just about 18,500 MR points you can have a free ticket on one of those carriers!

Even without the bonus, airtran simply doesnt fly everywhere like a regular carrier, i would rather have 25,000 miles on a carrier that can take me anywhere in the country i want to get to.

Also even if you play games with redeeming within a year, and changing the dates, etc. the point is you can just let them sit there for years without having to worry about it like on a major carrier, where any activity extends all the points in the account for 3 more years.

Now if airtran treated me and gave benefits as an elite like the legacies do for their elite i would be singing a different tune...

Piedmont Dec 27, 05 8:54 am

AirTran already has a pretty good bonus program with American Express:

AirTran American Express Bonus Link

I guess now you can "double dip" with the new Rewards membership?

ctownflyer Dec 27, 05 9:49 am


Originally Posted by Piedmont
AirTran already has a pretty good bonus program with American Express:

AirTran American Express Bonus Link

I guess now you can "double dip" with the new Rewards membership?

Only good on Y/B/M

bork15 Dec 28, 05 4:24 pm

thanks
 

Originally Posted by jerry crump
welcome to Flyertalk Bork15.

P.S. Airtran does fly to the Bahamas so they have around 100 miles of service outside the USA.

thanks for the welcome! and you are absolutely right, they do fly to the Bahamas, my mistake.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:57 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.