FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   I'm trained! (random info) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/445942-im-trained-random-info.html)

FL_f/a Jun 22, 2005 3:39 pm

I'm trained! (random info)

Hey all you people that fly AirTran. Just completed Customer Service Training, and so of course I became immediately curious as to how actual customers might view some of the things we discussed. Mind, I have no method of changing the companies mind on most of these things, although I’m still undecided on if I’m going to sign some petitions going around about them.

Anyway, most of it was pretty boring, same old ‘be nice to everyone’ theories. Some pretty nifty things coming on our end of things, like electronic credit/debit card readers, hurrah! And new trays that actually have a place to slip advertising and safety information cards into them.

Anyway, the most intriguing thing I think from a customer standpoint was when we got a hold of the guy in charge of aircraft appearance and cleaning, who answered the often asked question “yes, we do wash the blankets.” If their in plastic, they are clean. But the problem is that usually they are not in plastic, and are gross. So he has come up with the idea of *selling* them. Sort of. You would buy a little “blanket pack”, which includes a blanket, inflatable neck pillow, refreshing face wipe (whatever that is) and headphones. Three bucks for the lot, and anything left would be thrown away.

On one hand, I like the idea of no more gross blankets. On the other... well, the idea of selling blankets seem a bit.... cheap. I don’t want to be the one to tell some child that yes we have blankets, but no he can’t have any because mom doesn’t have a credit card. I assume that this pack will be complimentary in business class. We’re not sure if this will be implemented or not.

The other thing I thought was useful was the ability to pre-buy drinks/headsets/(blankets if that happens)/(food if we get some) with your ticket, either online or at the kiosk. You would still be allowed to purchase everything onboard with your debit/credit card if you wished.

It looks like the new boarding thingie is here to stay. It definitely seems to be improving the turn time. Also looks like they are trying to reallyreally crack down on people bring too much luggage on board, not sure how well that’s going to go.

And Puerto Rico next May!

Anyway, thanks for any comments, it’s sometimes difficult for me to shift focus and see things only from the customer’s point of view, this board really helps with that.

wahooflyer Jun 22, 2005 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by FL_f/a
Also looks like they are trying to reallyreally crack down on people bring too much luggage on board, not sure how well that’s going to go.

I've also heard that AirTran will reduce the allowable checked luggage weight to 50 lbs per bag (down from 70) on August 1. Like many business travelers, I never check bags so this doesn't affect me...but apparently the 50 lb limit is becoming the norm among most domestic airlines.

The crackdown on carry-on luggage...now that just might affect me. ;) :D

Thanks FL_f/a for all that you post. Likewise, I appreciate hearing things from an insider's perspective. :)

hnechets Jun 22, 2005 6:35 pm

Yes, the insight was interesting and thank you for it.

...hated it when y'all left VPS for PNS. Miss ya. ^

tj41 Jun 23, 2005 7:45 pm

FL_f/a- you wouldn't happen to be going to DEN Saturday would you? (1769) I WISH all the FAs cared as much as you seem to. ^

RoyalFlush Jun 23, 2005 7:54 pm

Blankets – I’m indifferent as I never use them on planes. But the idea of a ‘sanitary snug kit’ is appealing.

Pre-purchase drinks. ^ ^ ^ I’d do it.

Luggage – I’m all for less luggage. 50lbs is quickly becoming status quo for domestic carriers. I rarely travel [if ever] with >50lbs of luggage ~ even for a 6 week odyssey.

You do care and are active on this board. Nice to see that. Excuse my ‘Programs’ profile making fun of your airline’s name – it’s in good humor. I use 4 letter words to describe DL/AA/US/NW and those are in bad humor! :p

SaveDelta Jun 23, 2005 8:25 pm

Blankets...never use them so I really don't mind. My wife typically travels with a sweater, so not a bad idea.

I like the idea of the amenity kits....sounds like an episode from "The Rebel Billionaire" last year.

FL_f/a Jun 23, 2005 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Pre-purchase drinks. ^ ^ ^ I’d do it.

Whee. I'm *really* hoping this takes off. It's by far the easiest way of handling things, from my end of course, and that's what counts. ;)

You do care and are active on this board. Nice to see that. Excuse my ‘Programs’ profile making fun of your airline’s name – it’s in good humor. I use 4 letter words to describe DL/AA/US/NW and those are in bad humor! :p

LOL!!! Take a look at my sig, I make fun of my airline all the time, no offence taken. Last time I had someone grumbling to me about how *why* were we late, it was just a stupid storm, Delta is *never* late, etc, I finally felt I had to speak up.

"Sir, excuse me, but do you know what DELTA stands for?"
Him, suspicious: “What?”
Me, innocently: “Why, Delayed Even Later Than AirTran, of course!”

tj41 - Not at the moment. But I've got two CI days this month and that trip needs two F/A's due to integration, so who knows. I normally avoid DEN, it’s long, and I dislike the 737. I’m one of those crazy people that likes to *work* when I’m at work. But as a day trip it wouldn’t be so bad.

As to flight attendants caring... well, we’re hearing some *very* intriguing rumors. Inflight has really been cracking down on people who receive multiple letters in their file from other f/as or customers for the same offence, mostly being rude, but the biggest one is the “making up rules” problem. You know the type. A lot of temporary suspensions, which really hurts. They are also talking about putting in some sort of system to really promote those who do an excellent job.

I really liked the constantly repeated point in customer service training “we are flight *attendants*, not flight *marshals*.” The one thing they said that made me thing the training was not such a bad idea was this. We spend *maybe* 10% of our job doing safety related requirements. The rest is pure customer service. We get go through recurrent every year to make sure we measure up safety-wise, why not make sure everyone is measuring up customer service-wise?

SaveDelta - I think the amenity kits will go over well if they are introduce after the “pre-paying” system goes into place. One thing I often hear is “instead of eliminating blankets/pretzels/whatever, why not just charge a few extra bucks for the ticket? I’d pay that.” This would let people chose whether or not they wanted that included in the ticket price. Not sure how it would work if you were buying over Orbitz or whathaveyou, but you’d still get a chance at the kiosk.

RoyalFlush Jun 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Delta is *never* late, etc, I finally felt I had to speak up.

:rolleyes:
Didn’t Delta create the concept of a delay with their super-mega-fortress Hartsfield? If it wasn’t for connecting on FL, I’d avoid that town completely.

While we’re at it, see if those guys in ops will add some HOU-DFW runs. I am a SWA loyalist, I have a meeting at DFW next week and am actually taking SWA to Love. Call me crazy, but I refuse to give any $$$ to AMR and despise Barbie Dream Jets (only Eagle EMBs on HOU-DFW route).

FL_f/a Jun 24, 2005 12:03 am

:rolleyes:
Didn’t Delta create the concept of a delay with their super-mega-fortress Hartsfield? If it wasn’t for connecting on FL, I’d avoid that town completely.

Gah, yes. Although I still think PHL (my home airport growing up) is worse. I swear I haven't touched that in months without there being a delay.

I'm glad to see we're doing more point to point, though, going through ATL always has the potentional to mess things up. I'm a little envious of our just-next-month MCO-based F/As, supposedly their lines don't touch ATL ever! I'm hoping in the MCO virtual base thing works out that we'll push more more, spreading more of the netwark outside of ATL.

thethailife Jun 24, 2005 6:27 am

Love Airtran, never a problem, FA's always helpfull, always fly buisness class and don't use the blankets but I think charging for blankets is a poor idea. BWI to LAX nonstop please?

El Perro Jun 24, 2005 8:52 am

Originally Posted by thethailife
Love Airtran, never a problem, FA's always helpfull, always fly buisness class and don't use the blankets but I think charging for blankets is a poor idea. BWI to LAX nonstop please?

Respetfully and completely disagree.

If Airtran markets it properly it will not only work but make them money. Furtheremore they will be offering a perk that many airlines do not - clean blankets AND clean pillows.

But the key will be the marketing. Airtran needs to use the cleanliness/hygenie slant in order to sell it. Also, Airtran can get away with it due to their image as a 'low cost' carrier. The 'network' carriers (as they are called) cannot.

FL_f/a Jun 24, 2005 11:10 am

Originally Posted by tj41
FL_f/a- you wouldn't happen to be going to DEN Saturday would you? (1769) I WISH all the FAs cared as much as you seem to. ^

It has occured to me that you probably meant *this* saturday, in which case, no, I'm off tomarrow. You should have one of my classmates, though (in fact I'll be flying with him all month next month). We had a very good class, so I shouldn't expect any problems. Be nice to the new girl, though! ;)

tj41 Jun 29, 2005 10:34 am

It has occured to me that you probably meant *this* saturday, in which case, no, I'm off tomarrow. You should have one of my classmates, though (in fact I'll be flying with him all month next month). We had a very good class, so I shouldn't expect any problems. Be nice to the new girl, though! ;)

LOL yes, this (well, last now) Saturday. Great crew! The new girl- Katie? There was a guy f/a, but I can't remember his or the other girl's name. Capt Brad was a little too chatty tho, kept excusing the delay (an hour + late off the ground) on paperwork. But I guess at least he didn't keep us in the dark.

You know whose going back to ATL on 355 Tues 7/5?

FL_f/a Jun 29, 2005 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by tj41
LOL yes, this (well, last now) Saturday. Great crew! The new girl- Katie? There was a guy f/a, but I can't remember his or the other girl's name. Capt Brad was a little too chatty tho, kept excusing the delay (an hour + late off the ground) on paperwork. But I guess at least he didn't keep us in the dark.

You know whose going back to ATL on 355 Tues 7/5?

Yeap, Katie was the new girl... athough not as new as your FO was. Man, I can not believe how fast we're hiring, that's must be around 250 a month. Good for me, of course. ;) And nope, don't know anyone on that crew.