Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official Suggestion List For More Elite Benefits Thread!

The Official Suggestion List For More Elite Benefits Thread!

Old May 29, 05, 12:32 pm
cl_

I'm confused...

Originally Posted by FL_f/a
I really don't feel this would be practical. For one thing, because our 717s don't have a closet where we can stow onboard wheelchairs, there is a place to secure them at 10AC. So I really don't think that side could ever be released to be prebooking. I think it would make more sense to release the exit rows to elites, unless they are unable to occupy them, in which case I think it would be okay to sit them in row 10.
The benefit is getting seat that has both extra legroom and is close to the front for quick deboarding. Exit rows really mean nothing to me - On an hour flight I'd rather be in 11 and deboard quick than waste an extra 10 minutes for the exit row. However, I really do not understand how the other carriers are able to allow the elites to reserve the bulkhead row and Airtran can't. And I would much rather be able to reserve row 10 and be bumped, than have no chance at all of getting it. And there is no reason that I would have to be bumped to a middle seat - there is no reason that Airtran cannot just reserve rows 11-15 aisle & window seats, for example, for Elites, and not allow any others to reserve those seats until just before boarding. The seat assignment issue is one item I think needs major improvement at Airtran.

Maybe even do something like UAL does with E+ - make the first few rows in coach have a bit more generous pitch and reserve the aisle & windows for elites.

Originally Posted by FL_f/a
As an f/a, I think this would be horribly awkward. Most people have not a clue what it means to be elite. You would have to explain every time why the person next to them is getting the "good" snacks. Whereas it is very easy just to not ask an elite member for their credit card when they order drinks.
The not asking the elite for their cc is a nice gesture. Does Airtran do this? (Since I'm still working on Elite in first quarter of flying Airtran - see no status match comment above - I would not know). I agree that it would be awkward if Elites are spread all over coach. However, if row 10 is elites, it would work better. They could even make the seats in the coach elite section a different color, like UAL does.
Old May 29, 05, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by cl_
The benefit is getting seat that has both extra legroom and is close to the front for quick deboarding. Exit rows really mean nothing to me - On an hour flight I'd rather be in 11 and deboard quick than waste an extra 10 minutes for the exit row. However, I really do not understand how the other carriers are able to allow the elites to reserve the bulkhead row and Airtran can't.
Well, I think one issue is the needing a place for an onboard wheelchair, as required by law. Also, I thought elites could preassign themselves on any fare class at booking? So you could just pick 11C, say, and then ask when you get to the ticket counter for 10.

Originally Posted by cl_
Maybe even do something like UAL does with E+ - make the first few rows in coach have a bit more generous pitch and reserve the aisle & windows for elites.
I think here is where there is currently a difference between AirTran and some of the Legacies. We don't have all that many elites. For example, the trip I'm on right now has 10 legs, of which I've flown 7. I've only had one elite. (And yes I moved him up quick before the gate agent shut the door.) Most flights we just don't have them, so blocking off seats in the off chance that you might have one on your flight doesn't necessarily make sense. For the record I have no idea how many ‘elites’ you have on a stranded legacy flight.

Originally Posted by cl_
The not asking the elite for their cc is a nice gesture. Does Airtran do this? (Since I'm still working on Elite in first quarter of flying Airtran - see no status match comment above - I would not know). I agree that it would be awkward if Elites are spread all over coach. However, if row 10 is elites, it would work better. They could even make the seats in the coach elite section a different color, like UAL does.
But we’d still have the bumping elites for wheelchairs issues. We get a *lot* more wheelchairs than elites, I’ve been averaging about 3 per leg this trip. As of the CC thing, no, AirTran does not comp drinks, as a rule. However, there are certain crewmembers who simply ‘forget’ to ask for an elite’s CC.
Old May 29, 05, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I noticed the manifest at the gate podium on Tuesday in ATL as the agent had stepped away. I was the only elite (ELIT) on the first page of the manifest which covered through row 18 on a 717. I saw designations for several passengers as CORP which i assume is the a2b corporate program. But I noticed another designation starting with W (I can't remember the rest). What is this?

Last edited by AdamS; May 29, 05 at 8:10 pm
Old May 30, 05, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by AdamS
I noticed the manifest at the gate podium on Tuesday in ATL as the agent had stepped away. I was the only elite (ELIT) on the first page of the manifest which covered through row 18 on a 717. I saw designations for several passengers as CORP which i assume is the a2b corporate program. But I noticed another designation starting with W (I can't remember the rest). What is this?
WHCR, probably. Wheelchair. Or possibly WCHS, which sometimes means ailse chair, but more frequently seems to mean that the person putting in the codes didn't know what they were doing. And yup, CORP would be the a2bs. There's a good dozen of these codes, and I don't even know if I know all of them. I thought I did, until I saw EXNT on my last trip, which turned out to be the code for 'opps I don't fit into a single seat so *don't* under any circumstances seperate these two.' Was glad to see we have such a code.

Search this Thread