Upgrades? How easy is it?

 
Old May 22, 05, 6:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15
Upgrades? How easy is it?

Was wondering if anybody could answer some questions for me about the upgrades to Bus Class.

First, can you request them at the time of on-line check-in or must they be done at the gate?

And Secondly, are they pretty easy to secure or are they difficult to come by?

Appreciate any info you great folks can offer...
Thanks
travellady is offline  
Old May 22, 05, 9:15 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GEG
Posts: 217
Currently, you can request the upgrade when you check in. They are assigned on a first-come first-serve basis, and can be done on any fare code.

I would say they are pretty easy to come by, although of course it all depends on the loads that day. More often than not there is at least one seat free when we push back, and I almost never seen it full of all full-fare codes, there are always some upgrades in there. The trick is to get your request in as soon as possible.
FL_f/a is offline  
Old May 24, 05, 12:57 pm
  #3  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: St Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 2,023
Are you referring to free upgrades or paid?

From my experience, the free upgrades for elites are few and far between. I usually ask at the gate what the situation is (in terms of empty Biz seats and how many other people are waiting for free upgrades).

In the end, if there are seats available, I usually pay the $35 and bump someone off the free elite upgrade list. For peak travel times (Thu/Fri/Sun evenings), they are most likely sold out in advance.
Tino is offline  
Old May 24, 05, 1:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,757
OT here, but fl_f/a congrats on the ratification of the new contract!
as far as upgrades go, if youre paying and you show up 90 mins in advance youll usually be fine...
ctownflyer is offline  
Old May 24, 05, 5:22 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GEG
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
OT here, but fl_f/a congrats on the ratification of the new contract!
Thanks! I'm really quite excited about it, there are a couple things in there that look like they are very good both for us and for the company to expand. June 1st, here we come!

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
as far as upgrades go, if youre paying and you show up 90 mins in advance youll usually be fine...
Sorry, yes, I should have specified before I was talking about the paid upgrades.
FL_f/a is offline  
Old May 27, 05, 8:02 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15
Thanks for answering everyone. Yes, i was talking about paid upgrades and was really wondering if I could request and pay for it at the time on ON LINE checkin, guess I have to do it at the airport..
Again, thanks all for the information
travellady is offline  
Old Jun 15, 05, 7:05 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: HOU/IAH
Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, US, SPG, HH
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by FL_f/a
Currently, you can request the upgrade when you check in. They are assigned on a first-come first-serve basis, and can be done on any fare code.

I would say they are pretty easy to come by, although of course it all depends on the loads that day. More often than not there is at least one seat free when we push back, and I almost never seen it full of all full-fare codes, there are always some upgrades in there. The trick is to get your request in as soon as possible.
Thanks for your help here, FL_f/a.
ppisklak is offline  
Old Jun 28, 05, 4:44 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
I haven't flown Air Tran since 1998. So is it policy for paid upgrades by non-elites to trump free-upgrades for elites?
sts603 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 05, 7:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BMI
Programs: AA Gold, Delta, Amtrak
Posts: 425
Elites don't get free upgrades, except from full coach fare. I think elites on full fare trump the non-elites purchasing.

Elites can buy the upgrades the day before on the phone, instead of at the airport.
KBMIFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread