Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

First time on ATA (operated by WN out of PHX) what to expect? Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!

HELP!

I am flying PHX-ORD-BOS on 5/15 and returning same on 5/17. This is an ATA flight but my travel agent itinerary says "operated by Southwest". Geez

What to expect? I have lots of questions and have looked but cannot find answers. BTW, I have registered for their FF program which, as a LCC, doesn't seem all bad.

I can purchase upgrades if they are available, correct? Is it $35 /leg? Only can purchase them at the gate? If I am flying two legs in one day I have to purchase at seperate boarding gates?

Is it going to be a WN cattle call boarding? God, I hate that.

I saw on the website that I can check in online. Any tips?

I haven't gone out of PHX except once a couple years ago, though I used to change planes on HP a lot when I lived in SF. Any PHX tips? Can I use the elite line with another airline's card? I have a DL Crown Club card which is by gate 19, terminal 3? Does anyone know what gates ATA/WN fly out of? Is there an entrance to the terminals that is not as busy as others? Are you allowed to use it if you are flying out of another terminal?

Thanks for your help. I am not looking forward to this but promise to have a good attitude and be nice to people. It is the curse of being named "GoodKarmaGuy".

Last edited by GoodKarmaGuy; May 12, 2005 at 4:53 pm
Old May 12, 2005, 5:42 pm

Not sure how this ended up on the AirTran board...but nevermind...we'll give a shot anyway. If this is indeed a WN/TZ codeshare service it should be PHX-MDW-BOS. The PHX-MDW portion will indeed be operated by SWA on SWA aircraft. On arrival in MDW you will connect to ATA who will operate the MDW-BOS segment. What this amounts to is a MDW-PHX round trip on Southwest with interline bag transfers to a MDW-BOS on ATA.

A terminal expansion was just completed in PHX, I believe SWA is now in T4 concourse "C". In MDW, SWA/ATA are in the"A" and "B" concourses. Your PHX-MDW flight will indeed be open seating however, you will be able to make a seat selection for your MDW-BOS flight on ATA. SWA issues boarding passes beginning at 12:01 am on the day of departure. Southwest.com will offer you a link to ATA's website for check-in of your connection/codeshare flight.

Last edited by SWAInflt; May 12, 2005 at 5:46 pm
Old May 12, 2005, 6:00 pm

It seems ATA and Airtran are chronically confused... In Boston, I once flew on ATA, and we ended up at the Airtran gates, and our luggage was in the Airtran concourse. Not sure if anybody else noticed the mixup...
Old May 12, 2005, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Woops.

Man, and you'd think I would know better. I know I signed up on the ATA website and my itinerary says ATA. Now I just have to find an ATA forum.
Old May 13, 2005, 10:00 am

The other night, I had someone try and convince me that ATA was really the parent company of American Airlines. I couldn't decide if they were delusional or uneducated. It turned out to be the former, as no matter how much I argued with them, they kept insisting that ATA owned AA.
Old May 13, 2005, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Don't worry GoodKarmaGuy, lots of people get Air Tran Airways and ATA confused. ATA doesn't have a board here as they didn't have a frequent flyer program of their own. Now you can receive Southwest Rapid Rewards credit for your ATA-operated flights.

And if you do have to fly Southwest in the future, they operate many flights out of RDU, which can't be more than an hour and 45 minutes' drive south of where you live. (I pass right through Farmville when I drive from Charlottesville to RDU, down Rt. 15).
Old May 17, 2005, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
HELP!

I am flying PHX-ORD-BOS on 5/15 and returning same on 5/17. This is an ATA flight but my travel agent itinerary says "operated by Southwest". Geez

What to expect? I have lots of questions and have looked but cannot find answers. BTW, I have registered for their FF program which, as a LCC, doesn't seem all bad.

I can purchase upgrades if they are available, correct? Is it $35 /leg? Only can purchase them at the gate? If I am flying two legs in one day I have to purchase at seperate boarding gates?

Is it going to be a WN cattle call boarding? God, I hate that.

I saw on the website that I can check in online. Any tips?

I haven't gone out of PHX except once a couple years ago, though I used to change planes on HP a lot when I lived in SF. Any PHX tips? Can I use the elite line with another airline's card? I have a DL Crown Club card which is by gate 19, terminal 3? Does anyone know what gates ATA/WN fly out of? Is there an entrance to the terminals that is not as busy as others? Are you allowed to use it if you are flying out of another terminal?

Thanks for your help. I am not looking forward to this but promise to have a good attitude and be nice to people. It is the curse of being named "GoodKarmaGuy".
FWIW, WN does not have any upgrades - its all economy (or if you listen to the folks who view it through rose-colored glasses, "all first class"). I think the $35 upgrade is just an AirTran deal - not an ATA one. You will not be able to use the DL CRC, as you are not traveling on a DL flight. I don't know if you will be able to use your CRC card to use an elite security line, though I am certain it won't get you a better boarding line on WN. Try (try HARD) to do online check-in on your WN-operated connections; they have cattle-call seating and no assigned seats. If you get in boarding group A, you will almost certainly be able to get a decent aisle seat. group C nearly guarantees a crappy middle seat. Hope this helps. For more info, check out the WN board.
Old May 17, 2005, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Some clarification. ATA does have a frequent flyer program, "Travel Awards" where you earn a free roundtrip after taking 6.

ATA also has same-day upgrades to business class. Cost is $30/segment.

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Don't worry GoodKarmaGuy, lots of people get Air Tran Airways and ATA confused. ATA doesn't have a board here as they didn't have a frequent flyer program of their own. Now you can receive Southwest Rapid Rewards credit for your ATA-operated flights.

And if you do have to fly Southwest in the future, they operate many flights out of RDU, which can't be more than an hour and 45 minutes' drive south of where you live. (I pass right through Farmville when I drive from Charlottesville to RDU, down Rt. 15).
Old May 18, 2005, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.

Even when I called the toll free operator I was given the Air Tran # when I asked for ATA!

I opted to use miles, get my own tix on AA, pre board, get premium seating and use the ATA tix in the future for something else. ($50 change/rebook fee).

Also, someone said that you can only use the DL Crown Club Room when you are flying on DL? I don't think it is that limited but will check out the DL Forum.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.