Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lower Prices Possible or Book Now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Lower Prices Possible or Book Now?

We want to buy tickets for the only nonstop flight for MLI-MCO for 3/12/05 dep and 3/19/05 arriv. We are not interested in the connection flights because we find connections a hassle with our baby and we are willing to pay more for a nonstop. But the current fares are pricing at $249 for the outbound coach with advance seating (no other coach fare available) and $202 for the return before taxes! I know it is Spring Break for our area but that's more than double what we're paying for the same flights later this month. I've been checking everyday to see if fares drop but nope. We're newbies with AirTran -- the upcoming trip at the end of the month would be our first. We're trying them only because they are the only airline within a 2 hour drive of us that offers nonstop to Orlando. I'd appreciate experienced flyers' advise re whether we should book now because prices will not drop and may even increase or wait for prices to drop. I tried to see if I could check seat availability so I can assess whether the flight is pretty full (the way I can on www.aa.com) but I can't find that option. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:32 am

Programs: AA,DL. HL,MC. ZL,ZE.
It seems like a lot to pay, but as you noted it is peak season. You may want to consider booking at $249 each way and keep checking for lower fares. I believe the "B" class $249 fare is refundable so you should be able to cancel and rebook should a significantly lower fare open up. You may also want to consider Business Class (J) at $279 each way. Same deal, you could always rebook your ticket at a lower fare should seats open up. At $30 more, gives you a much better seat

If your company is a member of Airtran's A2B corporate program, you can also book the $249 B class and get a confirmed upgrade to Business at time of purchase. Membership is free, so if you are in a position to get it booked this way, it makes the deal sweeter. I know "B" is refundable when booked through their corporate program.

Sorry I can't answer your questions about if they will get cheaper later, but on this approach you can reserve seats and keep your options open.

Originally Posted by Scotch
We want to buy tickets for the only nonstop flight for MLI-MCO for 3/12/05 dep and 3/19/05 arriv. We are not interested in the connection flights because we find connections a hassle with our baby and we are willing to pay more for a nonstop. But the current fares are pricing at $249 for the outbound coach with advance seating (no other coach fare available) and $202 for the return before taxes! I know it is Spring Break for our area but that's more than double what we're paying for the same flights later this month. I've been checking everyday to see if fares drop but nope. We're newbies with AirTran -- the upcoming trip at the end of the month would be our first. We're trying them only because they are the only airline within a 2 hour drive of us that offers nonstop to Orlando. I'd appreciate experienced flyers' advise re whether we should book now because prices will not drop and may even increase or wait for prices to drop. I tried to see if I could check seat availability so I can assess whether the flight is pretty full (the way I can on www.aa.com) but I can't find that option. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, that $249 fare is non-refundable and carries a $50 change fee. And my employer does not participate in the program.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: AA,DL. HL,MC. ZL,ZE.
Originally Posted by Scotch
Unfortunately, that $249 fare is non-refundable and carries a $50 change fee. And my employer does not participate in the program.

I sent a PM Check your mail.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Alternative

If you're willing to drive two hours to Rockford, TransMeridian has nonstops to Orlando-Sanford for $119 each way. And they serve meals, I believe.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I already live 1 hour west of Moline so Rockford would be a 3 hour drive for me. With a baby (who dislikes staying buckled down for long periods) and stops that means roughly 4 1/2 hour drive. That's too much on top of a flight. We've done the drive to Chicago the night before and after to fly nonstop out of Ohare to LAX. Boy adding two extra days was not fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.