FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   Elite Expiration? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/374332-elite-expiration.html)

tj41 Nov 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Elite Expiration?

Has anyone ever seen reference to one's Elite status expiring, or what the qualification is to keep it current? Has anyone's status lapsed?

I never have; in fact, I thought that I had read somewhere that it was lifetime. Pretty sure I've never seen anything on their website regarding expiration or how to keep it current.

Curious because I just received my card and the letter indicated that the "status is valid through the end of the next calendar year."

XFed2001 Dec 2, 2004 5:41 am

Also curious

Originally Posted by tj41
Has anyone ever seen reference to one's Elite status expiring, or what the qualification is to keep it current? Has anyone's status lapsed?

I never have; in fact, I thought that I had read somewhere that it was lifetime. Pretty sure I've never seen anything on their website regarding expiration or how to keep it current.

Curious because I just received my card and the letter indicated that the "status is valid through the end of the next calendar year."

When I spoke with AirTran (A+) a couple of weeks ago, I asked the same question and received a wishy-washy non-commital response. Don't know if she just didn't know or if the front line troops are just in the dark like us. Keep your fingers crossed that this airline's management has the foresight to be different and therefore, will continue to recognize the value of its A+ members by expanding the perks of being an elite.

gleff Dec 8, 2004 6:35 am

Best I can tell, no one knows for sure.

The elite program is relatively new so I'm not sure that anyone who has elite status has ever reached the point where the status would expire?

I recall reading in MilesLink a long time back (when the Elite level was introduced) that status was for life. I then saw others post here that A+ told them it was good for a year. I suspect we'll have to see.

The first test will be all the folks who received status matches a year ago. Will their status expire at the end of December? At the end of February? Not at all?

We should know soon...

XFed2001 Dec 24, 2004 8:45 pm

Elite Expiry -- June 2005 Review by AirTran A+

Like many AirTran A+ members, my wife and I applied for the Elite membership when the offer came out. Earlier this week, I was informed by the A+ folks that our status would be reviewed by June 2005 but until then, we're still Elites. Hope this helps

gleff Dec 26, 2004 6:44 am

Originally Posted by XFed2001
Like many AirTran A+ members, my wife and I applied for the Elite membership when the offer came out. Earlier this week, I was informed by the A+ folks that our status would be reviewed by June 2005 but until then, we're still Elites. Hope this helps

Thanks! Did you call and ask, receive a mailing, or something else?

XFed2001 Dec 26, 2004 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Thanks! Did you call and ask, receive a mailing, or something else?

gleff: I had emailed the question to AirTran and received an email response. I've found that the A+ people are fairly quick about responding to email inquiries.

gleff Mar 20, 2005 4:42 am

Well, it's clear that status doesn't expire in December or February as both have passed and I'm still elite.

JoeFlyer Mar 20, 2005 8:41 am

Elite currently does not expire. I believe that it's going to stay that way, but that AirTran will come up with benefits to make you want to requalify each year.

So just hang on to your Elite card . . . it will get you through the Atlanta security lines and many others as a "fast pass" whereas Silver Medallion will get you nothing. :p

XFed2001 Mar 21, 2005 7:56 am

Originally Posted by JoeFlyer
Elite currently does not expire. I believe that it's going to stay that way, but that AirTran will come up with benefits to make you want to requalify each year.

So just hang on to your Elite card . . . it will get you through the Atlanta security lines and many others as a "fast pass" whereas Silver Medallion will get you nothing. :p

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the Elite card will get us through the Tampa security lines any faster? Thanks again.

dspringer28 Mar 23, 2005 5:51 pm

I really hope there's no expiry date. I got my status through the comp program last year and have not been abel to fly them yet, but moving to DCA this fall I would like to try them out.

SaveDelta Mar 24, 2005 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by dspringer28
I really hope there's no expiry date. I got my status through the comp program last year and have not been abel to fly them yet, but moving to DCA this fall I would like to try them out.

Overall a great airline. I love being able to call the day prior and get my upgrades for $35. Granted its not free on a cheap fare - but how often do I really get upgraded at DL on an LUT fare?

Enjoy them! I do. :cool:

JoeFlyer Mar 25, 2005 11:43 am

Originally Posted by XFed2001
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the Elite card will get us through the Tampa security lines any faster? Thanks again.

It has worked for me whereever I see a priority or first class security line.

gleff May 8, 2005 8:55 am

Well, it's May and I'm still elite. We'll see what happens next month!

Tino May 9, 2005 12:03 pm

1. Tampa has no priority lines.

2. It doesn't matter if the Elite expires, since it provides NO benefits (except for early boarding/priority lines at some airports).

3. Even if your status expires, you can still flash your card and get the "Elite benefits" - I don't think the TSA morons will be calling AirTran to see if you are still an Elite.

Drummer May 9, 2005 3:42 pm

There is one other benefit, for me an important one: Elites can reserve a seat at the time of ticket purchase, even on the cheapest net specials.

Originally Posted by Tino
1. Tampa has no priority lines.

2. It doesn't matter if the Elite expires, since it provides NO benefits (except for early boarding/priority lines at some airports).

3. Even if your status expires, you can still flash your card and get the "Elite benefits" - I don't think the TSA morons will be calling AirTran to see if you are still an Elite.