AirTran's next route may be NY-Boston-DC shuttle

Old Oct 29, 04, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
AirTran's next route may be NY-Boston-DC shuttle

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...uttle_service/

Last edited by jaguar; Oct 29, 04 at 7:33 am Reason: forgot to list DC in the subject line
Old Oct 29, 04, 1:39 pm

Programs: Jetblue
What's next

When are they going to fly to London. In my opinion, they are jumping the gun and just a little to aggressive. So lets recap

1) First off, they have to continue to watch Atlanta. With Delta refocusing thier plans, they are in for some competition.

2) They are expanding at Dallas, AA hub.

3) They want to pick up the routes at MDW, which is directly against WN

4) They want an hourly service, or close to it, and fly the shuttle in the northeast and go against either US Air or Delta.
Old Oct 30, 04, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I don't think they would try to compete with US. The Shuttle plan as I read it would be to acquire gates/slots from US, essentially just taking over the operation from US. The competition then would be AA and DL, but AA only flies RJs and DL doesn't compete as closely BOS-DCA.
Old Nov 2, 04, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
From today's Washington Post;

Should US Airways not make it out of bankruptcy reorganization, several airlines would love to take over its popular shuttle operations between Reagan National, New York's LaGuardia and Boston's Logan International Airport.

Robert L. Fornaro, AirTran Airways president and chief operating officer, said last week that the low-fare, low-cost carrier would be interested in the shuttle.

AirTran has grown in the Washington area largely by taking over troubled airlines' operations. In 2001, AirTran increased its flights out of Baltimore after US Airways dismantled its low-cost operation, MetroJet. The airline is in final negotiations with ATA, which also is operating under bankruptcy protection, to take over ATA's four daily flights to Chicago's Midway from Washington's Reagan National.
Old Nov 16, 04, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
AirTran does prefer a block of gates to fewer gates

AirTran believes that to make MDW operation viable it does need a block of gates rather than 3 or 4 gates. With that, they can build up CHI market over a few years. The president discussed this one of the recent investor presentations. They can fly a lot of mid-haul routes from MDW and strengthen their network. They cannot do that if they have just 3 or 4 gates - especially against WN's overwhleming presence at MDW.

I do not think AirTran is under any major threat from DL or WN. With WN they have limited overlap, except in Baltimore where they have proven their ability to co-exist. With DL, their route overlap is getting smaller and don't forget that DL's strategy is to focus on international markets. I am not sure that they want to really take on AirTran at this time.

If AirTran were to get MDW, they would focus growth there before building up DFW. This way they can avoid going head to head with AA until they are really ready for it with a broader foot print.

Search this Thread