Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

When did Air Tran stopped flying from Pittsburgh to La Guardia and Boston?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2002, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Hi mates
Didnt Air Tran start flyinf from Pittsburh to New York Boston and Philadelphia ?
I just took a look at their route map and could only find the philadelphia and chicago services left out of pittsburgh in adition to theri atlanta service ?
when and why did they stop it ? i thoght that they wanted to open something lika a mini hub up ther e in pittsburgh ?
what i also wanted to know ? will and if yes then when will they start flying from pittsburh to baltimore or are they going to stop their flying out of pittsburgh at all?
like they did with the chicago - minneapolis route ?

with best wishes and regards
max
Old Jan 23, 2002, 6:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
AirTran has not yet flown PIT-BOS. AirTran dropped the PIT-LGA service at the end of the summer due to competition on the route from US (and possibly CO, which I believe upgraded at least some flights from CO Express to MD-80s). I understand anecdotally that AirTran was also heavily space constrained at LGA, leading to frequent protracted ground delays while waiting for gates.

[This message has been edited by chalf (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old Jan 25, 2002, 9:18 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Actually Continental only flies to EWR from PIT and they only fly ERJs. I don't believe they've ever flown anything bigger on this route.

AirTran dropped it due to poor load factors (under 50%). At the cheap, very cheap fares they were offering it was not even close to profitable.

As per flights to BOS that was always a rumor. It seems AirTran has switched gears and moved its minihub plans to BWI, even though it hasn't been announced as such.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
i flew airtran from pit-lga for a while-but us airways fought so fiercly it got ridiculous--i paid as little as $29 each way! so they moved the route to cak and it flourished-they started with 2 round trips/day, and now its at 3 per day, after the success of cak-lga they added mco, tpa, and bos out of cak. for me it's a pain to use cak instead of cle now, but imho the only reason why they are doing well in NE ohio is b/c they didn't try to attack CO out of their fortress hub in cle...
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:33 pm

When US Airways dies, i hope to see Air Tran fill in service to LGA again and then some. Also, how are the loads to MCO from PIT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.