FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   Upgrade Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1572468-upgrade-question.html)

balbacm Apr 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Upgrade Question

Hi! My husband and I are flying PIT-MCO-AUA in a few weeks. PIT-MCO is on southwest while the leg to Aruba is on AirTran. We booked on Airtran website.

I have 2 scenarios:

I have the intention to use 8 A+ credits to upgrade our seats to business class 24 hours prior to the day of travel. Am I under the correct understanding that if I am successful with this upgrade, then I will also get a A1-15 position on the first leg? (Side question- do I get a SW drink voucher?)

Also assuming my bags fly free the whole way if I do indeed get the upgrade?

Scenario 2-- If I do not get the upgrade (all biz class is full) do I still have to pay $25 to check my bag since there is an AirTran leg involved? And I am assuming that I would have to check in 24 hours prior (as per normal coach passenger) so I would get the boarding position SW assigns to me. But I check in on AirTran site and drop my bags off at AirTran counter, correct? Confusing!

Any comments are welcome! Thanks.

rsteinmetz70112 Apr 28, 2014 7:58 am

Originally Posted by balbacm (Post 22770906)
I have the intention to use 8 A+ credits to upgrade our seats to business class 24 hours prior to the day of travel. Am I under the correct understanding that if I am successful with this upgrade, then I will also get a A1-15 position on the first leg? (Side question- do I get a SW drink voucher?)

If you upgrade you will get a BS boarding priority on Southwest and a drink coupon. I don't know when your flight departs but you can upgrade after midnight the day before your flight, that is often significantly more that 24 hours in advance.

From the Airtran Terms and conditions:

Getting Business Class Upgrades: Call us at 1-888-3-A-PLUS-8 (1-888-327-5878) to reserve your upgrade to Business Class anytime beginning midnight the day prior to departure. Four A+ Rewards credits are required to redeem for a one-way Business Class upgrade.

Scenario 2-- If I do not get the upgrade (all biz class is full) do I still have to pay $25 to check my bag since there is an AirTran leg involved? And I am assuming that I would have to check in 24 hours prior (as per normal coach passenger) so I would get the boarding position SW assigns to me. But I check in on AirTran site and drop my bags off at AirTran counter, correct?
Bags fly free on any itinerary with a Southwest segment. From the Southwest.com FAQ.

The Marketing Carrier's fees will apply to all aspects of the travel with one exception. 1st and 2nd checked bag fees will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment (weight and size restrictions still apply).

balbacm May 2, 2014 8:19 am

Thanks. Another question - I have already purchase seat assignments. When I upgrade my seat with my A+ credits, will I get that money refunded, or will I get it credited toward a future flight?

rsteinmetz70112 May 2, 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by balbacm (Post 22797738)
Thanks. Another question - I have already purchase seat assignments. When I upgrade my seat with my A+ credits, will I get that money refunded, or will I get it credited toward a future flight?

I'm not sure, I'm Elite and have never had to pay for seat assignments. Since you have to call to upgrade, you can ask the person you speak to.

I do know that for paid upgrades any bag fees already paid are credited against the cost of the upgrade, making the upgrade less expensive.

My guess is that you will get a credit to your A+ Rewards account, but they might refund it to your credit card.

Eaton May 7, 2014 7:29 am

Assigned seat refund will go to your Airtran account.

rsteinmetz70112 May 7, 2014 8:07 am

Wonder what happens to those funds on November 1?