FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   Airtran Award Flight with WN as first leg (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1553529-airtran-award-flight-wn-first-leg.html)

flyaxa Feb 20, 2014 5:26 am

Airtran Award Flight with WN as first leg

We have five RT award tickets BDL-CUN upcoming. The first leg of the trip is BDL-BWI on WN. As I understand it, we need to check in on Airtran.com. Is that correct? Will they use the same first come first seat assigned method as WN? I'd like to check in at T-24 but I'm afraid I won't be able to as currently when I try to pull up my flight in my Airtran account I get the following message: "[1345: BookingOutOfBalance]"

rsteinmetz70112 Feb 20, 2014 9:24 am

If the flight was booked on Airtran.com then you check in at Airtran.com.

For a Southwest segment the Boarding Pass will indicate a boarding number for the Southwest Flight. Southwest is Open Seating unless you hare A-list or flying Biz, the boarding priority will be assigned at T-24. For Airtran segments you will have an assigned seat and boarding group.

As far as the error message, I would call Airtran and find out. I've never seen that message but it looks like you may owe some fees.

flyaxa Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Spoke with Air Tran and it seems for international flights, one cannot check in online. You can only check in at the airport...which should put us back in the C boarding group.

rsteinmetz70112 Feb 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyaxa (Post 22385962)
Spoke with Air Tran and it seems for international flights, one cannot check in online. You can only check in at the airport...which should put us back in the C boarding group.

Can you purchase Priority Boarding?

Priority Boarding Option — for discount coach and sale fares

Once you have a seat assignment, if you will be boarding with our general zones, you have the option to stow your bags and settle into your seat sooner. Opt into Priority Boarding during check-in and you’ll be upgraded to boarding zone 2 from general boarding -- Priority Boarding is $10.00 per passenger.
Logically that should equate to Early Bird Check in

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.
However be sure before you do it. the links between Airtran and Southwest don't always work as expected.

DISCLAIMER: I've never done this so I'm only guessing, but then so are many of the Airtran/Southwest employees.

flyaxa Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 (Post 22386130)
Can you purchase Priority Boarding?

Thanks...Seems logical. I phoned back, but the rep said she did not believe it would work that way. She suggested we try to check in at T-24 and see if it generates a boarding pass. It's only about an hour flight anyway, so it's not horrible if the 5 of us get split up.

BTW she cleared up the error message so we can now access both reservations.

rsteinmetz70112 Feb 20, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm pretty sure if you hit exactly t-24 you will get a boarding pass in the Bs somewhere. If they are 5 of you and some are small children you could take advantage of family boarding After the As and before the Bs.

An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group.
4 seems an awfully young cut off for "family" boarding to me.

traveller001 Feb 21, 2014 11:11 pm

Check in on international connections is only at the ticket counter... If you revisit your booking you might be able to purchase seats together on the Airtran segment.

flyaxa Feb 22, 2014 5:58 am

Originally Posted by traveller001 (Post 22394852)
Check in on international connections is only at the ticket counter... If you revisit your booking you might be able to purchase seats together on the Airtran segment.

Thanks...we did actually purchase advance seat assignments for the three Airtran segments when we booked the awards. It's just the first WN flight where it looks like we'll be last on the plane.

growlers Apr 7, 2014 7:51 am

I'm having this exact same problem and error code. Called airtran and southwest and they both say can't check in or get assigned a southwest boarding number until I go to the airport. Irritating beyond belief after I wake up at 5:55 am just to check in at T-24, and am gonna get stuck with a middle seat on SW.

genotonda Apr 27, 2014 6:25 am

This is completely idiotic. I just woke up at 6:40am this morning to check in under the exact same scenario, only to discover that it wouldn't work. Called Airtran and discovered this insane issue with Airtran Int'l flights that have a WN segment.

They should allow you to check in on WN website for that segment. We paid for assigned exit row seating on the Airtran segments, but will be stuck with C boarding for the WN flights.

Annoying beyond belief.