FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   Book on FL or SW? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1553154-book-fl-sw.html)

cl_ Feb 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Book on FL or SW?

Need to fly to a funeral this week, and Airtran/SW have the best fare by a long shot, so it looks like I will fly SW for the first time in my life.

Is there any advantage to booking this on FL vs SW's website?

The SW website has a return flight with a slightly better schedule that is not an option on FL's site, so I'm inclined to that. Both show the same prices. I don't check bags. I no longer have status with Airtran. I have a few points left with FL, and have a SW ff number that I somehow got in this transition.

Suggestions?

daw4888 Feb 19, 2014 5:52 am

Airtran will let you pay extra to pick a seat. With Southwest you will get a boarding position. Since it is only you traveling(?) then I would go with southwest and earn some rapid reward points which are more valuable then 2 airtran credits.

rsteinmetz70112 Feb 19, 2014 8:22 am

The answer varies somewhat based on your situation, but generally as an infrequent flyer I think it is better to book through Southwest.com.

If you book through Southwest.com you get 2 free bags and can cancel or change your flights with no additional fees. You can also now get a seat assignment for Airtran operated flights through Southwest.com. Airtran International flights are not available through Southwest.com but all Airtran domestic flights are.

Most people believe it is better to book two one way flights rather than booking round trips.

As for Rapid Rewards points being more valuable than Airtran Credits, I don't agree with that. You can convert 9,600 Southwest points to 8 Airtran Credits. In many cases you can get a flight on Southwest or Airtran for 8 credits, which would be "cheaper" than the fare in RR points.

daw4888 Feb 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 (Post 22376997)
The answer varies somewhat based on your situation, but generally as an infrequent flyer I think it is better to book through Southwest.com.

If you book through Southwest.com you get 2 free bags and can cancel or change your flights with no additional fees. You can also now get a seat assignment for Airtran operated flights through Southwest.com. Airtran International flights are not available through Southwest.com but all Airtran domestic flights are.

Most people believe it is better to book two one way flights rather than booking round trips.

As for Rapid Rewards points being more valuable than Airtran Credits, I don't agree with that. You can convert 9,600 Southwest points to 8 Airtran Credits. In many cases you can get a flight on Southwest or Airtran for 8 credits, which would be "cheaper" than the fare in RR points.

That is all well and good, if the flight you want to take is available for reward credit booking. If not, those credits aren't worth anything. With points you can always book the flight you want, you just might have to pay a few more points.

rsteinmetz70112 Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by daw4888 (Post 22378883)
That is all well and good, if the flight you want to take is available for reward credit booking. If not, those credits aren't worth anything. With points you can always book the flight you want, you just might have to pay a few more points.

It's not always one or the other. You may have to pay many times the points for some flights. WGA fares are not always available on points. Sometimes Standard Awards are available and even the WGA fare is more than 9600 points.

In terms of earning Airtran credits tend to be easier, 8 one way flights = free flight. 8 one way WGA fares (especially at sale prices) probably won't equal a free flight.

traveller001 Feb 19, 2014 8:16 pm

IMO Pad it a bit and arrive a day early for weather.. Which seems to be currently training on a 3 day pattern.