Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

How aggressive is Airtran on WX cancellation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: WFBF

I fly primarily US Airways, along with other *A carriers. This evening I was supposed to fly MCI-DCA, but US has cancelled all flights on that route (and many other things in/out/through DCA) due to the weather.

My backup is a refundable Airtran booking, 1744, leaving MCI at 11AM today... but watching the news, DCA has had all runways closed for a while now and the airport's spokespeople are not optimistic for their ability to operate many flights today.

I'm actually not terribly broken up about it if the flight doesn't go (I now have a backup-of-a-backup on AA for tomorrow morning). But I'd rather not make the drive to MCI in rush-hour traffic from what is normally an hour away, if I'm just going to turn around and come home because Airtran cancelled (or, worse, get diverted once airborne).

So like the title says, how aggressive are they, usually, about cancellations when there's known bad weather? I very much doubt that DCA's operations will get good enough, fast enough, to have much hope that this flight will actually go there today. But Airtran is still insisting it'll happen, and on-time, while US had cancelled all MCI-DCA flights by yesterday afternoon.

Last edited by ubernostrum; Feb 13, 2014 at 6:12 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: WFBF
Never mind, they just cancelled it, 15 minutes before I would have left home.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
AirTran is usually very aggressive about cancellations. Every single AirTran flight in/out of ATL was cancelled yesterday, for example, and many aircraft were parked at other stations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.