5 F Empties LGA to ATL No Upgrade as Elite

Old Feb 8, 14, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List

Seriously... I hate WN.
Old Feb 8, 14, 9:46 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
What does this mean? 5 F? Empties meaning what? Changing all FL to WN from LGA to ATL?
Old Feb 9, 14, 9:12 am
Original Poster

5 First class empty seats in an FL flight LGA to ATL yesterday.
Old Feb 9, 14, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tfc3rid View Post
5 First class empty seats in an FL flight LGA to ATL yesterday.
Booked via FL or WN? What'd they say when you asked about upgrades?
Old Feb 9, 14, 10:51 am
Original Poster

AirTran booking... Am A+ Elite. Went to desk to inquire knowing seats available and they said when your zone is called,, board and computer will let gate agent know.

2 others in same situation... We were all ....
Old Feb 10, 14, 5:34 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
And then???

What happened when your zone was called? what did they say when you asked at that point about your upgrade?

And when you saw 5 empty seats in F , did you ask the FAs about it before the plane departed? The GA usually comes in to the aircraft and does a final check with a printout.
Old Feb 10, 14, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tfc3rid View Post
AirTran booking... Am A+ Elite. Went to desk to inquire knowing seats available and they said when your zone is called,, board and computer will let gate agent know.

2 others in same situation... We were all ....
Ouch! That's rough... hopefully a one time incident with a clueless (WN?) gate agent...
Old Feb 10, 14, 11:40 am

I've had similar things happen a few times, but such incidents seem to be getting more frequent.

I think you should file a written complaint with Airtran. You may get something or maybe not.
Old Feb 11, 14, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
That is such b.s.

I flew RT ATL-LGA last week and on both trips approached the GA in the T45-50 range. Both were unusually pleasant and competent when I asked about the Elite upgrade (I assume they were former FL employees who had a clue) and gave it to me, no problem.
On both legs, biz went out with a couple of empty seats.
I also noticed on both legs that the GA never called anyone to the desk (and again, there were empty biz seats on both flights), so I assume the protocol now is, if you aren't politely assertive and ask first, you'll never get the upgrade.

Of course, that's what you did, and yet still got rebuffed. All you need is Luv, right?

Oh yeah, and the WN snack offerings that have been implemented in FL biz via the classy box (I love that they can't even use the basket anymore - what, was it too heavy, like the XM satellite radio they had removed?) are soooo mediocre. Never thought I'd miss a Milano so much.
Old Feb 12, 14, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by melissaru View Post
That is such b.s.
WN snack offerings that have been implemented in FL biz via the classy box (I love that they can't even use the basket anymore - what, was it too heavy, like the XM satellite radio they had removed?) are soooo mediocre. Never thought I'd miss a Milano so much.
It's not the basket but the cookies that were too heavy. I'm sure the new lighter snacks save enough fuel to pay for repainting the airplanes in Delta colors.

I was hooked on the Walker's Stem Ginger Cookies. I'm having withdrawal as my stash runs out. I can't usually find them in store, at least Milanos are readily availible.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Feb 12, 14 at 9:37 pm
Old Feb 12, 14, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
HA!

And good point on the cookies. Check World Market - they carry a lot of Walker's stuff.
Old Feb 12, 14, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by melissaru View Post
HA!

And good point on the cookies. Check World Market - they carry a lot of Walker's stuff.
"Buford World Market" didn't have them last time I checked, but they had other Walkers cookies. "Your Dekalb Farmers Market" had them but I was stunned at the price (about a buck each If I Remember Correctly). At the time I could fly and get them for free.

I don't live in Atlanta, I just stay there sometimes.

If you have another dealers I'm all ears.
Old Feb 13, 14, 4:25 pm

I had the same experience on 3 different flights on tues, although they did end up filling all the seats up front on one of the flights, although from what I could tell it was to accommodate a family. They said because my tickets were purchased through WN there was nothing they could do. They also said I couldn't pay to upgrade. Tried calling the a+ phone number while I was driving to the airport, but got hung up on after an hour on hold.
Old Feb 14, 14, 6:31 am

That is disappointing to hear.

I may go back to booking Airtran Flights on Airtran, for as long as I can. The risk of incurring change fees and learning the new system is about the only reason I have booked through Southwest.

Search this Thread