Booking with SW companion pass.

 
Old Dec 25, 13, 9:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 59
Booking with SW companion pass.

I have a CP and want to book a flight to Aruba for a vacation. Whats the easiest way too book it using CP and RR points? The website isn't the easiest to use for this. Thanks!
bobloadmire is offline  
Old Dec 25, 13, 10:01 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,207
Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post
I have a CP and want to book a flight to Aruba for a vacation. Whats the easiest way too book it using CP and RR points? The website isn't the easiest to use for this. Thanks!

I might be wrong but I don't think you can.

As far as I know all International Flights must be booked through Airtran and the CP does not work there.

You can transfer RR points to Airtran Credits and book a flight using A+ Credits but those flights are capacity controlled and are often booked very far in advance.

Good luck. Perhaps someone else has more positive information.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 13, 12:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MCI
Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Posts: 1,852
Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post
I have a CP and want to book a flight to Aruba for a vacation. Whats the easiest way too book it using CP and RR points? The website isn't the easiest to use for this. Thanks!
Sorry to disappoint, but the explanation provided by rsteinmetz70112 is correct.

You cannot presently book an international itinerary on southwest.com.

In order to drag your companion along on a reservation with the CP holder, you must start the reservation process via your RR account on southwest.com (irrespective of whether or not there are legs of AirTran metal along your route of flight). Southwest.com does not currently handle international itineraries, hence the re-direct to AirTran.com (where unfortunately, the Southwest CP has no standing).

We've been led to believe is some sort of Big Announcement to be expected in January 2014. Much speculation as to whether there may be announcement of true international service booked thru Southwest and flown on Southwest metal. Again, much speculation about many possibilities.

Assuming your Aruba trip is a ways out, you might consider waiting to see what the Big Announcement turns out to be next month.
steved5480 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 13, 1:02 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arizona
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 93
You can use your CP to get to San Juan (they must consider that the U.S.). Maybe you can use that as a positioning flight.
Intertraffic is offline  
Old Dec 26, 13, 1:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MCI
Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Posts: 1,852
Originally Posted by Intertraffic View Post
You can use your CP to get to San Juan (they must consider that the U.S.). Maybe you can use that as a positioning flight.
Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States. AirTran (and Southwest) do not serve Aruba from San Juan.
steved5480 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 13, 10:38 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 59
Shoot, I read that you could book AirTran flights with CP.

Q: Will I be able to use my Rapid Rewards Companion Pass or A+ Rewards Companion Pass for Companion travel on shared itineraries?

A: Yes. Companion Pass travel is permitted on shared itineraries.

http://www.airtran.com/faq/swa_airtr...aspx?nav_id=85
bobloadmire is offline  
Old Dec 26, 13, 1:35 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,207
Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post
Shoot, I read that you could book AirTran flights with CP.

Q: Will I be able to use my Rapid Rewards Companion Pass or A+ Rewards Companion Pass for Companion travel on shared itineraries?

A: Yes. Companion Pass travel is permitted on shared itineraries.

http://www.airtran.com/faq/swa_airtr...aspx?nav_id=85
The definition of Shared Itineraries is somewhat counter intuitive and includes flights booked on Southwest, including flights flown entirely on Airtran but booked on Southwest.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  
Old Dec 26, 13, 5:56 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
The definition of Shared Itineraries is somewhat counter intuitive and includes flights booked on Southwest, including flights flown entirely on Airtran but booked on Southwest.
So that should cover it right, I just need to book Airtran on Southwest.
bobloadmire is offline  
Old Dec 26, 13, 6:51 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,207
Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post
So that should cover it right, I just need to book Airtran on Southwest.
You cannot book international flights on Southwest.

To use a Companion Pass the flight must be booked on Southwest.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread