FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   When should I cancel my Airtran credit card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1510153-when-should-i-cancel-my-airtran-credit-card.html)

AdamAlias Oct 9, 2013 8:37 am

When should I cancel my Airtran credit card?

I've got the Airtran credit card, but with Southwest subsuming the routes I used to fly, I'm not sure it makes any sense to keep it. In addition, I'm afraid they'll convert it to a Southwest card and make me ineligible for the Rapid Reward card promos.

Thoughts?

rsteinmetz70112 Oct 9, 2013 10:20 am

I imagine sometime next year they will be reissued as part of the announced merging of A+ Rewards with Rapid Rewards.

You could ask Chase if they will issue you a new Southwest card with the bonus.

Timing would seem to depend on whether you are trying to get Companion Pass status.

dangw20 Oct 10, 2013 9:50 am

I'm hoping that when they convert the Airtran card to Southwest that you would still be eligible for both Southwest cards (Premier and Plus) as long as you don't already have those. Do other people think differenly?

BillyBaloney Oct 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Funny you should mention that, I cancelled mine last week. I had to cut one card out - and even though I love Airtran, poor Airtran got cut. If WN chose to build on a good thing, I probably would have kept the card. But they choose not to. FL being absorbed by WN - It's sort of like casting your pearls at swine. Pigs just can't see any difference. Just one man's opinion.

rsteinmetz70112 Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am

I've decided to switch my bookings to SOuthwest.com.

When the new Airtran cards were issued there was no bonus so to get the bonus I think I will have to cancel and reapply for a Southwest card.

I'm thinking I will do that immediately after my annual renewal to get the anniversary bonus. But I may decide to do it sooner and avoid the annual fee and the possibility Southwest will beat me to it.

westau Oct 15, 2013 8:45 pm

I would have already cancelled mine if I had one.

cubachao Oct 18, 2013 8:15 pm

i just thinking to apply the credit card before the airline completely gone. got the card and use the card for trips then cancel it before the annul fee. i can fly out of Dayton to west coast. any thoughts???

wise2u Oct 18, 2013 11:27 pm

re

Originally Posted by cubachao (Post 21631793)
i just thinking to apply the credit card before the airline completely gone. got the card and use the card for trips then cancel it before the annul fee. i can fly out of Dayton to west coast. any thoughts???

I am keeping mine and trying to use the business upgrades before they run out at the end of the year...call the night before to see if you can use them (blah) credit card must still be open and in good standing (the only reason to keep it) I'm unsure if there is a annual bonus....my wife just got it last month for the same set of upgrades and 32 points.

We need AirTran to get international since we live in DFW under the Wright agreement SW cant fly internationally out of DAL and it wont change until 10/13/2014....nonstop luv?! I think not, expecially since DAL doesn't even show up on Airtrans where we fly map...they have little to no connecting flights to get to airtrans international gateways in the same day...I bet they wont combine FF programs till after the 2014 date....and they are cancelling more cities like Pensacola and others. Very bad planning on this merging...they really don't care as long as both airlines are making money

cubachao Oct 19, 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by wise2u (Post 21632310)
I am keeping mine and trying to use the business upgrades before they run out at the end of the year...call the night before to see if you can use them (blah) credit card must still be open and in good standing (the only reason to keep it) I'm unsure if there is a annual bonus....my wife just got it last month for the same set of upgrades and 32 points.

We need AirTran to get international since we live in DFW under the Wright agreement SW cant fly internationally out of DAL and it wont change until 10/13/2014....nonstop luv?! I think not, expecially since DAL doesn't even show up on Airtrans where we fly map...they have little to no connecting flights to get to airtrans international gateways in the same day...I bet they wont combine FF programs till after the 2014 date....and they are cancelling more cities like Pensacola and others. Very bad planning on this merging...they really don't care as long as both airlines are making money

so what is your suggestion??? where can i apply the card that have 32 credits, 2 upgrades and first year fee waived????

slickvik Oct 26, 2013 1:22 pm

I just closed mine after 11 months. Used the free flights and business upgrades on a trip to Bermuda.

UA Fan Oct 31, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u (Post 21632310)
I am keeping mine and trying to use the business upgrades before they run out at the end of the year

These can be used on awards right?