Airtran Website Down?

Old Sep 17, 13, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Airtran Website Down?

All I'm getting is the front page and can't access much beyond that like my A+ Account or Flight Check-in. And it Showing a link to a Frontier Partner website.

Reservations are only available from December 2009 to August 2010.

We're doin' the Time Warp.
Old Sep 17, 13, 4:49 pm

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Same for me - really strange...
Old Sep 17, 13, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

I called they confirmed it is messed up. Said try back in an hour. Apparently their internal systems are down as well.

I think the crack Southwest IT people are busy "improving" things.

Twitter is saying boarding is being delayed because of the outage.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Sep 17, 13 at 5:04 pm
Old Sep 17, 13, 5:32 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
There was a power outage in the reservation system data center a short while ago.

All carriers using the same reservation system in the Americas are down. That includes Gol, Spirit, Interjet, LIAT amongst others.

Nothing to do with Southwest.
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:19 pm

WAGA TV is reporting the computer glitch is not allowing AirTran customers to print out their boarding passes at Hartsfield.
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:44 pm

I can confirm. Stuck in fll right now...an absolute joke. If you didn't print a boarding pass before you came to the airport they won't let you on the plane
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Southwest tweeted this 39 minutes ago.

Southwest Airlines ‏@SouthwestAir 39m

@BlairAB It's the #AirTran system, but it's been restored so hopefully we'll be back to full speed soon!
Several people tweeting that they're wrong.
Old Sep 24, 13, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Any word on what compensation (if any) Airtran was offering?
Old Sep 24, 13, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Airtran worked just fine before WN got involved with it. In fact, WN would stand to learn a few things.
Old Sep 25, 13, 8:28 am
Original Poster

In this case I think the problem was Airtran's outsourced system run by Navitaire. They have a history of outages including one spectacular 11 day outage for Virgin Blue in 2010. There have been several smaller ones since.

Many seem to have been blamed on "power outages" at data centers, which is in my opinion a crock or a symptom of cheap data centers. It implies a commercial power failure, outside the control of Navitaire.

I have designed data centers and a commercial power failure should not cause a "power outage" in the data center. It shouldn't just happen, certainly not as often as it seems to happen to Navatarie. There should be multiple levels of protection, starting with instantaneous UPS systems, redundant backup generators and automatic switchover to alternate data centers.

For a properly designed data center to lose power requires something inside the data center to fail.

Search this Thread