Flights unavailable for Rewards booking

Old Jun 21, 13, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Flights unavailable for Rewards booking

I want to use my A+ points to buy a coach ticket from BWI to MCO in November. Per AirTran's website, the flights I want are not available for Rewards booking. There are a few available but they are either connecting flights (NO!) or early in the morning.

So my question is, if the flight I want is not available on the website is that the end of it? Do you think I could call them and get a different result?
Old Jun 21, 13, 11:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dig4fire View Post
I want to use my A+ points to buy a coach ticket from BWI to MCO in November. Per AirTran's website, the flights I want are not available for Rewards booking. There are a few available but they are either connecting flights (NO!) or early in the morning.

So my question is, if the flight I want is not available on the website is that the end of it? Do you think I could call them and get a different result?
If availability is wide open close to the date of departure, they sometimes will open up additional rewards space; however, it's not anything that you can count on, especially if your date is around peak travel time, i.e. holidays. High demand rewards seats are usually booked as soon as the schedule is extended. There are also blackout dates.

2013 Rewards Blackout Dates
November 27 & 30, December 1, 2, 20, 21, 28 & 29
AirTran's policy was a lot more liberal, prior to Southwest entering the picture.
Old Jun 21, 13, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
What have you got to lose? Call them! That will get you a lot further than speculation.
Old Jun 25, 13, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Executive PLT, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Avis First, Hertz
I have tried calling several times to open up space and right now I am at 0% succcess rate. Its really becoming aggravating to use these AirTran points.
Old Jun 25, 13, 11:29 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Not this far out...Grab what you can booking on Airtran.com and same day standby for free is still in effect. Show early and you might get on the direct.

And check again closer to departure if something opens up.

This is one thing you will like about Southwest booking with points... although the points price can be low or high depending on how soon.

Last edited by traveller001; Jun 26, 13 at 12:56 am
Old Jun 26, 13, 5:14 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
I never book that far ahead with credits on AirTran. In looking around, the availability does look strange and limited on that route--I hope it isn't a trend. Nonstops are limited for months prior to November. October (?) is sold out for coach awards. On the plus side, a $108 OW fare looks widely available; I usually don't use a coach award unless the fare is over $200.

One advantage with AirTran is that the "high" award ticket actually gives you Business Class, it is wide open unless you are talking about Thanksgiving.
Old Jun 27, 13, 1:44 pm

My advice: Wait for a real AirTran/Southwest sale. You'll see availability during these sales.
Old Jul 1, 13, 10:05 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Calipso View Post
My advice: Wait for a real AirTran/Southwest sale. You'll see availability during these sales.
OTOH.. The codeshare has really offered more not less connections out of BWI. Sales may only compound that.

Search this Thread