Wiki Posts
Search

Booking in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
Booking in-flight

Has anyone else had issues booking flights in-flight on FL? The last flight I took (~1 month ago), the airtran.com and southwest.com booking engine would not load (would not "submit" past the initial search input page), and I wasn't able to take advantage of the $5 in-flight discount per one-way. Kayak/priceline/others worked fine up until the final booking screen. Not a big deal, but once I landed and got to WiFi, the ticket prices had of course jumped (landed around 12:30am on a Friday).

Mainly just curious if they've fixed that issue since my last flight since maybe it was just a temporary site upgrade. Otherwise I'll book before heading up in the air next time and ditch the $5 discount .
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
I believe the $5 in-flight discount is no more. I think it ended sometime around the beginning of this year.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cooger72
I believe the $5 in-flight discount is no more. I think it ended sometime around the beginning of this year.
Strange -- the advertisement still showed up for $5 off, it just wouldn't let me search for flights on airtran.com.

On a separate note, the booking engines must be in transition right now? I'm seeing some codeshare legs being added in to airtran.com search results (i.e., BOS-ATL has BOS-BWI on SW metal + BWI-ATL on FL metal).
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
Originally Posted by pykerl
Has anyone else had issues booking flights in-flight on FL? The last flight I took (~1 month ago), the airtran.com and southwest.com booking engine would not load (would not "submit" past the initial search input page), and I wasn't able to take advantage of the $5 in-flight discount per one-way.
I've been having the same issue as well for the past month now on multiple flights. After pressing the "Submit" button, the results page loads for 60 seconds to no avail before timing out with a 500 Internal Server Error. I've only had it happen, though, when connected to free GoGo Inflight; I've not had an issue on any other connection, including paid GoGo Inflight. For some reason, it no longer seems to recognize me as being in-flight after I pay.

The only experiences I have are on Internet Explorer 10 on my Windows Phone, which is however supposed to be exactly the same as Internet Explorer 10 on Windows. Which browser(s) are (have) you been using?

Originally Posted by pykerl
Mainly just curious if they've fixed that issue since my last flight since maybe it was just a temporary site upgrade. Otherwise I'll book before heading up in the air next time and ditch the $5 discount .
I last tried it on June 12, and failed miserably with the same results. I would think it would be a good idea to do so, especially when you need to lock in a fare. Remember that if the fare does drop within 24 hours, you're more than welcome to rebook online by yourself or call in for a full refund without penalty.

Originally Posted by cooger72
I've been offered it in-flight on free GoGo Inflight for the past month now on every flight I've taken - maybe that's where the issue is? The offer no longer exists but the reservations system is still trying to offer it, per se, and apply the discount?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaloola
Which browser(s) are (have) you been using?
In that instance I used quite a few browsers -- Chrome, IE, Firefox on my laptop and two different mobile browsers on my phone (via gogo Wifi as well), all to no avail. It happened on both the free airtran.com access (without purchasing gogo) as well as after I had paid to get gogo. Airtran is sending over a $50 southwest (d'oh!) voucher as some compensation however, so not all bad.

Not sure what's been going on lately -- airtran.com still has some odd fares that I can't book or even see through sites other than airtran.com. Hopefully it's only temporary, since I don't typically book through airtran.com (usually thankyou.com so I can use my credit card points at a premium value).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.