Air Tran adding markets?

 
Old May 23, 13, 2:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Gold, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 224
Air Tran adding markets?

Got an email today about the continued integration of A+ Rewards and WN's program and found this interesting:

While some AirTran destinations are converting to Southwest, there are also some markets where we are adding AirTran service that has historically been served only by Southwest. Beginning November 3, 2013, we will begin offering AirTran service from Oklahoma City, OK; Hartford/Springfield, CT; Louisville, KY; and Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA. These are just a few more examples of the progress that we continue to make through this integration process.

What could be the thinking here? Possibly keeping the Air Tran brand with its biz class, bag and change fees and operating them as separate carriers? Or is that just wishful thinking?
melissaru is offline  
Old May 23, 13, 2:34 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,375
Originally Posted by melissaru View Post
Got an email today about the continued integration of A+ Rewards and WN's program and found this interesting:

While some AirTran destinations are converting to Southwest, there are also some markets where we are adding AirTran service that has historically been served only by Southwest. Beginning November 3, 2013, we will begin offering AirTran service from Oklahoma City, OK; Hartford/Springfield, CT; Louisville, KY; and Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA. These are just a few more examples of the progress that we continue to make through this integration process.

What could be the thinking here? Possibly keeping the Air Tran brand with its biz class, bag and change fees and operating them as separate carriers? Or is that just wishful thinking?
Full(er) 717's at those stations save WN 737's for high-cap routes.
LegalTender is online now  
Old May 23, 13, 3:25 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,677
Thank God. Seems like Airtran will stick around.
BillyBaloney is offline  
Old May 23, 13, 4:09 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,375
How is this not a livery re-alignment to optimize seat inventory in mid-to-small markets?
LegalTender is online now  
Old May 24, 13, 12:50 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SOF, ORD
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 806
Reasoning

I don't see it necessarily as fleet optimization as some have claimed. They may be adding international routes out of those cities to destinations AirTran already flies to and since Southwest can't handle international bookings yet, they have no choice but to use AirTran instead.

I did read the e-mail and just hated the part about the "good" progress made. This integration has been so slow and painful. They claim their networks are "fully" connected now but that's far from the truth. Yes, more options are available on southwest.com but certainly not all possible combinations. And while you can purchase an all FL itinerary on southwest.com, you cannot do that on airtran.com The reservation needs to contain at least 1 FL segment to be booked there. Very few WN flights are code-shared as FL flights and most of the time, no options are presented on routes and a redirect to southwest.com is provided instead. As a FL gift card holder, that doesn't work for me. They haven't allowed use of those funds on southwest.com, so I still have $160+ to use on flights that are disappearing rapidly. Bottom line, I'm quite unhappy with how this integration has turned out. Can't wait to redeem all my credits and use up my gift card funds and be done with this whole mess. No more Southwest or FLdbaWN. Enough is enough.
Phoenixtinct is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 6:23 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,677
Still, nobody can tell me how they will completely get rid of FL, if it indeed necessary for international travel. WN isn't going to implement seat numbers. So what is the outcome? FL will have to stick around.
BillyBaloney is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 7:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 4,375
"Slow and painful" is the ideal description.

I see no realization of target milestones, much less a game plan.

More of a stress test to see if FL bookings hold up and they'll re-tool accordingly.
LegalTender is online now  
Old May 24, 13, 6:10 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 1,412
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct View Post
I don't see it necessarily as fleet optimization as some have claimed. They may be adding international routes out of those cities to destinations AirTran already flies to and since Southwest can't handle international bookings yet, they have no choice but to use AirTran instead.
Out of curiosity I checked the new cities thinking some of it might have been repositioning opportunities mid-way for International flights.

But it's all 717s and apparently all into/out of ATL. Some of them offer 1-stop no plane change onto a final destination ala WN.

ORF-ATL seems to get better frequency with more total seats per day.

Last edited by traveller001; May 24, 13 at 6:16 pm
traveller001 is offline  
Old May 27, 13, 9:40 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Dallas, TX, AA 3MM EXP, WN
Posts: 1,806
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney View Post
Still, nobody can tell me how they will completely get rid of FL, if it indeed necessary for international travel. WN isn't going to implement seat numbers. So what is the outcome? FL will have to stick around.
What does seat numbers have to do with International? Why do you think one must have assigned seats to fly international?
MrMan is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 11:07 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Runway 22 @ KROC
Posts: 705
I suppose they have to do somthing with the 717's that were removed from cities that went 'WN' (like ROC). At least til Delta gets them.
United_727 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread