Airtran late flight question.

Old Apr 18, 13, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Airtran late flight question.

How good is Airtran at handling customers who suffer with late flights?

I have a one hour layover in ATL in July.

BOS-ATL-LAS. Early morning flights.

Checking the history of these flights shows that the Boston flight is late a fine majority of the time and would make getting my connecting flight potentially difficult. The next flight from ATL-LAS isn't for 12 hours. Considering I'm booked business class and such, would they try pawning me off on Southwest?

It's absolutely baffling how often the flight from Boston at 6:55 doesn't leave until 7:30am or 8am.
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Calipso View Post
It's absolutely baffling how often the flight from Boston at 6:55 doesn't leave until 7:30am or 8am.
FlightAware shows FL 690 departs +5 minutes, on average, but did leave Logan 91 min late today.

AirTran domestic has adjacent ATL concourses, joined by train and moving sidewalk. Likely worst-case connect is 8-10 minutes. And no worse than 2-4 minutes if ATL-LAS is in the same concourse as your inbound.
Old Apr 18, 13, 9:59 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by Calipso View Post
How good is Airtran at handling customers who suffer with late flights?

I have a one hour layover in ATL in July.

BOS-ATL-LAS. Early morning flights.

Checking the history of these flights shows that the Boston flight is late a fine majority of the time and would make getting my connecting flight potentially difficult. The next flight from ATL-LAS isn't for 12 hours. Considering I'm booked business class and such, would they try pawning me off on Southwest?

I was flying business class LAS-ATL last summer, and the flight was delayed a few hours because of mechanical problems. But it was long enough that every connecting passenger would miss their connection in ATL, so they had to rebook everyone. I inquired about WN flights direct to my final destination at BWI, and they said they couldn't put FL passengers on WN. I ended up flying to ATL on the redeye, and got home about 13 hours late.

Anyway, things could have changed in the past nine months, but last summer, even when I asked, they wouldn't put me on WN.
Old Apr 19, 13, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by WebDesignGuy View Post
I was flying business class LAS-ATL last summer, and the flight was delayed a few hours because of mechanical problems. But it was long enough that every connecting passenger would miss their connection in ATL, so they had to rebook everyone. I inquired about WN flights direct to my final destination at BWI, and they said they couldn't put FL passengers on WN. I ended up flying to ATL on the redeye, and got home about 13 hours late.

Anyway, things could have changed in the past nine months, but last summer, even when I asked, they wouldn't put me on WN.
Last summer, you couldn't book SW flights on airtran.com and vice versa, now you can. Things most definitely have changed.
Old Apr 19, 13, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why wouldn't OP call FL to see what the current policy is? Clearly there is technology to accomplish what OP is asking. But, whether a FL GA would rebook onto WN is a question in the nere and now.
Old Apr 23, 13, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
FlightAware shows FL 690 departs +5 minutes, on average, but did leave Logan 91 min late today.

AirTran domestic has adjacent ATL concourses, joined by train and moving sidewalk. Likely worst-case connect is 8-10 minutes. And no worse than 2-4 minutes if ATL-LAS is in the same concourse as your inbound.
From Airtran's own website they show a high number of delays and the history search of Flightaware seems they are getting better.

Just curious. I didn't want to waste 16 credits and being forced on Southwest. I have enough southwest points if I wanted to fly with them.

Search this Thread