A+ Elite Benefits Apply to Companion

Old Apr 17, 13, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

A+ Elite Benefits Apply to Companion

So I'm about to make A+ Elite next week and have a trip already scheduled with a buddy of mine in May. I know that he has the possibility of being upgraded within 40 minutes life I do, but does he get the 2 free checked bags benefit as well if he's on my PNR?
Old Apr 17, 13, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 View Post
So I'm about to make A+ Elite next week and have a trip already scheduled with a buddy of mine in May. I know that he has the possibility of being upgraded within 40 minutes life I do, but does he get the 2 free checked bags benefit as well if he's on my PNR?
No. Companion upgrades, yes, companion bags, no.

But if you check in together, and you each have one bag, you can just check them as 2 bags of yours...
Old Apr 18, 13, 8:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Thanks I didn't know about the companion benefit for upgrades.
Old Apr 18, 13, 11:39 pm

Could you use business class upgrade for companion 48 hours in advance?
Old Apr 19, 13, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
Thanks I didn't know about the companion benefit for upgrades.
To clarify, its only 1 companion that can get upgraded. If you have you and 3 others on the PNR (party of 4), at best you can get 2 upgrades. Or at least, that is how it was applied when I had a group of 4.
Old Apr 19, 13, 6:18 am
Original Poster

How about other elite benefits like 1st boarding and expedited security lines? Does anything else besides the upgrade chance apply to a companion?
Old Apr 19, 13, 7:59 am

How about other elite benefits like 1st boarding and expedited security lines? Does anything else besides the upgrade chance apply to a companion?
Security line is really at the discretion of the security to let a companion go with you.
Old Apr 22, 13, 2:58 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
Could you use business class upgrade for companion 48 hours in advance?
That's a very valid option to ensure BC (for 4 credits per person) and of course the security lane and free bags.

To the OP - Since your travel was booked prior to making Elite they'll likely have to reenter your A+ number to update current status.
Old Apr 23, 13, 5:19 am

My wife and I have always boarded together, whether we got upgraded or not. I've heard them state before "If in a group, board with the highest priority in your party".

I've talked my way with my wife into expedited security lines in the past, too, where applicable. Just ask nicely.
Old Apr 23, 13, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001 View Post
That's a very valid option to ensure BC (for 4 credits per person) and of course the security lane and free bags.

To the OP - Since your travel was booked prior to making Elite they'll likely have to reenter your A+ number to update current status.
I think the reentering the number thing is a Southwest problem. I was just able to change to an exit row for free, and it sent me a confirmation email saying "thank you AirTran preferred customer."

Last edited by NCLSEA123; Apr 23, 13 at 3:08 pm Reason: Wording
Old Apr 25, 13, 5:15 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
I think the reentering the number thing is a Southwest problem. I was just able to change to an exit row for free, and it sent me a confirmation email saying "thank you AirTran preferred customer."
Well congrats then! Did you try it on the May reservation?
Old Apr 26, 13, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001 View Post
Well congrats then! Did you try it on the May reservation?
Yep

Search this Thread