FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   A+ Elite Benefits Apply to Companion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1459329-elite-benefits-apply-companion.html)

NCLSEA123 Apr 17, 2013 4:36 pm

A+ Elite Benefits Apply to Companion

So I'm about to make A+ Elite next week and have a trip already scheduled with a buddy of mine in May. I know that he has the possibility of being upgraded within 40 minutes life I do, but does he get the 2 free checked bags benefit as well if he's on my PNR?

dk240t Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 (Post 20608942)
So I'm about to make A+ Elite next week and have a trip already scheduled with a buddy of mine in May. I know that he has the possibility of being upgraded within 40 minutes life I do, but does he get the 2 free checked bags benefit as well if he's on my PNR?

No. Companion upgrades, yes, companion bags, no.

But if you check in together, and you each have one bag, you can just check them as 2 bags of yours...

slickvik Apr 18, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks I didn't know about the companion benefit for upgrades.

slickvik Apr 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Could you use business class upgrade for companion 48 hours in advance?

dk240t Apr 19, 2013 5:38 am

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 20611960)
Thanks I didn't know about the companion benefit for upgrades.

To clarify, its only 1 companion that can get upgraded. If you have you and 3 others on the PNR (party of 4), at best you can get 2 upgrades. Or at least, that is how it was applied when I had a group of 4.

NCLSEA123 Apr 19, 2013 6:18 am

How about other elite benefits like 1st boarding and expedited security lines? Does anything else besides the upgrade chance apply to a companion?

slickvik Apr 19, 2013 7:59 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 (Post 20617303)
How about other elite benefits like 1st boarding and expedited security lines? Does anything else besides the upgrade chance apply to a companion?

Security line is really at the discretion of the security to let a companion go with you.

traveller001 Apr 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 20616380)
Could you use business class upgrade for companion 48 hours in advance?

That's a very valid option to ensure BC (for 4 credits per person) and of course the security lane and free bags.

To the OP - Since your travel was booked prior to making Elite they'll likely have to reenter your A+ number to update current status.

dk240t Apr 23, 2013 5:19 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 (Post 20617303)

My wife and I have always boarded together, whether we got upgraded or not. I've heard them state before "If in a group, board with the highest priority in your party".

I've talked my way with my wife into expedited security lines in the past, too, where applicable. Just ask nicely.

NCLSEA123 Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001 (Post 20634577)
That's a very valid option to ensure BC (for 4 credits per person) and of course the security lane and free bags.

To the OP - Since your travel was booked prior to making Elite they'll likely have to reenter your A+ number to update current status.

I think the reentering the number thing is a Southwest problem. I was just able to change to an exit row for free, and it sent me a confirmation email saying "thank you AirTran preferred customer."

traveller001 Apr 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 (Post 20640967)
I think the reentering the number thing is a Southwest problem. I was just able to change to an exit row for free, and it sent me a confirmation email saying "thank you AirTran preferred customer."

Well congrats then! Did you try it on the May reservation?

NCLSEA123 Apr 26, 2013 5:23 am

Originally Posted by traveller001 (Post 20653459)
Well congrats then! Did you try it on the May reservation?

Yep