Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transferring SO's SW RR points to my Airtran account?

Old Apr 3, 13, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Hello Flyertalk!

I have an interesting Airtran/Southwest rewards question and hope someone would be able to give me advice.

My girlfriend and I are flying Airtran to the Bahamas in two weeks. I booked the tickets using vouchers I received for being bumped. That's all good.

I would like to upgrade us to business class for the flight there. It takes 4 A+ credits per person per one-way to upgrade. In my Airtran account, I have 6 A+ credits. I have 2230 Southwest Rapid Rewards points, just shy of the 2400 points I need for 2 more A+ credits.

My girlfriend currently has over 2400 points in her Southwest Rapid Rewards account. If I could somehow combine her points with mine, we'd be able to upgrade to business class at no cost.

Is there a way to make this work? Am I allowed to use the SW/Airtran reward transfer tool to move her SW RR points to my Airtran account? If I do, will her SW account and my A+ account be forever linked? Ideally, if I could just move 300 of her points to my A+ account for .25 credit, and 2100 of my points for 1.75 credits, we could both fly Business class.

I feel like buying the A+ credit I'm short for $39 is a waste since I could just buy the upgrade at $69 at the airport.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:07 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
When you use the transfer tool, it asks for the login credentials at AirTran.com or southwest.com Once logged in, it displays the current balance and asks you how many credits/points you want to transfer. I'm not sure if there is a name matching involved.

When United and Continental merged and they created their tool, you needed to make sure your personal information matches exactly to be able to transfer. Not sure if Southwest/AirTran do that. You can give it a shot and have her log in with her account info and see if you can transfer points from her SW account to your AirTran account.

While most airlines allow you to share miles with friends and relatives, I didn't find that option on southwest.com, so it doesn't look like you can combine points from both accounts.

P. S. I believe it takes 4 credits to upgrade a single fight, not necessarily one-way. If you have a connecting itinerary, the upgrade might only work for 1 of the segments.

Last edited by Phoenixtinct; Apr 3, 13 at 2:17 pm
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:40 pm

Programs: A+ Elite
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct View Post

P. S. I believe it takes 4 credits to upgrade a single fight, now necessarily one-way. If you have a connecting itinerary, the upgrade might only work for 1 of the segments.
Actually, when upgrading with points, you will upgrade both legs of one way travel as I do on a regular basis. When upgrading with cash, you pay to upgrade each segment individually.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Old Apr 3, 13, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peedee3400 View Post
Actually, when upgrading with points, you will upgrade both legs of one way travel as I do on a regular basis. When upgrading with cash, you pay to upgrade each segment individually.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 4, 13, 6:45 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
I know that it won't work to directly convert her southwest points to your airtran account. I've tried it, and it doesn't work. So there are a couple of options.

The best, (if it works, and you'd need to call airtran CS to ask) would be if they'd let you use two of your credits, and 2 of your girlfriend's to get her upgrade. I know from experience when you call in that you are able to specify which account the credits come out of, but I've only tried it from accounts where all four credits for a given passenger come from the same account.

The second case, I believe there is a $20 fee to transfer a single credit from one Airtran account to another. you could convert her points to credits and then roll 2 credits from one A+ account to the other. You might need less than 1 rolled, in which case, i'm not sure what the fee is. But the fee for 1 is $20 (might be $19)

Lastly, you could just buy WN points and convert them. I believe the prices are listed on the rapid rewards website, I don't have time to look them up ATM, but I think you could top off for $20 to have enough to get yourself to the equivalent of 8 A+ credits.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your BC experience while you can!

Search this Thread