Wiki Posts
Search

9 A+ credits due to expire soon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
9 A+ credits due to expire soon

Any idea how to save 9 A+ credits from expiring soon?

I have SW Rapid Rewards account and can do AirTran->SW and vice-versa, but not sure if this will refresh the A+ credits expiry for another year?

I've heard that 16, 32, 48 are the magic numbers for AirTran->SW conversion. Will welcome advice for a person like me who has 9 A+ credits.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
FWIW, I do have 20K+ points in my SW account, and 1 standard roundtrip award (from the old SW program) expiring in March-2014.

Any advice on how to keep my 9 A+ Air Tran credits from expiring? TIA.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:37 pm

One used to be able to convert four of them in to upgrade vouchers to be used later for BC upgrades. Is that still an option? If so, you could use 8 of them to get two upgrade vouchers. You can also pay $29 each to extend them for one year, not really worth it IMO since you can probably buy a one way ticket to many destinations for less than the extension fees.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by raj_cl
FWIW, I do have 20K+ points in my SW account, and 1 standard roundtrip award (from the old SW program) expiring in March-2014.

Any advice on how to keep my 9 A+ Air Tran credits from expiring? TIA.
So you need 7 more credits to create a standard WN roundtrip. At 1200 points per credit you seem to have enough more than enough points to accomplish that.

Transfer 8400 points to Airtran for 7 credits. Then transfer 16 credits back for a WN standard award.

You now have the magic 16 number for the next step once the standard award is created.

Last edited by traveller001; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:49 am
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by traveller001
So you need 7 more credits to create a standard WN roundtrip. At 1200 points per credit you seem to have enough more than enough points to accomplish that.

Transfer 8400 points to Airtran for 7 credits. Then transfer 16 credits back for a WN standard award.

You now have the magic 16 number for the next step once the standard award is created.
This is not necessary. All the OP needs to do is transfer the 9 credits from AirTran to Southwest and then issue a Standard Award - when requesting it, Southwest will automatically ask you to confirm you want to convert the required number of points needed for the missing credits, i. e. 7 in this case or 7*1200 = 8400 points After that, you'll have a standard award with 1 year expiration, so with the other one you have, you'll have 2 standard awards, which is 2 round trips or 4 one-ways. I'd recommend transferring to Southwest as close to the expiration of the credits as possible, i. e. if they expire on April 8th, you can transfer the credits to Southwest on April 7th and then issue the award, that will give you until April 7th, 2014 to use.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Actually, he doesn't need to use ANY of his points. Converting points to credits is permanent...once you convert from points they are stuck as either A+ credits or SW RR1.0 old award credits. Better to keep them as points for flexibility...

You can convert the standard awards (SW) into credits (FL), then convert the credits back to rewards (SW). May have to do this twice to re-characterize all the credits. Then you'll reset the expiration date and end up with either 9 freshly dated credits and an old SW RR1.0 award, or 25 credits with fresh dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.