Wiki Posts
Search

advice on keeping pts alive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: LFFRS BOD
advice on keeping pts alive

I have 3 credits in Airtran expiring this August, I just got approved for the Chase Airtran card for 32 pts which I will transfer to Southwest.(eventually)

I have a Choice Hotels Privilege card with 6k pts that I can transfer to SW and get 1800 Southwest points

I would like to save the expiring 3 Airtran pts without the extra cost.

I also have the option of transferring with a $19 cost per credit to my husband's Airtran account ( canceled card) that now only has 13 credits.

I have never flown Southwest and am confused about the transferring points - seeding an award? ( 2pt or 6pt step?)

thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by duranza
I have 3 credits in Airtran expiring this August, I just got approved for the Chase Airtran card for 32 pts which I will transfer to Southwest.(eventually)

I have a Choice Hotels Privilege card with 6k pts that I can transfer to SW and get 1800 Southwest points

I would like to save the expiring 3 Airtran pts without the extra cost.

I also have the option of transferring with a $19 cost per credit to my husband's Airtran account ( canceled card) that now only has 13 credits.

I have never flown Southwest and am confused about the transferring points - seeding an award? ( 2pt or 6pt step?)

thanks for any advice.
First read the Wiki discussion here: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...nsfer_six-step

Then here's what I *think* you should do:

1. Wait until you get the 32 credits.

2. Transfer 3 A+ credits to Southwest. Confirm that the expiration date shown on the Southwest side is August 1, i.e. that the oldest credits were moved.

3. Transfer another 13 A+ credits to Southwest. This generates a new expiration date one year away.

4. If you want to redeem for AirTran travel, move the credits back to AirTran. Otherwise every month or two move the 16 credits from Southwest to AirTran and then right back to Southwest to refresh the expiration date.

As to your husband's 13, get him the other 3 before any of the 13 expire. You may have time for Rapid Rewards shopping or Dining points to post. Rent cars for 600 points each plus any bonus points. Some people get really good deals on those. Or if you value your points properly you probably just want to buy the needed 3600 points on the Southwest side for $25 per 1000. As a last resort you can pay the $19 each to move your points to him, but that robs your points account.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

thank you nsx..So understanding this.. so once I get the 32 pts in my Airtran account I will move my expiring 3 to my new southwest account then an additional 13 from my newly acquired 32 then 3 more to my husband's account plus his 13 that expire in 2014 ( didn't know I could do that) then all back to Airtran
hmm? I thought I read in that link that the expiration date stays the same.

oh my is it true that I can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to top off the award too?

Last edited by duranza; Feb 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:37 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
thank you nsx..So understanding this.. so once I get the 32 pts in my Airtran account I will move my expiring 3 to my new southwest account then an additional 13 from my newly acquired 32 then 3 more to my husband's account plus his 13 that expire in 2014 ( didn't know I could do that) then all back to Airtran
hmm? I thought I read in that link that the expiration date stays the same.

oh my is it true that I can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to top off the award too?
Think of your accounts separately from your husband's. Take care of them as stated. Remember that the magic numbers are 16, 32, 48, etc. Any time you have 16 getting stale you just send them to Southwest for a refresh, and bring them back if you want.

You are correct that UR points can get him the 4800 RR points he needs to reach the magic 16. They do NOT count for Companion Pass but they count for redemption and similar use. If you can't think of a way by 2014 to avoid spending the $19 to move points from your account to your husband's I'm afraid I'll have to revoke your FT credentials.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

how many UR points would I need for the 4800 RR or the 3A+ credits he needs for an award? and can I use my UR points for his account?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:19 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

how many UR points would I need for the 4800 RR or the 3A+ credits he needs for an award? and can I use my UR points for his account?
I believe you can still use UR points for a spouse at the same address, but I need to educate myself since the rules appear to be tightening. I think the transfer ratio is 1 to 1 from UR to RR. I really should know this since I have 100k UR points just hanging around...

To research this, go to the Credit Card Programs forum. The TalkBoard is currently discussing the pros and cons of splitting the Chase UR content into a dedicated UR forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.