FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   Miles theft attempt? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1429493-miles-theft-attempt.html)

longleaf Jan 19, 2013 9:41 am

Miles theft attempt?

I signed up both myself and my mother for an Chase Airtran credit card (the 32 credit offer with $2,000 in spend).

I never received a ff# from Chase or Airtran in the mail, despite signing up for the cards nearly 2 months ago. I met the spend on both cards. I contacted Airtran to get my FF# from them. They said one doesn't exist in my name or address/email. So i called Chase to see if they would give me the frequent flyer numbers. They gave me the two numbers for the two accounts. I go to Airtran and type in the number into password recovery, and it says "success, your new password has been sent to xxxxx.netzero.net. I don't use netzero for anything. I tried the same thing with my mom's ff# and it said, "success your new password has been sent to [email protected] (an email i don't recognize). Both email addresses had an email kind of similar to my real one except it looks false (and my emails are pretty unique).

So, I call Airtran and they said my FF# is tied to a guy in Florida. I ask them about my mother's FF# and they said that is tied to a different person in Florida in a nearby town.

I called chase and they had me create new FF accounts at Airtran website that they would now link to the credit cards. The weird thing is that neither I nor my mother have ever had an Airtran account, so it was created by Chase during the application process. I'm wondering if someone working at Chase is trying to divert miles on new accounts for the signup bonus.

I just hope my signup miles post properly now, given all the drama and new accounts created. I was assured they would, but you never know.

guv1976 Jan 19, 2013 9:58 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm sorry for the trouble you are experiencing.

To prevent the possibility of recurrences, I suggest obtaining a frequent-flyer number directly from the airline before submitting the credit-card application. If you include your (already-obtained) FF number on the credit-card application, I think that there is less chance of shenanigans like this occurring.

And I would ask to speak with Chase's Fraud Department, to ensure that a proper investigation is taking place at Chase's end.

nwflyboy Jan 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 20082023)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm sorry for the trouble you are experiencing.

To prevent the possibility of recurrences, I suggest obtaining a frequent-flyer number directly from the airline before submitting the credit-card application. If you include your (already-obtained) FF number on the credit-card application, I think that there is less chance of shenanigans like this occurring.

And I would ask to speak with Chase's Fraud Department, to ensure that a proper investigation is taking place at Chase's end.

Agree with all the above. I'd also be especially vigilant about anything else that might hint at a wider problem - FF accounts are one thing, but with credit cards involved there's a potential for much bigger troubles. Checked your credit report recently? Now might be a good time to ask for a copy.

Hope this turns out to be nothing more than a fatfinger mistake at the airline's end.

danielguinness Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm wondering if someone might have hacked into your or your mother's email account, stole the info then deleted the email? Thanks for the heads up because I just signed up for a Marriott CC without a membership number. I figured they would open one up for me and send the info.