FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   First flight on Air Tran (717) - some questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1377916-first-flight-air-tran-717-some-questions.html)

SkiAdcock Aug 16, 2012 11:15 am

First flight on Air Tran (717) - some questions

I've never flown Air Tran before.

A friend gifted me an airline ticket to attend an event she's hosting in Maryland this weekend. Flying GRR-BWI non-stop on a 717 tomorrow & back on Mon.

She 'bought' it using her Amex points. I would have thought that was an award ticket, but it shows a $$ amount & then a cost in points to her to cover the $$ amount. So I'm a bit confused on whether this is a revenue or award ticket.

I ask for a couple of reasons - if it's award presumably I couldn't upgrade to biz class. Also, if there's irrops, does being on award make it more complicated for re-booking?

My understanding is the 717 is an RJ. Does that mean I can gate-check carry-on & thus not pay a baggage fee, or am I required to just check. I haven't looked at the AT site to see what baggage fee is yet.

Also, is it worth paying $$ to get a pre-assigned economy seat or just go w/ the flow since it's a 90-minute flight. I guess the same would apply to biz class - since the flight is so short, it's probably not worth upgrading (if I'm even allowed to given the nature of the ticket). But if I did, is there any food/drink involved?

Is there any advantage to doing on-line check-in, or should I just check in at the airport. GRR is small, although obviously BWI is larger.

Any helpful hints greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

BlaiseBOS Aug 16, 2012 11:40 am

the 717 is not an RJ. It's a full size aircraft, but not as large as the 737. If you visit the AirTran site you can learn more about it. The bins are large enough for a reasonable carry-on, and if you can't get it overhead, you can gate-check it for free.

Seating is 2-3.

Perfectly comfortable plane for a short trip. Minimum Biz upgrade is now $69, and I think that is steep unless you are checking a couple of bags and will drink your share, plus the more comfortable seat, priority boarding, etc. No meals, just nicer bags of chips and cookies, vs. pretzels. I recommend checking-in online at T-24 to get the best possible seat. There is an advantage at BWI to being able to jump a sometimes very long security queue.

dk240t Aug 16, 2012 11:54 am

Yeah, you shouldn't need to buy a seat ahead of time - with a 2-3 configuration, if you check in at ~24hrs in advance, you should be able to select a non-middle seat no problem. Airtran doesn't block off all the non-middle seats for members with status or those who pay a fee like some airlines sometimes do.

You should be able to upgrade it if you like, although I would not think the value would be worth it. It isn't an "award" flight - so none of that matters - when you buy something with external points, to the airline its all the same - its a revenue generating flight. They don't care if it is your credit card or AMEX rewards travel's credit card.

PA42 Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Ski - If you want to send me a PM I can see to it that you get a good seat tomorrow.

I ask for a couple of reasons - if it's award presumably I couldn't upgrade to biz class. Also, if there's irrops, does being on award make it more complicated for re-booking?

It doesnt affect IRROPS nor does it affect upgrades.

SkiAdcock Aug 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

I now feel better about the plane thanks to you all. I've flown 3MM miles, but I'm still a basket case when it comes to RJs. So good to know it's more like a full-size plane.

I won't bother with the upgrade, as the flight is so short. PA42, I'll send you a PM. I'm within 24 window for tomorrow, but haven't checked in yet online as I wanted input from you all first.

Since it's a weekend trip I'll do carry-on & gate check if I need to.

Cheers.

PA42 Aug 16, 2012 12:19 pm

I won't bother with the upgrade, as the flight is so short. PA42, I'll send you a PM. I'm within 24 window for tomorrow, but haven't checked in yet online as I wanted input from you all first.

Do that ;)

SkiAdcock Aug 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks to those who answered my questions & to PA42 for help w/ seat assignment. :)

I'll do a 'trip report' after my flights. These will be the first non-UA flights I've taken (other than int'l) in years!

Cheers.

Jalen500 Aug 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 19135122)
Thanks to those who answered my questions & to PA42 for help w/ seat assignment. :)

I'll do a 'trip report' after my flights. These will be the first non-UA flights I've taken (other than int'l) in years!

Cheers.

Are you based out of gr?

abefroman329 Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS (Post 19134647)
Minimum Biz upgrade is now $49

Looks like they'll occasionally knock it down to $69 at the kiosk, but if you have an empty seat next to you, I wouldn't pay the fee on GRR-BWI.

BlaiseBOS Aug 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Misquoting me?

Gee, abefroman, how did you manage to "quote" me and yet change what I posted? I never put that $49 figure in my post.

I believe that the current minimum is $69, which is what I posted.

See: http://www.airtran.com/business_class.aspx

SkiAdcock Aug 17, 2012 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Jalen500 (Post 19135192)
Are you based out of gr?

GRR is my new home airport after many years being based out of LAX. Tstorms & blizzards make it more interesting when flying ;) :D

Was just on the AirTran site to check flight status, and realize they fly out of the same concourse as United does, which is my main airline. Just a few gates past UA. I also noticed that there are 3 flights/day GRR-BWI & am thankful my friend didn't book me on the 5:50am!

Cheers.

abefroman329 Aug 17, 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS (Post 19136315)
Gee, abefroman, how did you manage to "quote" me and yet change what I posted? I never put that $49 figure in my post.

Accidentally deleted part of your post and had a brain fart when I tried to reconstruct it - apologies. I'll correct my post. Still don't think $49 (or $69 for that matter) is worth it on GRR-BWI.

SkiAdcock Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/300.21.012; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Originally Posted by abefroman329

Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS (Post 19136315)

Accidentally deleted part of your post and had a brain fart when I tried to reconstruct it - apologies. I'll correct my post. Still don't think $49 (or $69 for that matter) is worth it on GRR-BWI.

just boarded. So far i'm impressed susan @ grr is a great employee. United could take some lessons on frienliness and boarding announcements!

HPN-HRL Aug 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Hey Sharon!

Sorry I missed your OP. By now you have experienced why I have been a fan of AirTran for the past several years - good people, fairly priced upgrades, and no RJs!

Jalen500 Aug 19, 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 19139362)
GRR is my new home airport after many years being based out of LAX. Tstorms & blizzards make it more interesting when flying ;) :D

Was just on the AirTran site to check flight status, and realize they fly out of the same concourse as United does, which is my main airline. Just a few gates past UA. I also noticed that there are 3 flights/day GRR-BWI & am thankful my friend didn't book me on the 5:50am!

Cheers.

Welcome to Michigan. I love gr