Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Feeling Duped - Seeking Insight / Advice on Redeeming Airtran Flight Vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Greetings forum members. I am seeking some advice and/or insight into successfully redeeming Airtran flight vouchers my family and I received after taking a voluntary flight bump on our way back from vacation in April.

Even though we had booked our flights nearly a year in advance, on our return trip back from FL to Buffalo, we somehow did not have "guaranteed seats" on our return flight connection out of ATL to Buffalo.

I had to be home for work, but facing an "involuntary bump", we decided to opt for the free round trip travel vouchers that the Airtran desk clerk offered us.

We were offered (3) Round Trip vouchers each, a total of 12, for myself, my wife and 2 young children. We were required to fly back to Orlando, FL the next day, after already having flown from FL to ATL. After a layover in FL, we were flown back to Buffalo, NY, adding about 36 hours to our return trip and a missed day of work along with 2 exhausted kids.

I figured I would make it up to them by taking them somewhere using the vouchers that Airtran provided us. We have tried over the past few weeks to book a flight to a variety of places that Airtran services, not around any holidays and to destinations that are not particularly popular in the summer months, but have been unable to find any flights or dates that Airtran will let us use our vouchers for.

We've been extremely flexible, and when we look at the flights we want to book ahead of time online they are virtually empty, but whenever we call Airtran they say the planes are full or the dates are blacked out. They won't let you book more than 6 weeks in advance of the flight using the vouchers, and then they tell you there are no voucher seats available.

We have tried to get just 2 tickets, 4 tickets, multiple destinations, completely flexible dates, and nothing.

Are these vouchers completely worthless? Just curious if anyone has had any luck redeeming similar flight bump vouchers with Airtran? I recorded a good portion of the conversation we had with the Airtran desk clerk because I was skeptical, and he made it seem like it was easy and that we could use them to travel anywhere Airtran flies.

Thanks in advance for any tips or insights into redemption.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I've actually found it relatively easy to use the bump vouchers (far easier than finding DL award availability at 25K miles in my opinion)... Writing this from Puerto Rico, on vacation, used bump vouchers for two of us ATL-SJU actually.
We booked this trip about 5 months ago for the Memorial Day week (I haven't heard about a 6 week advance booking rule).

Tip #1 - do all your research online. An itinerary that can be redeemed using A+ credits will be valid for bump vouchers as well. I always take this approach, then call and tell the agent exactly what flight I want knowing that it's available.

Tip #2 - if you are still running into problems, call AirTran's customer care line (not reservations) and be polite. They have the power to make things happen and will be more flexible with you closer to the departure date (ie if a lot of seats are still open 3-5 days out, they can open up inventory on a case-by-case basis).

Tip #3 - if you don't like what you are being told, hang up and call right back in and try again. Can work wonders.

Good luck!
Old May 29, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Using the online method I described above, it took me about 5 minutes to find an itinerary where you could use four bump vouchers. Arbitrary cities/dates, but as an example, you could fly 4 people using bump vouchers from Buffalo to Key West leaving June 5th and returning June 6-9 or 11-15. Play with their website and I bet you'll find something, especially since you are flexible with where and when. And Key West is an awesome place to visit if you haven't been.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:52 pm

..."An itinerary that can be redeemed using A+ credits will be valid for bump vouchers as well."

Is this published somewhere or rather your experience? I could not find any reference to this on the Airtran site. If true, this does simplify the process, as I assume you just find specific award flight itineraries, then call and book with your "bump" certificate.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:19 am

Not published, but my experience having booked about 10 bump vouchers in the last 5 years. Other flyertalk folks have also commented on this and I once had an A+ rep tell me this. So I think it's a pretty safe bet.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:05 am

How did you earn 3 RT vouchers/traveler?

SOP is 2 per VDB
Old Jun 10, 2012, 2:28 pm

I felt duped too. Never again, heck of a time trying to use them. Learned the hardway that they black out the only days I'd want to use them.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
With FL merging with WN, I wonder if these VDB vouchers could end up getting used on routes offered by WN soon enough.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Originally Posted by xooz
..."An itinerary that can be redeemed using A+ credits will be valid for bump vouchers as well."

Is this published somewhere or rather your experience? I could not find any reference to this on the Airtran site. If true, this does simplify the process, as I assume you just find specific award flight itineraries, then call and book with your "bump" certificate.
I have had the exact same experience as EmoryFlyer. Whenever something has been available using A+ coach credits, they've given it to me, no problems. In other situations, Mrs. Cooger72 has also been very successful in getting them to give us things that weren't initially "available" by asking nicely or calling back. Hasn't ever worked for me, but maybe I like her for the same reason it works on CSRs... Admittedly using these can be a pain in the butt, but going somewhere without even having to pay the TSA tax is a really great feeling.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:27 pm

The Airtran Bait & Switch

Have dreamed of getting bumped in exchange for free flights for years. Last year it finally happened. Was thrilled. Was flying back from family visit, so I had a place to stay even. Gate agents made the vouchers seem like best thing since slice bread. I'd be able to fly anywhere. First dose of cold water was when I went online to see how best use them I saw people claiming not only are Airtran's vouchers not worth their weight in gold, they're often not even worth anything, that it's so hard to book flights with them. I was a perfectly happy Airtran customer. I fly them multiple times a year and like their prices, their crews, and their gate agents. But these vouchers they give out are a scam. There were routes I tried to use them on where there was ZERO availability for MONTHS. Over the course of the past year, with hours spent reading message boards and playing around with their rewards site, repeated phone calls, and despite the fact I've take five trips during the last year, I was able to use one successfully (and even that one wasn't worth the hassle). The trick is to take advantage of their agents' inconsistent information; sometimes three agents will tell you there's zero availability but a fourth will say no problem and add a seat. Desperate to use the second voucher before it expired and with none of the dozen or so flights available I booked a questionable flight and had to cancel today. Turns out there's a $150 cancellation fee. One agent I spoke with seemed cognizant that their voucher program has flaws but the second one just repeatedly emphasized how I had agreed to the terms of the voucher. WRONG. I didn't never agreed to get bumped in exchange for a voucher with practically no value. Airtran may think its being clever by volunteers with an upsell followed by a stonewall but they are not helping themselves. In this case they've taken ten years of customer satisfaction and thrown it away. WARNING: Don't take the bait.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
At the very least, I feel that airlines should feel obligated to allow voucher holders to travel standby if they can't find a reservation. Or if the day before the flight, a certain number of seats are available, then they should be forced to open some seats for vouchers.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:11 pm

As far as I know Airtran is no longer giving out vouchers for free flights. They are now giving vouchers with a fixed dollar value, usually $200.00 as compensation for voluntary bumping.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
As far as I know Airtran is no longer giving out vouchers for free flights. They are now giving vouchers with a fixed dollar value, usually $200.00 as compensation for voluntary bumping.
True, that's a dollar amount credit that is good for any flight any time inside the expiration date.

Language on the VDB was changed over two years ago including capacity controlled.

With vouchers the change/cancel fee was normally waived one-time as a courtesy. It however didn't extend the expiration date. Flight must be booked by that date.

There is a thread somewhere here on FT that VDBs were exchanged for 16 credits. While that wouldn't always get a RT it would likely get a one-way in BC almost anytime.

Last edited by traveller001; Feb 23, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
There is a thread somewhere here on FT that VDBs were exchanged for 16 credits. While that wouldn't always get a RT it would likely get a one-way in BC almost anytime.
That I think applies to Round Trip Vouchers. I exchanged one the other day. 16 Credits will get always get you a round trip (capacity controlled).

Converting Vouchers to Credits seems to be the new (unstated) policy.

Another (unstated) possibility I discovered is that by whining Airtran dollar vlue vouchers may be used on Southwest flights.

Why in the face of the public pronouncements of Airtran's demise Southwest doesn't make these official policies is a mystery.
  • Why can't both carriers accept either carriers drink coupons?
  • Why aren't vouchers/credits interchangeable?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
[*]Why can't both carriers accept either carriers drink coupons?
They already are.. Post Feb 25th.

Well you got one wish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.