Business Class UG with A+ Credits

Old May 15, 2012, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Business Class UG with A+ Credits

I have looked through this forum and was able to answer most of my questions. I determined that I can call at 12:00:01am the day prior to departure to upgrade using A+ credits. Also, a call to regular reservations 800-AIR-TRAN will work since the A+ program department line closes at midnight.

Some questions I still have:
  1. There are two of us on the single itinerary. We have 8 A+ credit all in one account. I am thinking that we can use all 8 credits to upgrade both people to business class?
  2. We paid for seat assignments, I am guessing that will be credited and available for a future flight?
  3. Do elites still get upgrades at T-48 hours automatically. I know we will have a jump on those upgrading with cash at T-24 hours, but do Elites still get a jump or was that discontinued?
Old May 15, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by dioxide45
  1. There are two of us on the single itinerary. We have 8 A+ credit all in one account. I am thinking that we can use all 8 credits to upgrade both people to business class?
  2. We paid for seat assignments, I am guessing that will be credited and available for a future flight?
  3. Do elites still get upgrades at T-48 hours automatically. I know we will have a jump on those upgrading with cash at T-24 hours, but do Elites still get a jump or was that discontinued?
  1. I foresee no prob.
  2. I'd say yes. Wouldn't hurt to confirm with a call.
  3. First I've heard of that. No unpaid upgrade is automatic. Elites check-in at T-24 to crash the wait-list near the top. Paid seats trump everything, even crew non-revs. AirTran will seat a rival's flight crew in Business if there are unsold seats.
Old May 16, 2012, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LegalTender
3. First I've heard of that. No unpaid upgrade is automatic. Elites check-in at T-24 to crash the wait-list near the top. Paid seats trump everything, even crew non-revs. AirTran will seat a rival's flight crew in Business if there are unsold seats.
I remember reading here about a year ago where AirTran was providing automatic upgrades for Elites at T-48. I think it was a special promo for a short time after the Southwest announcement.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:57 am

I remember reading here about a year ago where AirTran was providing automatic upgrades for Elites at T-48. I think it was a special promo for a short time after the Southwest announcement.

Elites can purchase upgrades at 48 hours prior. The rest of the pax can purchase them at 24 hours prior.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by travelingfool23
Elites can purchase upgrades at 48 hours prior. The rest of the pax can purchase them at 24 hours prior.
Elites can also upgrade with 4 flight credits 48 hours prior. I have done this.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:19 pm

I have looked through this forum and was able to answer most of my questions. I determined that I can call at 12:00:01am the day prior to departure to upgrade using A+ credits. Also, a call to regular reservations 800-AIR-TRAN will work since the A+ program department line closes at midnight.

1) Yes, you can
2) Yes - they may even credit the credit card you used to buy the seat assignments, but failing that, the credit will be tied to your A+ account.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Drummer
Elites can also upgrade with 4 flight credits 48 hours prior. I have done this.
Elites as well as non-Elites can upgrade with 4 credits any time after a ticket purchase. There is no 48 hour window for credit upgrades.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Elites as well as non-Elites can upgrade with 4 credits any time after a ticket purchase. There is no 48 hour window for credit upgrades.
I'm almost certain you are mistaken. For non-Elites, the window opens midnight the day before departure time. For Elites, it's T-48 hours.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Originally Posted by Drummer
I'm almost certain you are mistaken. For non-Elites, the window opens midnight the day before departure time. For Elites, it's T-48 hours.
http://www.aplusrewards.com/a_terms_...sClassUpgrades

Getting Free Business Class Upgrades: Call us at 1-888-3-A-PLUS-8 (1-888-327-5878) to reserve your upgrade to Business Class anytime beginning midnight the day prior to departure. Four (4) A+ Rewards credits are required to redeem for a one-way Business Class upgrade.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
You are right. This was a special promotion during the winter of 2010/11... It lasted for a couple of months (the automatic, free elite upgrades) but the new upgrade process remained.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by cooger72
http://www.aplusrewards.com/a_terms_...sClassUpgrades

Getting Free Business Class Upgrades: Call us at 1-888-3-A-PLUS-8 (1-888-327-5878) to reserve your upgrade to Business Class anytime beginning midnight the day prior to departure. Four (4) A+ Rewards credits are required to redeem for a one-way Business Class upgrade.
Exactly right for non-Elites. For Elites the window opens at T-48 hours. I have done this on multiple occasions, though sometimes I have to remind the agent of this Elite benefit. Here's a link:
http://www.airtran.com/eliteupgrades/
Note, in particular, the last FAQ on the page.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Definately incorrect on both counts. That would severely impact revenue losing full BC fares. The whole upgrade idea is based on unsold BC seats.

Though Elites and Corp booking *full* coach fares do get automatic upgrades to BC at time of booking. So make sure you book using your account.

The Elite using credits inside T-48 upgrade is a holdover from the autoupgrade they ran during the holidays awhile ago.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
The Elite using credits inside T-48 upgrade is a holdover from the autoupgrade they ran during the holidays awhile ago.
Perhaps that glitch should be fixed?
Old May 22, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by PA42
Perhaps that glitch should be fixed?
I actually thought/dreamed that might have been a beta test for GA's to implement a t-40 upgrade script. Sure would simplify the UG process and as it was done then prioritize UGs on fare paid. If that UG switch could be enabled I'd be very happy.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Is that still accurate that Elites can use credits to upgrade at 48hrs? I don't see it anywhere on the website. Anyone have recent experience doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.