FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   AirTran-Southwest Reward Reciprocity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1337820-airtran-southwest-reward-reciprocity.html)

plagwate Apr 19, 2012 10:15 pm

AirTran-Southwest Reward Reciprocity

While I haven't seen any press releases or emails on this, it would seem reward point reciprocity is moving forward.

http://www.rewardsfarther.com/?ref=a...ointconversion

Thanks to boudinboat and acwan93 for uncovering the link over on the WN forum.

aviator8 Apr 19, 2012 10:33 pm

this is fantastic news. now i can get to some international (carribean) desenations. I will have to read through this to see how good the redemption value is. I wonder if they will honor/allow the SW companion pass to be used on Airtran flights. How did you find this?

mke9499 Apr 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate (Post 18427019)
While I haven't seen any press releases or emails on this, it would seem reward point reciprocity is moving forward.

http://www.rewardsfarther.com/?ref=a...ointconversion

Thanks to boudinboat and acwan93 for uncovering the link over on the WN forum.

1200 RR points= one A+ Rewards credit.

A video shows the process to transfer/convert in either direction.

Terms and conditions:

https://www.southwest.com/html/help/...onditions.html

The FL website has not yet been completely updated to reflect the changes.

Q: Can I transfer my A+ Rewards credits into Rapid Rewards Points? Can I redeem A+ Rewards credits for Southwest flights?
A: At this time, A+ Rewards and Rapid Rewards will continue to operate independently until our systems are integrated. For now, A+ Rewards credits cannot be transferred into Rapid Rewards points or redeemed for Southwest flights. In time, we plan to provide options for Members to earn and/or redeem in both programs. Rest assured that additional details will be announced as they become available.

Thanks for posting here. This is big news!

Au4882 Apr 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Huge. I've been waiting for this. Now I can use my buku WN points to fly from DCA instead of schlepping it to BWI...

plagwate Apr 20, 2012 6:36 am

Originally Posted by aviator8 (Post 18427079)
How did you find this?

I didn't discover the link myself. It was first shared here in the WN forum of FT.

plagwate Apr 20, 2012 6:42 am

Originally Posted by mke9499 (Post 18427090)
Thanks for posting here. This is big news!

You're welcome. Despite my disdain for WN, I still have love for my FL peeps on here. ;)

alggag Apr 20, 2012 7:59 am

I'm reading from my phone so maybe I missed something but FL credits can only convert into "classic" WN credits instead of points?

mke9499 Apr 20, 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by alggag (Post 18428931)
I'm reading from my phone so maybe I missed something but FL credits can only convert into "classic" WN credits instead of points?

From terms and conditions:

AirTran A+ Rewards to Southwest Rapid Rewards
1 A+ Credit -> 1 Rapid Rewards Credit
* If the number of AirTran A+ Rewards Credits transferred to Rapid Rewards Credits reaches a threshold equal to 16 Rapid Rewards Credits, a new Rapid Rewards Standard Award will automatically be generated. It will be valid for one year from the date of issue.

dickerso Apr 20, 2012 9:03 am

Per a yellow bird, transfers will start "next" Monday. I don't know if that means the 23rd or the 30th.

mke9499 Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am

I just transferred from WN to FL; the credits posted to my A+ Rewards account immediately.

Message displayed, following the online transaction:

Thanks! Your transfer should be immediate but, in some cases, could take up to 24 hours to update your account.
Please note that upon conversion, successfully transferred Credits with unique expiration dates may display as multiple entries (in date order, from oldest to newest) within the Rewards Activity Details page of your Rapid Rewards account or your A+ Rewards statement in your A+ Rewards account.
It's simple and very immediate! ^

I also received an email confirmation of the transaction from WN.

nsx Apr 20, 2012 12:55 pm

See the Southwest thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...l#post18430391

There are good opportunities to create and use Southwest Standard (capacity controlled) awards or AirTran awards from any mixture of new points, old Southwest credits, and current AirTran credits. I wonder if something this good can last...

knope2001 Apr 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499 (Post 18429548)
I just transferred from WN to FL; the credits posted to my A+ Rewards account immediately.

Message displayed, following the online transaction:

It's simple and very immediate! ^

I also received an email confirmation of the transaction from WN.

Good to see! So often things that look good at first end up being thornier than they should be. This will really help frequent flyers who find their AirTran flights taken over by Southwest. I've heard someone complain about this on BOS-BWI where AirTran flight schedules have been pared back, and they were not keen on earning Southwest credit.

This, at long last, throws a bone to AirTran customers as it opens up some new FF destinations, and it does not penalize them if their market turns into Southwest. It's not as convenient as earning AirTran credit right on Southwest. And because Southwest's program is a fare-based program, if your fare is less your credit is list. Fly BOS-BWI on AirTran and you get one credit. Fly BWI-BOS back home on Southwest, and your RR credit may only be a fraction of what tranlsates into one AirTran credit. But it's not orphaned credit if you fly Southwest.

cooger72 Apr 20, 2012 3:25 pm

This seems like a pretty convenient work around to expiring credits/vouchers. If you have an expiring WN credit, you can convert it to 16 A+ credits, which have the same expiration date, but if you those convert 16A+ credits back to rapid rewards credits, they'll become a WN voucher with an expiration date a year from the date of conversion... Sounds like a win for customers to me.

sharksfansd Apr 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by cooger72 (Post 18431911)
This seems like a pretty convenient work around to expiring credits/vouchers. If you have an expiring WN credit, you can convert it to 16 A+ credits, which have the same expiration date, but if you those convert 16A+ credits back to rapid rewards credits, they'll become a WN voucher with an expiration date a year from the date of conversion... Sounds like a win for customers to me.

Thanks for the info. This does sound great and fits my current situation, but want to make sure I am not missing anything.

I have a WN SA expiring August of this year (currently booked on a trip with it in May), but would rather use the SA in February of 2013. Before transferring my credits I reviewed the Terms & Conditions at this link:
https://www.southwest.com/html/help/...onditions.html

It appears that the original WN SA expiration date stands, but then there is this blurb: "If the number of AirTran A+ Rewards Credits transferred to Rapid Rewards Credits reaches a threshold equal to 16 Rapid Rewards Credits, a new Rapid Rewards Standard Award will automatically be generated. It will be valid for one year from the date of issue." Is this what you were referring too?

indual Apr 23, 2012 5:31 am

I just received the official e-mail.

Rewards Conversion with AirTran A+ Rewards® is Here!

Dear xxxxxxx:

We are excited to announce the introduction of Rewards Conversion between Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards and AirTran Airways A+ Rewards! Now your Rapid Rewards Points, active Credits, and active Awards, and active A+ Rewards Credits can be used for flights on either airline. That means that over 95 destinations including Mexico and the Caribbean are now accessible with your Rapid Rewards currency.

Your Rapid Rewards Points, active Credits, and active Awards can be easily converted to A+ Rewards Credits for flights on AirTran Airways, our wholly-owned subsidiary, at the rate below: •1,200 Rapid Rewards Points → 1 A+ Rewards Credit
•1 Rapid Rewards Credit → 1 A+ Rewards Credit
•1 Standard Award → 16 A+ Rewards Credits
•1 Freedom Award → 32 A+ Rewards Credits

Visit rewardsfarther.com to view detailed steps and videos to learn more about how Rewards Conversion works.