Wiki Posts
Search

BWI - Bermuda Duty Free?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, USAir, Hilton Honors
BWI - Bermuda Duty Free?

We'll be flying in a few weeks to Bermuda via BWI on AirTran. Is this flight considered International and thus accessible to duty free? We'd love to pick up some adult beverage to take with us if it is.

Has anyone flown this route and know for sure?

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:51 pm

Strict customs

Flew Airtran on an award to Bermuda in June.

Bermuda Customs is strict. Normally bringing in groceries in most countries will not subject you to duty. It will in Bermuda.

The Bermuda government website has an entire section devoted to their strict customs regulations.

Going back to the states, the only thing I took was some Bermuda Black Seal Rum.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta, US Airways, Continental, HHonors
Dutyfree Limits
All travellers are able to import the following items without paying duty: alcoholic beverages not exceeding one litre of spirits and one litre of wine; any accompanied tobacco not exceeding 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars and 0.5 kilograms of tobacco. Please note that duty must be paid on beer (approximately 30˘ per can or bottle). Gifts up to the value of $30 per person are also permitted without attracting duty. Visitors may bring prescription medication sufficient for the duration of their stay provided that they are contained in the pharmacy packaging bearing the prescription label.

Prohibited and restricted items include spearguns, firearms and ammunition.

As with any other international destination- don't bring meat or produce....
We always pack things like powdered gatorade mix, oatmeal packets, granola bars, with no issues....
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

OK ... that sort of answers my question. To be more clear: Is there duty free shopping available at BWI for passengers to Bermuda? We will have about an hour and a half layover on Sunday morning on our way there.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta, US Airways, Continental, HHonors
yes, in Terminal E
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Not to complain, but it looks like our AirTran flight comes in at gate D23 and the Bermuda flight goes out of D25. Terminal E is separate and requires its own security check which means we couldn't get anything "liquid" even though it is duty free through.

That's why I was asking if anyone had actually purchased duty free at BWI before boarding their AirTran flight to Bermuda.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:24 am

No Can Do

Duty free told me they wouldn't sell to me because there wasn't enough time to deliver it to the gate.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you LegalEagle. I was looking for someone with personal experience and you've answered my question.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

One more question. I read that you clear US Customs prior to boarding the plane on your way back into Bermuda. Is the duty free shop before or after security and customs? Any way to purchase duty free alcohol before boarding the plane back to the US (BWI in particular)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.