Wiki Posts
Search

Age restriction in lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Age restriction in lounges?

I was wondering if there's an age restriction for minors, if not accompanied by an adult in lounges? Is it global or different from each lounge?

Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that I'm looking for information for the lounges in CPH and EWR, as I have a soon who's 16 years old and travelling on my points to visit me. Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
It probably depends on who is running the lounge, but I know that NWA's World Clubs require all guests to be at least 21. The only exception is if you are travelling with a family member who is at least 21.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Technically many require you to be 21 but as a 20 yr old I've never had a problem accessing any lounge including EWR, CLE, MSP, and overseas (mostly CO and NW).

I guess my advice would be to make sure he dresses up a bit to look the part, i.e. khakis and collared shirt as opposed to jeans and a t-shirt.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:17 pm

You said he is traveling on your points to see you; does that mean you are not with him? If so, he will not be able to access the lounge (unless he is elite) or in C
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers so far

I'm using points for him to travel in C, that's the reason for the current discussion.

I just checked the SAS site, and at CPH it's SAS operating it's own lounge and in EWR it's the United's Red Carpet Club. Do you think they'll allow access for a 16 year old travelling alone at those lounges?

I'll ask him to wear some "decent" clothes
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I'm 17, and despite what the official rules may say - and I'm not sure what they say, since I've never bothered to check - I've had no problems. I've also had plenty of people offer me drinks in my travels. Of course, YMMV.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Scifience
I'm 17, and despite what the official rules may say - and I'm not sure what they say, since I've never bothered to check - I've had no problems. I've also had plenty of people offer me drinks in my travels. Of course, YMMV.
Are you male or female?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
The T&C on UAL.bomb do not state an age limit however you must be tastefully dressed in consideration of the "atmosphere". Also the *A site refers only to an age limit in BD clubs. Your son should be fine.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Are you male or female?
I am male and have had drinks offered to me both in airports and in the air. From the time I've been about 17, I have never been challenged upon ordering a drink in Y TATL on KL, NW, or LH.
YMMV.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Are you male or female?
Male. And I have had drinks offered to me both at the airport and onboard various airlines numerous times. Maybe I look older; maybe it is because I am typically dressed "business casual" rather than in a t-shirt and jeans.

In any case, why the ?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Scifience
Male. And I have had drinks offered to me both at the airport and onboard various airlines numerous times. Maybe I look older; maybe it is because I am typically dressed "business casual" rather than in a t-shirt and jeans.

In any case, why the ?
Because the situation could have been that you were a 17-year-old girl, traveling alone, that was being offered drinks by older male passengers. That deserves a as it conjures up all sorts of creepy consequences. A 17-year-old boy getting offered drinks by a bartender or flight attendant is not -worthy perhaps, although his mother or father might think so!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:09 am

The CO EWR PC does not allow my 16-year-old son in unaccompanied.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for all the replys - I'll ask my son to wear some decent clothes, and we'll see what happens ... Thanks again.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:34 pm

Location: YOW, but formerly SJC/SFO, LGA, YUL, YGK, and ultimately YQQ
Programs: Altitude 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, occasionally the odd Accor hotel
AC's policy is that minors must be accompanied, although on more than one occasion when I was under the age of majority I was questioned. If he looks close to legal age and acts the part he should be fine. This might be different in the states but that has been my experience so far. I second the point on dressing the part too, when i've been in suits and under legal drinking age I was asked for ID far less than when I travel in jeans and my university sweatshirt now as a young looking and barely of age traveller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.