Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Do you have "Terminal Fear?"

Old Aug 26, 23, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes

So you have an AmexPlatinum and a Chase Sapphire Reserve, and when you fly you chill out at Amex Centurion Lounges and when flying Delta - their SkyClubs. With the CSR (Or Cap1 X. etc) you visit Priority Pass restaurants - "for free."

You often fly Premium Class...so you use those lounges. For those times in economy - you live in the above places. Or if you have status (Not I) you use the respective alliance lounges.

So, question - do you have "terminal fear?" Where you actually have to hang out with the unwashed masses at a gate bench or a restaurant where people actually pay out of their own pocket? The horror.
Old Aug 26, 23, 11:47 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
.... do you have "terminal fear?" Where you actually have to hang out with the unwashed masses at a gate bench or a restaurant ....
No. If we want a "meal" we go to a restaurant and pay. If the lounge(s) are a considerable distance from our gate we often go directly to the gate.
Old Aug 26, 23, 11:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Meh, I've taken the city bus to the airport to hang out in the lounge for free drinks before flights. I am part of the (un)washed masses. I just like hanging in the Polaris Lounge.
jebr, chrisl137 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Sep 2, 23, 6:34 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
So, question - do you have "terminal fear?" Where you actually have to hang out with the unwashed masses at a gate bench or a restaurant where people actually pay out of their own pocket? The horror.
Nope. You can get a crying kid or loud group conversation in either place, but the odds of quiet are better in the lounges than the terminal, even if you never eat the food or drink the beverages.

The seats tend to be more comfortable.

There tends to be more power outlets.

The masses are just as unwashed inside the clubs as outside. There are just smaller masses. It's not like you need a secret handshake or letters of reference to get in. Usually, it's a boarding pass and an ID, and you wouldn't be airside without those already. And some cash. Your choice to spend it on lounge access or something else.

It's not an absolute.

Earplugs may solve the 'quiet' issue for some.

If you only have to be there for 10 minutes, then seats probably don't matter much.

Power is available these days in most terminals, but you might have to queue up for it.

Your choice. Do or Do not.
Old Sep 2, 23, 6:52 pm

Before the renovation & expansion, I often chose to sit outside the terminal rather than the SFO CL. And, given I've whined & complained about the chicken thighs a gazillion times, I'd go to an airport restaurant if I were hungry. Actually, I really like the PF Chang's (I know, not really authentic, but I like it) in LAX, and really enjoy the section above the concourse where one can dine and peer down into the terminal.
Old Sep 4, 23, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
Only in IAD terminals C/D.
Old Oct 1, 23, 8:44 am

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Priv
Terminal fear kicks in at JFK's terminal 1. It doesn't matter if you're flying business or first, you are still jammed into a tight security queue and packed airline lounges...
Old Oct 1, 23, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Nope.

Regards
Old Oct 2, 23, 1:23 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Another point in favor of a lounge: People will get up and leave their laptop, phone, luggage, and other possessions unattended and/or at a distance/and or out of sight for short amounts of time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.