Plaza Premium ending Priority Pass, LoungeKey access [now reversed for PP]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plaza Premium ending Priority Pass, LoungeKey access [now reversed for PP]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by eng3
Any idea when they will announce the "small number of lounges which are still under review"?
By the looks of it none. I just learned this the other day and my parents were hoping to make use of the PP domestic lounge in YVR on their way back home. I went to check what's available in YVR and no lounge was listed. Sigh.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cuto
By the looks of it none. I just learned this the other day and my parents were hoping to make use of the PP domestic lounge in YVR on their way back home. I went to check what's available in YVR and no lounge was listed. Sigh.
It has been only 19 days since they were axed. So I would be patient.

BTW - why would you believe YVR would not be axed?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
It has been only 19 days since they were axed. So I would be patient.

BTW - why would you believe YVR would not be axed?
I wanted it to be SEAMLESS. LOL JK!

Oh, I was just meaning to reply that they took out YVR. Not that I believe the YVR lounge would/should be saved.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cuto
The PPLs in India are staying....that seems to be it.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:32 am

Priority Pass are showing Plaza Premium Lounge again, for example in MCO terminal C. Unless I am missing something.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by michael_v
Priority Pass are showing Plaza Premium Lounge again, for example in MCO terminal C. Unless I am missing something.
I wonder is it another "test", like https://onemileatatime.com/news/cath...priority-pass/
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
A few Plaza Premium lounges did stay in the Priority Pass network. If Plaza were returning to Priority Pass on a large scale I expect there would be an announcement.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
A few Plaza Premium lounges did stay in the Priority Pass network. If Plaza were returning to Priority Pass on a large scale I expect there would be an announcement.
It seems all the airports I tried on multiple continents that I know have a Plaza Premium lounge are showing it, although lounges that are not mainly a Plaza Premium lounge (e.g. the CUN lounges which is Mera by Plaza) do not appear to be in there. Seems surprising to me as I know lounges have been fairly full lately, even outside the US, so giving that much more additional access to what appears to be all PP cardholders will make it a madhouse and could likely result in less revenue (if a lounge is full and turns away Amex holders bc there are Priority Pass cardmembers in there, they are likely losing $5-$10 per entry net between the two programs).

I'd understand if this was simply underperforming lounges, but even places that I know are consistently slammed (LHR T5, etc) are in there as well.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:43 pm

Rumoured to be announced shortly https://blog.frequentflyerbonuses.co...worldwide.html , but I can't vouch for the source.
mia likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Rumoured to be announced shortly https://blog.frequentflyerbonuses.co...worldwide.html , but I can't vouch for the source.
I can vouch for it as I wrote that post with information from one of my contacts in the industry. Plus, seeing that all 13 lounges in Canada, several in LHR and other airports that were part of the 57 axed in 2021 are back on the Priority Pass website further confirms the news.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:25 am

A HK blogger was admitted to Plaza Premium HK on his Priority Pass today:

Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by percysmith
A HK blogger was admitted to Plaza Premium HK on his Priority Pass today:
That's awesome.

It's been a few years since I was at HKG. Will they accept my digital PP card?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by superdawg
I can vouch for it as I wrote that post with information from one of my contacts in the industry. Plus, seeing that all 13 lounges in Canada, several in LHR and other airports that were part of the 57 axed in 2021 are back on the Priority Pass website further confirms the news.
I guess good news for non-Amex/C1 PP holders as they get more lounges, but bad news for the Amex/C1 holders as the lounges that were already busy/packed will become even moreso now.

If they are doing this to raise revenue before an IPO (as your post mentions), it makes sense but I wonder if it is a long-term strategy or if this is to raise revenue, then remove the access in 1-2 years after the IPO when the focus becomes more on margins.
superdawg likes this.

Last edited by lowfareair; Jun 6, 2023 at 9:56 am
Old Jun 6, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I guess good news for non-Amex/C1 PP holders as they get more lounges, but bad news for the Amex/C1 holders as the lounges that were already busy/packed will become even moreso now.

If they are doing this to raise revenue before an IPO (as your post mentions), it makes sense but I wonder if it is a long-term strategy or if this is to raise revenue, then remove the access in 1-2 years after the IPO when the focus becomes more on margins.
Wonder whether the wait lists will be the same for PP vs Amex/C1 customers. As both an Amex/C1 customer, this is a devaluation.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Or it could be gross profit dollars. If you can push the limits of capacity more often, making less per customer could mean more in the long-run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.