Wiki Posts
Search

Plaza Premium ending Priority Pass, LoungeKey access [now reversed for PP]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Yeah, having the AMEX Platinum or higher somewhat compensates for this (only 1 guest with AMEX), but rumors are AMEX will jack up the annual fee by about $150 come July. They get you from every direction.
This would be a bold decision given most business travel is highly unlikely to return by then. Unless there are plans to add a significant new set of benefits, this would price the Amex Plat at a level that generally would make it uncompetitive against other card products in similar price points.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
This would be a bold decision given most business travel is highly unlikely to return by then. Unless there are plans to add a significant new set of benefits, this would price the Amex Plat at a level that generally would make it uncompetitive against other card products in similar price points.
According to rumors, they're going to add an annual $300 Equinox credit which is practically useless unless you're already part of that gym.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
FYI: Plaza Premium is ending its lounge access partnership with Priority Pass and LoungeKey as of 30 June 2021.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...nge-key-access
Part of this article also states:
"As a result, it is with regret that we have decided not to renew our contract with Priority Pass and LoungeKey, effective 1 July 2021 except for a small number of lounges which are still under review."
I hope those small number of lounges include ones in Canada like YYZ and YVR. Without Plaza Premium, there is basically no options left for domestic & transborder passengers.

At YYZ, for international and non *A, you can use the AF/KLM lounge. At YVR, for international you can still use the SkyTeam lounge.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Copa Presidential Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I’m not sure it is. IME plaza lounges are typically at the bottom end of the scale (admittedly I haven't visited the star locations in Asia). Almost zero presence in North or South America (except Canada which is currently off limits) and not much in Africa which is a continent where lounges are essential! Asia is actually the one place I don't need this option, with wonderful SQ, Cathay, Qantas and others.

in any case it appears this does not apply to Amex Plat, which has a separate deal (according to Gleff)
You are correct to say that’s in your experience. For us based in Canada it is a massive devaluation of the program!
Finkface likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Part of this article also states:

I hope those small number of lounges include ones in Canada like YYZ and YVR. Without Plaza Premium, there is basically no options left for domestic & transborder passengers.

At YYZ, for international and non *A, you can use the AF/KLM lounge. At YVR, for international you can still use the SkyTeam lounge.
Currently at YYZ T1 Dom Plaza Premium, unfortunately, unless changes happen, they are cutting Priority Pass on June 30.

I use this lounge 3 to 5 times weekly so I’m not very happy at all...
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 1353513636
According to rumors, they're going to add an annual $300 Equinox credit which is practically useless unless you're already part of that gym.
$300 off $2280 per year for the cheapest 1-club membership. Sure it's nicer than the $350 (frequently cheaper) 24hr Fitness, but not THAT much nicer!

Back on topic; yeah, serious devaluation of Priority Pass.
worldwidedreamer and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by KLM671
For us based in Canada it is a massive devaluation of the program!
Correction, it will be a massive devaluation when you are permitted to travel again without mandatory quarantines at prohibitively priced hotels. Maybe not for a while the way things are going there, eh?
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:09 am

Definitely, however some of us travel domestically even in these times, myself in particular, almost daily. So yeah, it sucks!
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:46 pm

Definitely, however some of us travel domestically even in these times, myself in particular, almost daily. So yeah, it sucks!
Thinking back, when I first visited the PP lounge at YYZ in January 2021, they aggressively wanted me to join the new Smart Traveller loyalty program. Of course I joined thinking that there is no harm in doing so as I will be earning points. Now just received a email providing the details of the new Plaza Premium Lounge Pass that is tied to the loyalty program. So probably this process has been in the making for a while.

KLM671 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Correction, it will be a massive devaluation when you are permitted to travel again without mandatory quarantines at prohibitively priced hotels. Maybe not for a while the way things are going there, eh?
Just use an AMEX Platinum then?
Old May 12, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Any idea when they will announce the "small number of lounges which are still under review"?
Old May 21, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by eng3
Any idea when they will announce the "small number of lounges which are still under review"?
No idea yet, certainly hoping the Canadian lounges will still accept priority pass. 2 days ago at Pearson T1 domestic I was the only person there. I inquired and the total pax they had that day so far at 5 pm was 26 guests, of which 20 were priority pass. It’ll be hard for them to stay open without priority pass till flights increase!
Old May 21, 2021, 7:40 am

Thinking back, when I first visited the PP lounge at YYZ in January 2021, they aggressively wanted me to join the new Smart Traveller loyalty program. Of course I joined thinking that there is no harm in doing so as I will be earning points. Now just received a email providing the details of the new Plaza Premium Lounge Pass that is tied to the loyalty program. So probably this process has been in the making for a while.

Yeah I raked up a fair amount of Smart Traveller points, about 6000 or so, all accumulated at YYZ. Not sure how much people value a lounge visit at, but those “deals” seem pretty bad to me, especially considering how right now there’s a sign outside the lounge inviting guests for 19.99$

Unless you drink massive amounts of their cheap alcohol (I don’t drink so I’m guessing I’m profitable to plaza premium even when using PP), I don’t think these lounges are worth 50$ or so per visit, but what do I know...
Boraxo and lsquare like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 1353513636
It almost makes me wonder if Amex is behind this change as it makes the Amex Plat more valuable and Amex was behind the Escape Lounges cutting ties with PP.
IMO - it does not. For decades, AMEX has a tendency to deal directly with the lounge operators. PP is a byproduct when AMEX lost CO PC (now UC). In this case, it happens that AMEX has a separate arrangement with Plaza Premium. Thus, saving the access. FWIW - even PP sponsored by AMEX has been affected as well.

The reason why this happens is simple - money. PP has been profited from various credit card. Yet, it fails to raise the reimbursement rate. And PP fails to address the massive crowd that put participating lounges in stress. Hence, lounges drop PP.

Originally Posted by econ
Had been to the HKG arrivals one a few times also, although apparently that one has been closed for over a year now.
That one was shut down permanently in light of HKG's T2 moving/expansion. Hence, Plaza Premium has built a new one in the airside.

I am pretty sure they will be axed. IMO - the small number will include the Greater China region only, i.e. Changshanan Railway Station, HKG, MFM, and TPE will be excluded from axing. Some Asian locations may get lucky as well. Keep in mind - Plaza Premium is picking locations to axe based on the impact by PP. In other word, the more PP admission, the more likely to be axed.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:56 am

Yeah I raked up a fair amount of Smart Traveller points, about 6000 or so, all accumulated at YYZ. Not sure how much people value a lounge visit at, but those “deals” seem pretty bad to me, especially considering how right now there’s a sign outside the lounge inviting guests for 19.99$

Unless you drink massive amounts of their cheap alcohol (I don’t drink so I’m guessing I’m profitable to plaza premium even when using PP), I don’t think these lounges are worth 50$ or so per visit, but what do I know...
Oh for sure I won't be getting one of these passes. Maybe Plaza Premium will try to sign deals with Mastercard or Visa...

$19.99 can be enticing now but it won't be like that for long

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.