Airline or Priority Pass lounge access on arrival

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Airline or Priority Pass lounge access on arrival

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL permits use of their lounges upon arrival, assuming that immigration/customs/TSA airport security permit you to get to the door of the [lounge.]
Never heard of this before. Which airports were you able to do this at?

Last edited by mia; Apr 10, 2021 at 5:50 pm
Old Apr 10, 2021, 5:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
There is nothing special about this. Any domestic airline will allow members to enter their lounge on arrival, provided you have access to the portion of the airport where the lounge is located. As a practical matter this means it will typically not apply to inbound international flights, and probably not to domestic flights which arrive at a different concourse UNLESS you have a connecting flight from the concourse where the lounge is located.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
There is nothing special about this. Any domestic airline will allow members to enter their lounge on arrival, provided you have access to the portion of the airport where the lounge is located. As a practical matter this means it will typically not apply to inbound international flights, and probably not to domestic flights which arrive at a different concourse UNLESS you have a connecting flight from the concourse where the lounge is located.
With this much restriction, it sure doesn't sound like there are lots of opportunities to take advantage of this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
With this much restriction, it sure doesn't sound like there are lots of opportunities to take advantage of this.
Depends on your individual travel pattern. Domestic Delta flights tend to arrive in the concourse where the Skyclub is located or one that has an airside connection.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I do it all the time. Pre-Covid I would do red eyes home from the west coast to DTW an duse the Skyclub to shower and change and go to the office or if I was taking the day off to refill my coffee cup. I've bene able to use my PP benefit at Restaurants upon landing before if I'm landing at meal time or have used the clubs if I was waiting on a friend on another flight. The PP lounges have also allowed me use upon arrival as well. It's only the Am Ex lounges that haven't allowed me access upon arrival.

Only time it's been an issue is landing at DTW off an international since I'm not connecting and can't reclear security or at international airports, but a lot of international airports have separate arrival lounges to showere and grab breakfast at anyway.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Depends on your individual travel pattern. Domestic Delta flights tend to arrive in the concourse where the Skyclub is located or one that has an airside connection.
Come to think of it, I think there is a SC in Terminal A when flying DL to BOS. Next time, I'll give it a try!
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I do it all the time. Pre-Covid I would do red eyes home from the west coast to DTW an duse the Skyclub to shower and change and go to the office or if I was taking the day off to refill my coffee cup. I've bene able to use my PP benefit at Restaurants upon landing before if I'm landing at meal time or have used the clubs if I was waiting on a friend on another flight. The PP lounges have also allowed me use upon arrival as well. It's only the Am Ex lounges that haven't allowed me access upon arrival.

Only time it's been an issue is landing at DTW off an international since I'm not connecting and can't reclear security or at international airports, but a lot of international airports have separate arrival lounges to showere and grab breakfast at anyway.
Thank you! I'll keep this in mind going forward. What do you if you have luggage? What can be done about it while I chill at a SC?

Besides DTW, which other domestic airport have you tried this? I'm assuming ATL, BOS, JFK, LGA, MSP, and SEA shouldn't have any issues?

Do you know if UA allow this with their lounges?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! I'll keep this in mind going forward. What do you if you have luggage? What can be done about it while I chill at a SC?

Besides DTW, which other domestic airport have you tried this? I'm assuming ATL, BOS, JFK, LGA, MSP, and SEA shouldn't have any issues?

Do you mean checked bags? I think you're pretty much out of luck if you have checked bags coming off the belt while you're in the lounge. Sometimes I've seen them take the bags off the belt and leave them nearby, other times they might check them in to the airline storage room. I probably wouldn't risk it.

You can use United clubs on arrival if you're a member or on an international itinerary with status (unless it's your first point of arrival into the country, in which case passport control dumps you landside).
Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
Do you mean checked bags? I think you're pretty much out of luck if you have checked bags coming off the belt while you're in the lounge. Sometimes I've seen them take the bags off the belt and leave them nearby, other times they might check them in to the airline storage room. I probably wouldn't risk it.
Yea, checked bag. Is there a real risk that it could be stolen then?

You can use United clubs on arrival if you're a member or on an international itinerary with status (unless it's your first point of arrival into the country, in which case passport control dumps you landside).
I intend to become a member by obtaining a Chase card with UC membership.

​​​​​
Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Yea, checked bag. Is there a real risk that it could be stolen then?
​​​​
I travel alone for leisure quite a bit and often meet up with friends who are flying in from another city. I leave checked bags on the baggage claim belt ALL THE TIME while I'm waiting in the lounge. I've done this in DCA, LGA, MCO, MIA, JFK, IAD, and others too.

The bags are sometimes still there, but most frequently they are at the baggage service office, and I just stop by and grab them. NOTE: I have very good travel insurance and high risk tolerance - I would not be overly angry (sure a little annoyed, but not too bad) if the bag went missing. So, it's at your own risk
lamphs likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I travel alone for leisure quite a bit and often meet up with friends who are flying in from another city. I leave checked bags on the baggage claim belt ALL THE TIME while I'm waiting in the lounge. I've done this in DCA, LGA, MCO, MIA, JFK, IAD, and others too.
I'm guessing you were waiting at the AA lounge since you have status with them?

The bags are sometimes still there, but most frequently they are at the baggage service office, and I just stop by and grab them. NOTE: I have very good travel insurance and high risk tolerance - I would not be overly angry (sure a little annoyed, but not too bad) if the bag went missing. So, it's at your own risk
How are you insuring your bag?

I always have my valuables with me. I never check them in. If my bag is gone, I'll just lose my sunscreen and clothes. It's not the end of the world, but very annoying having to go out and buy my necessities.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

No clue if united does or not. I know PP's T&C say you just need a same day ticket so you should be able to access a PP lounge.

I have used the Skyclubs on arrival at MSY, EWR, LGA, LAX, SFO and I think I did at Atlanta one time as well when I was waiting on friends on other flights. If it's a Delta flight I think their T&C just say same day ticket.

It's very rare I check a bag so not sure there but just check the status of luggage on your app. If it shows it hit the belt then just go to baggage claim right away. Even if the last bag comes off they usually leave it on the belt for a few minutes.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
No clue if united does or not. I know PP's T&C say you just need a same day ticket so you should be able to access a PP lounge.

I have used the Skyclubs on arrival at MSY, EWR, LGA, LAX, SFO and I think I did at Atlanta one time as well when I was waiting on friends on other flights. If it's a Delta flight I think their T&C just say same day ticket.

It's very rare I check a bag so not sure there but just check the status of luggage on your app. If it shows it hit the belt then just go to baggage claim right away. Even if the last bag comes off they usually leave it on the belt for a few minutes.
The problem is that if I go and pick up my luggage, I would leave the secured area. I don't think security will let me back in without a valid departing ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is that if I go and pick up my luggage, I would leave the secured area. I don't think security will let me back in without a valid departing ticket.
Sorry thought you meant you wanted to wait in the SC for a few until your bag came off the belt instead of waiting in baggage claim for your bag. In this case TSA wouldn't let you back in since you don't have a boarding pass out of that airport, plus if you are forced to check a bag due to size or the liquids you wouldn't be able to get the bag through anyway.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

This is getting really OT. You just have to read the rules for each lounge, with attention to the access eligibility type because some groups may only be allowed access on departure. Typically, paid memberships are allowed access on arrival. DL Sky Clubs apparently allow AMEX Plats access on arrival as well. Some alliance rules only require lounge access for certain eligible groups on departure, so clubs that don't wish to go above and beyond the alliance requirements (e.g., UC) will not allow access for those groups on arrival. Some airlines also offer access on arrival as a benefit to those flying own metal (e.g., Polaris) or to own-FFP members under certain conditions (e.g., UC with same-day international flight).

Centurion Lounges used to allow access on arrival, but that changed back in 2019 (when they also restricted access to three hours prior to departure).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.