FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airport Lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges-763/)
-   -   Lounge access in Vienna on arrival (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges/2011898-lounge-access-vienna-arrival.html)

unicon Mar 7, 2020 11:35 pm

Lounge access in Vienna on arrival

I'm in the process of booking our Europe trip and wanted to check if there is any lounge in VIE that can be accessed on arrival with Priority Pass?
We'll be arriving from AMS on OS biz.

Apologies if this is not the right forum to post this in. Please feel free to move it to the correct forum if there is one.

Comatose.Captain Mar 8, 2020 1:38 am

For future reference, questions on lounge access other than via airline ticket class or frequent flyer status should go in the airline lounges form.

I suppose the candidate lounge for you would be the Sky Lounge (Schengen) which is alright. But IDK if they accept arriving passengers.

unicon Mar 8, 2020 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain (Post 32155654)
For future reference, questions on lounge access other than via airline ticket class or frequent flyer status should go in the airline lounges form.

I suppose the candidate lounge for you would be the Sky Lounge (Schengen) which is alright. But IDK if they accept arriving passengers.

Thanks a lot for the response. Yes I had looked for that forum, but somehow missed it under Travel and Dining section. I will post the question there. Though if anyone here knows whether Sky Lounge allows access on arrival either with PP or biz BP, please do let me know.

thanks....

MichaelA380 Mar 9, 2020 1:28 am

If Vienna is your disembarkation point for this part of your trip, there will be no lounge you can use. You need a valid boarding pass for onward travel to get into a lounge.

unicon Mar 9, 2020 2:23 am

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 (Post 32158923)
If Vienna is your disembarkation point for this part of your trip, there will be no lounge you can use. You need a valid boarding pass for onward travel to get into a lounge.

Our final destination is Innsbruck, connecting in VIE. But we have a full day layover there, arriving around 9am and departing around 9pm. And we will be going out into the city.
Would VIE-INN boarding pass work for lounge access in the morning? As mentioned, we also have PP membership. Basically looking for a place to freshen up a bit before heading out to the city.

In other places I have been able to access priority pass lounges on arrival (without a same day departing BP), but I know not all lounges allow it. Hence was checking what the policy is at VIE.

Stuttgart21 Mar 9, 2020 8:40 am

Is the onward flight in Business Class as well? If so, you could access the Austrian lounges using your departing boarding passes to INN.

Otherwise, I would just go straight to the Sky Lounge Schengen and try it. They might not look at your onward boarding pass in detail. And if they do and tell you something about "three-hour maximum stay" or something I would just tell them the truth. You merely want to grab a quick coffee and a snack, freshen up, or whatever.

MichaelA380 Mar 9, 2020 1:38 pm

As the poster above has said, you will have to try your luck ... in order to have a chance of accessing the OS*A Business Lounge, your will either have to fly business to INN or hold at least M&M FTL status.

Your OS flight from AMS may arrive both at a remote stand or dock at a gate.
* If you arrive at a remote stand, the bus will take you to Schengen arrivals on the ground floor of Terminal 3. Once you enter the building, do not take the exit to Vienna but take the escalator up, which will take you up to Departures (this is the same floor on which the gate for your INN flight will be - as you are arriving from a Schengen origin and transferring to a domestic destination, you will not have to go through security).
* If you dock at a gate, once you reach the terminal, there will be signs. In can be that both signs point to the escalator up for exit and transfers, take the escalator, on the upper floor go to the end of the corridor and then take the escalator down to Departures. For some gates, there will be a sign up for exit to Vienna and a sign straight ahead for transfers - go straight ahead and you find yourself at Departures.
* In all cases, you will have to completely backtrack to the beginning of Departures, beyond Gate F1, then back through the food court and duty free to the exit from security - there you take a turn right and the escalator / stairs one floor up (look at the signs, everything is self-explanatory). Once there, follow the signs to the lounge area - once there you will see both lounges, OS*A on the right, Sky Lounge on the left. Feel free to try your luck whichever way you think you have better chances.

For getting out, exit the lounge, follow the signs to Gates F (which will require going a level down) and once at Departures take the nearest exit to Vienna sign.

By the way, all of the above assumes your luggage will be checked through to INN at AMS - otherwise, you will have to collect it at VIE, at check-in level there is a left luggage facility where you can store it and if at that point you still want to try your chances with the lounge, you will have to enter the secure area with your onward BP and go through security before following the process just described above.

unicon Mar 9, 2020 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stuttgart21 (Post 32159996)
Is the onward flight in Business Class as well? If so, you could access the Austrian lounges using your departing boarding passes to INN.

Otherwise, I would just go straight to the Sky Lounge Schengen and try it. They might not look at your onward boarding pass in detail. And if they do and tell you something about "three-hour maximum stay" or something I would just tell them the truth. You merely want to grab a quick coffee and a snack, freshen up, or whatever.

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 (Post 32161263)
As the poster above has said, you will have to try your luck ... in order to have a chance of accessing the OS*A Business Lounge, your will either have to fly business to INN or hold at least M&M FTL status.

* If you arrive at a remote stand, the bus will take you to Schengen arrivals on the ground floor of Terminal 3. Once you enter the building, do not take the exit to Vienna but take the escalator up, which will take you up to Departures (this is the same floor on which the gate for your INN flight will be - as you are arriving from a Schengen origin and transferring to a domestic destination, you will not have to go through security).
* If you dock at a gate, once you reach the terminal, there will be signs. In can be that both signs point to the escalator up for exit and transfers, take the escalator, on the upper floor go to the end of the corridor and then take the escalator down to Departures. For some gates, there will be a sign up for exit to Vienna and a sign straight ahead for transfers - go straight ahead and you find yourself at Departures.
* In all cases, you will have to completely backtrack to the beginning of Departures, beyond Gate F1, then back through the food court and duty free to the exit from security - there you take a turn right and the escalator / stairs one floor up (look at the signs, everything is self-explanatory). Once there, follow the signs to the lounge area - once there you will see both lounges, OS*A on the right, Sky Lounge on the left. Feel free to try your luck whichever way you think you have better chances.

For getting out, exit the lounge, follow the signs to Gates F (which will require going a level down) and once at Departures take the nearest exit to Vienna sign.

By the way, all of the above assumes your luggage will be checked through to INN at AMS - otherwise, you will have to collect it at VIE, at check-in level there is a left luggage facility where you can store it and if at that point you still want to try your chances with the lounge, you will have to enter the secure area with your onward BP and go through security before following the process just described above.

Thanks a lot for the detailed suggestions. Really appreciate it. We will do as you have suggested.
Just to give more info, we are 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). All 4 will be in biz AMS-VIE, but 2 will be in Y VIE-INN.

theboss7593 Nov 21, 2020 3:14 am

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 (Post 32161263)

What about one arriving from EWR with a 12 hour layover enroute to ZRH both segments in J... (would like to shower before heading into town for the day)

LondonElite Nov 21, 2020 3:33 am

When is this? I believe shower facilities are currently closed.

flyertalker28120 Nov 21, 2020 4:29 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593 (Post 32834090)
What about one arriving from EWR with a 12 hour layover enroute to ZRH both segments in J... (would like to shower before heading into town for the day)

You will be allowed access (the issue mentioned by LondonElite notwithstanding).

LondonElite Nov 21, 2020 4:37 am

I suspect that they will be a bit more strict with the time before your departing flight that you can access the lounge, even if you argue that you're just there for a shower. But if this is this year, assume you won't be able to have a shower. (Insert usual text about passport and residency requirements to enter Austria and Switzerland at the moment.)

theboss7593 Nov 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32834186)
I suspect that they will be a bit more strict with the time before your departing flight that you can access the lounge, even if you argue that you're just there for a shower. But if this is this year, assume you won't be able to have a shower. (Insert usual text about passport and residency requirements to enter Austria and Switzerland at the moment.)

Would be July 2021 for a wedding... Believe things will be better by then...

But arriving from a Non-Schengen going to a Schengen lounge, is there an extra process to this? Or am I better off getting a hotel for the day downtown to save time?