Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

24hr SkyTeam lounge in MAD - location?

Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, TK Elite+, HHonors Gold, FB, UA, AA

Hello everyone! The SkyTeam website indicates that there is a 24hr lounge in MAD - "Sala VIP Cibeles". I'm trying to understand which area is it located in, is it for Schengen or non-Schengen flights?

Basically, I have a friend who is arriving on a non-Shenghen SkyTeam flight in Y into MAD late in the evening and is departing at 6am on a Schengen flight in J w/ SkyTeam, so they should have lounge access ahead of that segment. Given the timing of the flights, seems like it would be best for them to spend several hours napping in the lounge, rather than heading into a hotel.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by dmitriy55
Hello everyone! The SkyTeam website indicates that there is a 24hr lounge in MAD - "Sala VIP Cibeles". I'm trying to understand which area is it located in, is it for Schengen or non-Schengen flights?

Basically, I have a friend who is arriving on a non-Shenghen SkyTeam flight in Y into MAD late in the evening and is departing at 6am on a Schengen flight in J w/ SkyTeam, so they should have lounge access ahead of that segment. Given the timing of the flights, seems like it would be best for them to spend several hours napping in the lounge, rather than heading into a hotel.
Look at the airlines that are mentioned for each lounge on the Skyteam MAD lounge page: https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...d-Barajas(MAD)

Different airlines give access to different lounges. The biggest question is which terminal your friend is flying OUT of, without that information we can only guess the answer to your question.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

They are flying out via a KLM flight, so it's very likely T1
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone - any insights on this?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:51 pm

It says 24 hours, so in that case you are fine and can most likely access it overnight, the issue is when they will allow the person access for their flight. Usually long connections are okay, but that varies by lounge. You may want to track down an email and ask directly. It can also help if the email says yes but the person at the reception desk says something like 'you can only enter 4 hours before your flight', in which case the email can help them get in.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
It says 24 hours, so in that case you are fine and can most likely access it overnight, the issue is when they will allow the person access for their flight. Usually long connections are okay, but that varies by lounge. You may want to track down an email and ask directly. It can also help if the email says yes but the person at the reception desk says something like 'you can only enter 4 hours before your flight', in which case the email can help them get in.
My experience is that lounges are generally okay in letting people enter long before the 3-4 hour mark before the flight. The formal rules are "the day of the flight", if I recall correctly.

Now, the problem is different though. I'm trying to figure out if the 2hr lounge is in the Schengen segment of the airport or in the non-Schengen one. Since the ticket is for a Schengen flight, it may not be possible to go into the "other" part of the terminal to access the 24hr lounge.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by dmitriy55
My experience is that lounges are generally okay in letting people enter long before the 3-4 hour mark before the flight. The formal rules are "the day of the flight", if I recall correctly.

Now, the problem is different though. I'm trying to figure out if the 2hr lounge is in the Schengen segment of the airport or in the non-Schengen one. Since the ticket is for a Schengen flight, it may not be possible to go into the "other" part of the terminal to access the 24hr lounge.
Given the airlines that can access it, I'd say one should be able to access it in the Schengen zone. I don't know Madrid T1, but I know BCN T2 and OPO both have it where the Schengen area is accessible to all travelers post-security and the non-Schengen area is cordoned off with Passport control. That sounds like T1 is in a similar situation, especially given the small number of gates there. I'd be very surprised if your friend couldn't access the lounge with a Schengen ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Given the airlines that can access it, I'd say one should be able to access it in the Schengen zone. I don't know Madrid T1, but I know BCN T2 and OPO both have it where the Schengen area is accessible to all travelers post-security and the non-Schengen area is cordoned off with Passport control. That sounds like T1 is in a similar situation, especially given the small number of gates there. I'd be very surprised if your friend couldn't access the lounge with a Schengen ticket.
Good to hear, thanks for the response!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended

Anybody know if the Cibeles lounge has reopened?

Oh and I have a Schengen flight. Contrary to what is stated in #7 , the lounge is located within the Non-Schengen area. So I guess the lounge may not be an option after all even reopened.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Anybody know if the Cibeles lounge has reopened?.
MAD website says no. Only Plaza Mayor lounge is open (Schengen/T4)
VIP Lounges - Aeropuerto Madrid-Barajas - Aena.es
flyertalker28120 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.