Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Lounge Hopping at Heathrow?

Old Aug 9, 19, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi Folks, I have a long 6.5 hr layover in Heathrow. I will arrive at Terminal 3 from the US and continue to Venice from Terminal 5. I assume since my flight connection is Terminal 5 that I will have to pass immigration and probably be exiting security. Will security allow me to return to Terminal 3 to enter an airport lounge there since I will have not have boarding pass for a Terminal 3 flight? Or am I able to stay airside in Terminal 3 and enjoy a lounge there before eventually exiting Terminal 3.

Also, how strict are airport lounges with the 3 hour maximum stay rule?
Old Aug 10, 19, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by monsterdaddy View Post
Hi Folks, I have a long 6.5 hr layover in Heathrow. I will arrive at Terminal 3 from the US and continue to Venice from Terminal 5. I assume since my flight connection is Terminal 5 that I will have to pass immigration and probably be exiting security. Will security allow me to return to Terminal 3 to enter an airport lounge there since I will have not have boarding pass for a Terminal 3 flight? Or am I able to stay airside in Terminal 3 and enjoy a lounge there before eventually exiting Terminal 3.

Also, how strict are airport lounges with the 3 hour maximum stay rule?

Hi monsterdaddy,
Welcome to flyertalk
Who are you flying with from the USA ( AA or BA) and I assume it is BA to Venice. ( Do you have AA or BA status or are travelling in business) or do you intend using Priority Pass If you stay airside you will not have immigration ( unlike the US) but will have security ( immigration will be done on arrival at VCE)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your kind reply. I will be on AA coming from the US and on BA to Venice. Single ticket purchase of basic economy and I have no status. I just remembered that arriving passengers go down to the second floor and either go to flight connections or immigration. That's why I am worried I won't be able to enter the upper floor of Terminal 3 where the lounges are without passing through immigration. Am I wrong on this?

As a follow up question, if I have a boarding pass for Terminal 5, will I be allowed to pass through security in Terminal 3?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by monsterdaddy View Post
Thank you for your kind reply. I will be on AA coming from the US and on BA to Venice. Single ticket purchase of basic economy and I have no status. I just remembered that arriving passengers go down to the second floor and either go to flight connections or immigration. That's why I am worried I won't be able to enter the upper floor of Terminal 3 where the lounges are without passing through immigration. Am I wrong on this?

As a follow up question, if I have a boarding pass for Terminal 5, will I be allowed to pass through security in Terminal 3?

Thanks again.
Hi,

I assume you will have a priority pass or other method of lounge access ( I use the Oneworld lounges in T3/T5 based on status so have not tried the Priority pass lounges)

With 6.5 hours , you can use T3 ;

There is a useful guide on the BA forum

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

After arriving at T3 follow signs for flight connections and the T3 flight connections ( you may be asked by the boarding pass checker that you do know your next flight is from T5 but you can say you want to do shopping or visit the lounge), then clear security and you are in T3 departures

After shopping/lounging at T3 there will be a sign for arrivals , follow that then there will be a sign for T5 flight connections ( you will take a bus to T5 and clear security then you are in t5 departures ( please ensure you allow plenty of time to do this -you will need to be at T5 transfer security entrance at least 35mins before the VCE flight leaves or you may well be denied boarding.

I am not sure if the airport lounges at T3 will allow you in with a T5 boarding pass ( the airlne lounges in T3 ie BA and Cathay had no problems)

There is a detailed discussion on the BA forum

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - On what basis will you enter any lounge?
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:28 am

Programs: ba silver
Unless things have changed you will most likely only have access to the lounges in the terminal you are flying from, in this case T-5. It would help if you were more specific about what type of access you have. Is your access via a third party lounge program or is it based on status of class of service.

If you arrive at T-3 you will either have to re-clear security and be given access to the terminal you are departing from or you can clear U.K Immigration and you will wind up landslide. If you are flying business or higher you will have access to the AA Arrivals lounge. You will not be able to re-enter T-3 with a boarding pass leaving from T-5. I fully understand why you would want to use some of the lounges in T-3 but if you try and do so they will ask you for you' re boarding pass when you enter the lounge and the official policy is for them to direct you to the terminal you are leaving from.

Personally what I would do if I had a six and a half hour layover and was not delayed I would stop by the arrivals lounge for a quick shower and breakfast and then hop the Heathrow Express and spend and spend a couple of hours in London and then make my way back to T-5 about two hours before my connecting short-haul flight. I' ve done it before and it feels much better than being inside an airport, regardless of how good the lounge facilities might be. Safe travels!
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I should have mentioned I have the Priority Pass for access to the lounges. I had a feeling I would not be able to get into Terminal 3 with a Terminal 5 boarding pass.

Thanks for the suggestion to visit London but on my way back I have a 19 hour layover so we will take advantage of that time to book a hotel and visit London.

Last edited by monsterdaddy; Aug 11, 19 at 12:33 pm
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:33 pm

Do you have Amex Platinum charge card as well or just Priority Pass. The only Priority Pass in T5 is the Aspire lounge and you wouldn't want to spend more than 30 mins there. Amex gets you access to Plaza Premium at T5 which is comparatively better. You can of course pay for Plaza Premium if you don't have Amex.
bunkunu likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. While I don't have a Platinum AMEX I do have some airline reimbursement credit I could use so this is a good idea!
Old Sep 18, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: qatar airways
Is there no chance of using the lounges at T3 if you are flying in first from T5 ( even if you spend 250 on shopping at T3?)

I have a late departure to Chile and will be at the airport for circa 12 hours pre departure.

Search this Thread